The Student Room Group

Simple Harmonic Motion exam question

For part b) i), I think the omega squared term is the force due to friction, the term on the right hand side of the equation is the driving force and b/m x' is the damping force? It's been a while since we did this and I can't really remember.
I've uploaded my answer to part b) ii) as it was easier than rewriting on here, have I done it correctly or have I done it completely wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the pictures being the wrong way, it won't let me rotate them!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Benniboi1
For part b) i), I think the omega squared term is the force due to friction, the term on the right hand side of the equation is the driving force and b/m x' is the damping force? It's been a while since we did this and I can't really remember.
I've uploaded my answer to part b) ii) as it was easier than rewriting on here, have I done it correctly or have I done it completely wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Sorry for the pictures being the wrong way, it won't let me rotate them!

mx¨m \ddot{x} is the D'Alembert force. bb is related to any form of viscous damping. ω\omega is the natural frequency. The RHS is the forcing function.

Quick Reply

Latest