The Student Room Group

What a-levels for civil engineering

I was thinking about doing civil engineering, what a-levels would any of you recommend and a-level grades based on getting into a decent university
Original post by Yesno123
I was thinking about doing civil engineering, what a-levels would any of you recommend and a-level grades based on getting into a decent university

Maths and Physics will be required to A2 for any respectable civil engineering course. Other than that, you can take pretty much whichever A Levels you want although Further Maths would be very helpful, so if you can take that, I'd strongly recommend it. Chemistry would also be a good option. Some Universities such as Imperial College require you to have taken Mechanics modules in Maths, so if your sixth form offers Maths with Mechanics, definitely take this.

What grades you need depend on what you define as decent. Cambridge (A*A*A, sometimes with a STEP offer) and Imperial (A*A*A with As in all mechanics modules) have the highest entry requirements, so you'll need to be on track for these if you want to get into them. Obviously though, these are the best of the best. For a decent course, I'd say AAB or above. The most important thing is that you excel in Maths and Mechanics.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Yesno123

Maths
Further Maths

This is purely based on what ive seen on other threads, these would be two subjects but the grades i dont know. hope ive been of some help.

Quick Reply

Latest