how to study maths?

Watch this thread
nohomo
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is purely to study mathematics for my own interest, not for a qualification.

My current approach is to copy out the book I am studying. I did this with Three Pearls of Number Theory by A Y Khinchin, but I don't feel like it really sunk in.

I struggle a lot with concentration. Is copying out the Textbook just a complete waste of time, beaeing in mind I don't have the concentration to read my notes afterwards?
davros
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nohomo)
This is purely to study mathematics for my own interest, not for a qualification.

My current approach is to copy out the book I am studying. I did this with Three Pearls of Number Theory by A Y Khinchin, but I don't feel like it really sunk in.

I struggle a lot with concentration. Is copying out the Textbook just a complete waste of time, beaeing in mind I don't have the concentration to read my notes afterwards?
Copying out a textbook isn't studying!

Read the textbook, then do the exercises to test your understanding.
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by davros)
Copying out a textbook isn't studying!

Read the textbook, then do the exercises to test your understanding.
I really must Rate Some Other Members

You are the third PRSOM I have had today
davros
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
I really must Rate Some Other Members

You are the third PRSOM I have had today
No worries.

I get enough reward from knowing that I am the voice of sanity in many of these threads
Smaug123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nohomo)

There is nothing like doing exercises to get understanding. You can find lots of examples sheets on the Cambridge website, for instance, and I'm sure other universities do them.
Gondur
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Read thousand page textbooks written in size 8 font from the 1960s written in boolean logic with fading diagrams, lots of archaic language you'd expect only an Erudite professor to understand. Don't bother with these watered down revision aids because they don't give you a deep understanding and merely scratch the surface of the subject, written in a way that concentrates on answering the exam question, rather than truly understanding the methodology
Smaug123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gondur)
Read thousand page textbooks written in size 8 font from the 1960s written in boolean logic with fading diagrams, lots of archaic language you'd expect only an Erudite professor to understand. Don't bother with these watered down revision aids because they don't give you a deep understanding and merely scratch the surface of the subject, written in a way that concentrates on answering the exam question, rather than truly understanding the methodology
Your logical fallacy is: false dichotomy.
davros
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gondur)
The only textbooks worth reading are ones where the word "show" is spelled "shew".

Anything else is a travesty!
Sena5
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It's only successful with unlimited practice with various numerous number of questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed