The Student Room Group

Warwickshire University - Equine

Anybody attending already or thinking about it? I might possibly be transferring this September into second year and don't want to be a larry! I'm looking a the Equine Rehab course (BSc Hons) and will possibly be bringing my horse too :smile:
Reply 1
By Warwickshire Uni I assume you mean Warwickshire College (Moreton Morrell Centre). If I am correct in thinking this, I went there a few years back, if you want to know anything about the college itself.
I presume you mean warwickshire college (the moreton morrell campus does equine courses). I'm currently in my first year there doing equine science. Rehab is a good course, my friends doing it all love it and only 2 of the lectures are different to my own so I guess I'm a decent judge of work load/ difficulty if you had any questions about it.
Because moreton morrell is so small everyone knows everyone so as long as you talk to your flat mates and people in lectures you'll fit in pretty quickly. I assume you'll be staying in halls?
Where are you studying currently if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
Original post by feathered-soul
I presume you mean warwickshire college (the moreton morrell campus does equine courses). I'm currently in my first year there doing equine science. Rehab is a good course, my friends doing it all love it and only 2 of the lectures are different to my own so I guess I'm a decent judge of work load/ difficulty if you had any questions about it.
Because moreton morrell is so small everyone knows everyone so as long as you talk to your flat mates and people in lectures you'll fit in pretty quickly. I assume you'll be staying in halls?
Where are you studying currently if you don't mind me asking?

Yes sorry I do mean Moreton Morrell. Yes I will be living in halls probably, but traveling home most weekends for family commitments. I'm currently at Writtle as a first year, enjoying it but I need to be closer to home and I feel the facilities at MM would be better :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ola.O
Yes sorry I do mean Moreton Morrell. Yes I will be living in halls probably, but traveling home most weekends for family commitments. I'm currently at Writtle as a first year, enjoying it but I need to be closer to home and I feel the facilities at MM would be better :smile:

The facilities are excellent but from my experience the college is badly run. Honestly I do not recommend it on any level.
Reply 5
[QUOTE="DiddyDec;46952469"]The facilities are excellent but from my experience the college is badly run. Honestly I do not recommend it on any level.[/QUOTE
How badly? It's not brilliant here either so I am used to taking initiative when it comes to finding info etc. The one thing I would be concerned about is lectures. How are they set out? Feel free to message me instead if nobody wants to say their honest opinions online. I'd really like to hear them, I've made one mistake already I'd rather not make another! :smile:
The badly run bits in my experience don't really affect the lectures/ courses too much (for equine anyway). There's been some issues getting work back but that's because, through bad luck, we're down to basically half the usual lecturers, but they all know their stuff really well so the lecture quality hasn't dropped really.

The courses are pretty intensive, I have about 13 hours of lectures a week and we have a fair amount of assignments and whatnot. I have 2 full days (~9-4) and 1 day with 1 lecture. It should be similar in 2nd year. But its pretty well done, i know someone who transferred from moulton earlier in the year and basically said that we do more work but the quality of what we learn is far higher. They really push your understanding of both the horse and the human. I don't do the therapy massage module that the rehab people do but I've been helping a few people revise and they do proper massages and stretches and are basically having to know every bone and muscle in the equine body. Hard, but will prepare them so much better for the future. Also the therapy centre is in the final stages of being put in and getting up and running. It'll be used by the student in lectures and will be open to the public. The therapy students have been told that they'll run it in the 3rd year, but whether that'll properly happen i'm not sure.
Morrell isn't perfect by any stretch but they make sure you come out of the degree knowing your stuff. When I was doing my research Morrell was the place that kept popping up that people would employ from.

Living wise, its a bit dead with things to do and you're in the middle of nowhere so you either need transport or need to find a friend with some. If you're going home at the weekend the lack of stuff to do won't be much of an issue though. And if you take one piece of advice: for the love of god don't go catered! its lonely (no kitchen to meet people in) and they serve food at really inconvenient times, plus you have to fend for yourself at the weekend.

Oh and if your horse can't handle being kept in for weeks at a time don't have it on campus! There is turnout...but only in the spring/summer/when its been dry for weeks. Apart from turnout you are free to use all of the facilities on campus unless there's a show on which is better than some other places.

TL;DR, the courses push you and you have a decent workload, be prepared to have your horse in for ages at a time if you have it on campus, and the people make the place!

You can pm me if you want to know any specifics.
Reply 7
Hey I'm a bit late here but I just got an offer for equine therapy and rehab :smile: does anyone know of any racehorse trainers in the local area? and also would you pick Warwickshire over writtle/Greenwich/bishop Burton?
Reply 8
I've picked warwickshire?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Writtlee
Original post by DiddyDec
By Warwickshire Uni I assume you mean Warwickshire College (Moreton Morrell Centre). If I am correct in thinking this, I went there a few years back, if you want to know anything about the college itself.

Random question but is it mostly girls at moreton morrell? Went Saturday and seemed like that, that would be pretty weird
Reply 11
There was a few guys on the day of my interview and another one I spoke to on here is going so there will be some guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh that's ok so coming from an all girls school didn't want that again
Reply 13
You'll be fine. It may not be on same courses as us but there are guys there too. Looking forward to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmmaNagle
Random question but is it mostly girls at moreton morrell? Went Saturday and seemed like that, that would be pretty weird

It is mostly girls on the HND and degree courses as they pretty much revolve around horses. There is more guys on the college courses (BTEC etc...).
Reply 15
Accommodation now open...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending