catwalk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello! I am holding an offer to study Medical sciences. Is there anyone studying this or something related to it? I am wondering if the uni provides any placements and as a whole is the quality of education good. Hope to hear from someone. :-)
RetroBhoy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by catwalk)
Hello! I am holding an offer to study Medical sciences. Is there anyone studying this or something related to it? I am wondering if the uni provides any placements and as a whole is the quality of education good. Hope to hear from someone. :-)
I may be going to Edinburgh to do medical sciences, I'm not sure yet tho. Did you go to the post-offer visit day?
catwalk
Rep:
?
(Original post by RetroBhoy)
I may be going to Edinburgh to do medical sciences, I'm not sure yet tho. Did you go to the post-offer visit day?
No, I didn't. The reason is that I don't live in uk. So I have many questions to ask regarding this course.
Muse2k8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dont think the course is credited by the IBMS (not a bad thing btw so dont let that put you off!) so there wont be any placements. BUT this will mean you will be taught more than just what you would need as a Biomed in ahospital.
catwalk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muse2k8)
I dont think the course is credited by the IBMS (not a bad thing btw so dont let that put you off!) so there wont be any placements. BUT this will mean you will be taught more than just what you would need as a Biomed in ahospital.
Well but that doesn't mean that you can't work while you are studying, right? I've heard that the professors help you find internships in the field you are studying.
DutchyBoy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you say medical sciences, do you mean biomedical sciences or medicine?
MiriamG
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hya, 2nd Year MedSci here

DutchyBoy: welcome to the confusing nomenclature that is this general field of study at Edinburgh! no, Medical Sciences is a separate degree that you may not have come across because it is buried deep in the School of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine section of the prospectus.
You'll have mostly the same courses in the first two years though

Placements: they are not provided/guaranteed. Many students chose to get some practical experience over the summer, that is self-organised though. In terms of sandwich year: there's some larger Scottish scheme that you'll here of mainly in 3rd year as that's when you get e-mails with the placement info.

Edinburgh has this chronic problem with feedback on the assignments you submit. teaching in itself is quite good. you'll always have amazing lecturers, alright lectures, and I-got-up-for-this? lecturers. The MedSci core courses are nice because there's only you, while the other courses (ODL, Biochemistry, Molecules Genes and Cells etc. etc.) are large lectures with Biological and Biomedical Sciences combined.

Anatomy& Pathology ROCKS! (that's 2nd year <3 )

I like MedSci because it is small and you have generally good contact with your Personal Tutor and with the degree organizer / support tutor/ secretary. They literally have everyone's picture in the office to learn your names& faces
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads