Solo trip to Europe..how much would this cost?

Watch
bloomblaze
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello

I'm probably asking this on totally the wrong forum, but here goes.

Im looking at options for a trip to Europe alone this summer.

I would like to visit Berlin and Prague.

I propose a flight to Berlin, stay in Berlin for 4 or 5 nights, then get a train to Prague and stay there for 4 or 5 nights, before flying home from Prague.

Does anyone know if this is a feasable travel plan?

How much would it roughly cost, I wonder?

(I dont think anyone here will know, but its worth asking!)
kopi, ffs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bloomblaze)
Hello

I'm probably asking this on totally the wrong forum, but here goes.

Im looking at options for a trip to Europe alone this summer.

I would like to visit Berlin and Prague.

I propose a flight to Berlin, stay in Berlin for 4 or 5 nights, then get a train to Prague and stay there for 4 or 5 nights, before flying home from Prague.

Does anyone know if this is a feasable travel plan?

How much would it roughly cost, I wonder?

(I dont think anyone here will know, but its worth asking!)
The cost will depend enormously on what you're after and how extravagant you want to be (hostel, B&B or hotel? Sandwiches from the supermarket, or restaurants? Wandering around, or going to lots of museums/day trips? How much entertainment/drinking will be involved?), but definitely in terms of time and destinations/distance, it sounds like a great plan to me. :fluffy:

I personally would be thinkin' about £350-£400 for that, all in (staying in hostels, eating/living mostly on the cheap but doing a lot of stuff all the same and a few expensive things).
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by kopi, ffs)
The cost will depend enormously on what you're after and how extravagant you want to be (hostel, B&B or hotel? Sandwiches from the supermarket, or restaurants? Wandering around, or going to lots of museums/day trips? How much entertainment/drinking will be involved?), but definitely in terms of time and destinations/distance, it sounds like a great plan to me. :fluffy:

I personally would be thinkin' about £350-£400 for that, all in (staying in hostels, eating/living mostly on the cheap but doing a lot of stuff all the same and a few expensive things).
I've never did solo travel before.

I would imagine that I would be staying at a buget hotel.

These seem to start at about £50 per night for both cities, so ten nights away would be at least £500 for accomodation.

The flights there and back arent too bad (Dublin airport) and the cost of the train between Berlin and Prague shouldnt be too bad (or too long either).

I wouldnt be eating in restauarnts, I wouldnt go into a restauant on my own, so it would be fast food and or sandwiches etc.

cost of hotel and spending money are the main costs
kopi, ffs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you have the money for it, then knock yourself out! I still think your accommodation budget is pretty high though. Check this place out (just a random one I picked from Prague - I don't know much about Berlin):

http://www.praguecityhostel.cz/en/?menu=rates
It costs about £32 per night for a private room (or £17 in a 4-6 bed dorm). You can find much cheaper places too if you have a look around.

Travelling alone is really great. You can choose what you do and when, and have plenty of time for reflection, meandering and the like. Still, I prefer staying in hostels (even if it is in a private room) because there's usually a nice atmosphere there and you can meet people to hang out with if you feel like it.

The Berlin-Prague train takes about 5 hours and you can get tickets for around £25 if you buy in advance. (Besides, train is a really nice way to travel around, especially in that part of the world ) https://www.cd.cz/eshop/default.aspx
bloomblaze
Rep:
?
(Original post by kopi, ffs)
If you have the money for it, then knock yourself out! I still think your accommodation budget is pretty high though. Check this place out (just a random one I picked from Prague - I don't know much about Berlin):

http://www.praguecityhostel.cz/en/?menu=rates
It costs about £32 per night for a private room (or £17 in a 4-6 bed dorm). You can find much cheaper places too if you have a look around.

Travelling alone is really great. You can choose what you do and when, and have plenty of time for reflection, meandering and the like. Still, I prefer staying in hostels (even if it is in a private room) because there's usually a nice atmosphere there and you can meet people to hang out with if you feel like it.

The Berlin-Prague train takes about 5 hours and you can get tickets for around £25 if you buy in advance. (Besides, train is a really nice way to travel around, especially in that part of the world ) https://www.cd.cz/eshop/default.aspx

thank you

have u actually been to either city?

if so, can you tell me anything about them?
kopi, ffs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thank you

have u actually been to either city?

if so, can you tell me anything about them?
I've been to both Berlin was a while ago though so I don't remember much. I do know it's a really great city with loads to do, quite a modern/young/dynamic atmosphere and basically a definite hit for visiting.

I've been to Prague loads of times and even lived there for a bit. It's a really awesome place. You can easily spend a couple of days just walking around admiring the place and soaking up the atmosphere before you even look into specific activities or day trips. The city centre is beautiful, quite big, full of nice buildings, cafés, and just a pleasant feeling.

Some highlights: Prague Castle (the big, impressive castle in the old town that's still used by the government), Charles Bridge and the old town, Petrin Hill, Vysehrad (an old ruined castle that's much calmer than Prague Castle), the view across the city up the steps at the north side of Cechuv Most (that's where the statue of Stalin used to stand), the Jewish quarter, the Communist museum if you're into history, a Kafka museum... erf, and plenty more. The transport system is good (especially the trams, which run all night) but you can walk around for ages without getting bored.

If you have a free day and want to get out of the city, you can take a train to Kutna Hora (a village whose main attraction is this awesome ossuary), Terezin (where there was a ghetto and concentration camp in WWII, now a memorial), Karlstejn (a kickass Gothic castle in the countryside).

It depends on what you're into really.
The-Dream
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you don't want to share rooms with strangers, I'd recommend airbnb. Should be a lot cheaper than £50/night in those cities which are both quite cheap accomodation wise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (4)
13.79%
Better than expected (7)
24.14%
Worse than expected (18)
62.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise