The Student Room Group

Unit 3d edexcel global politics june 2014 predictions

What do you think will come up for unit 3 global politics in June?

Scroll to see replies

Whilst I would say it's all very good and well trying to guess what comes up, do make sure you know about everything they could possibly ask :tongue: . Several of my friends at A2 made the mistake of not revising the stuff that ''definitely wouldn't come up'' and ended up missing their uni offer. So be careful! :h:
Reply 2
can we get this thread going with some predictions please
Definitely agree that you should revise everything, it's just going to be more stressful if you go into the exam hoping the one thing you studied wont come up. That said our teacher didn't cover Global Governance with us because he said it was just asked. Questions about polarity are very popular, the last exam had a short question about multi polarity and one that was basically asking if the current world order was chaotic (anarchic multi polarity). So any questions on polarity would probably be about uni polarity or bipolarity. My teacher focused on "Is China a superpower?" (45) because he thinks its likely. On the EU we spent a lot of time on whether the EU was becoming a federal superstate. IMO a short question about enlargement could also be likely but it's also really essential to the recent development of the EU so make sure you understand the post 2004 developments and the implications.
Reply 4
The question merely was about predictions of questions... I wouldn't purposely not revise everything because that would be silly. :smile:

Yeah, I would love a China Superpower Q! I think possibly something about military power being obsolete, it has been a while since that kind of question.
Yeah I think decline in effectiveness or hard power/military power definitely could be likely as the last last 2 questions in the topic about world order were both about polarity. I think I spend too much time trying to read Andrew Heywood's mind though and thinking about which questions they'll ask. Maybe also an essay on is war inevitable (related to realism/liberalism rather than world order). going back to revising unit 3 after having learnt unit 4 is quite useful in a way because we've learnt all this other stuff that we can use to build on our answers/understanding
Yeah my teacher has said to be prepared for a globalisation (45) question as that's overdue
My teacher seems to think there might be a 15 marker on NATO, since it's only been asked once.

I think that a 45 mark question on global governance is probable since there has only been 4 of those so far.

There could also be a question on how federal the EU is as they've only asked that once, and there seem to be repeats of other questions.
Reply 8
Original post by seantheweirdfish
My teacher seems to think there might be a 15 marker on NATO, since it's only been asked once.

I think that a 45 mark question on global governance is probable since there has only been 4 of those so far.

There could also be a question on how federal the EU is as they've only asked that once, and there seem to be repeats of other questions.

Yeah I definitely think a NATO question is well over-due.
Interesting... what kind of global governance question?
Reply 9
If anyone has any made-up questions that they (or teachers) think could be asked, please post! Let's get this thread goinggggg
I'm predicting 'to what extent is the EU a unique form of regional governance' or along those lines, possibly approaches question about war/ anarchy. Then there could be a "The UN an outdated body? Discuss" all as 45 markers
Original post by bound2
Yeah I definitely think a NATO question is well over-due.
Interesting... what kind of global governance question?

I'm thinking something to do with supranationalism, intergovernmentalism, etc as a possibility, but then again I suppose the fact that there's been 3 45 markers on the UN and only 1 on anything else (that being the most recent), means that a question on the UN is still likely.
Been told by my teacher (vaguely so) that for unit 3 45 markers likely to come up : globalisation and the UN
And for unit 4: human rights and nuclear weapons
Having read some exemplers on the edexcel website, it seems as though you get marks for mentioning theorists/political thinkers. Could someone clarify synopticity?
Original post by firmfrank
Having read some exemplers on the edexcel website, it seems as though you get marks for mentioning theorists/political thinkers. Could someone clarify synopticity?

What's meant by synopticity is using different opinions to support your argument, and also demonstrating the extent of the rivalry of different viewpoints.

Also, check out this website:

http://globalgovpol.blogspot.co.uk/p/examinations.html

Scroll down to the header 'Ideas for Synopticity' - it's got all the key areas of debate between liberals and realists
Original post by seantheweirdfish
What's meant by synopticity is using different opinions to support your argument, and also demonstrating the extent of the rivalry of different viewpoints.

Also, check out this website:

http://globalgovpol.blogspot.co.uk/p/examinations.html

Scroll down to the header 'Ideas for Synopticity' - it's got all the key areas of debate between liberals and realists

Nice one mate, cheers!
I've looked closely at previous papers and found that sovereignty came up as a 15 marker in june 2011,2012 and 2013 so maybe it could come up tomorrow. Unipolarity might come up but as a 45 marker. Would like a China superpower question as a 45 marker. A globalisation question might be 'assess the impact of globalisation on international politics'.
I think they may ask a 15 mark q on the IMF
how did people find it?
Reply 19
thought the 15 markers were horrid, but the 45s were fab

Quick Reply