Working out activation energy with a catalyst

Watch
7jdrabble
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Evening everyone,

For a experiment i was trying to find out what effect a catalyst had on the rate of reaction. Having done the experiment with and without a catalyst i was able to find the rate of reactions for both.

I was also able to find out the activation energy of the other experiment, but now i am stuck. How do i work out the activation energy when a catalyst has been added? Obviously i am expecting the activation energy to be lower when a catalyst is present but can't figure out how to calculate it? Would it involve the arrhenius equation?

Many thanks for your help, have a good evening!
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should do exactly the same you did for the reaction without catalyst, just using data for the reaction WITH catalyst.
7jdrabble
Rep:
?
(Original post by Borek)
You should do exactly the same you did for the reaction without catalyst, just using data for the reaction WITH catalyst.
I could work out the activation energy without a catalyst because i was varying temperature and was able to do a Arrhenius plot. When adding a catalyst i kept temperature constant and varied the concentration of the catalyst. I know these values

Concentration of catalyst
Concentration of other reactants
Rate of reaction for each concentration of catalyst

So how would i work out the activation energy? Thanks for your help, this has been confusing me most of this evening!
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OK, I don't see how to get the activation energy from this data.

Unless you assume pre-exponential factors to be identical, but as the decomposition mechanism is different, that's not an assumption that holds water.
7jdrabble
Rep:
?
(Original post by Borek)
OK, I don't see how to get the activation energy from this data.

Unless you assume pre-exponential factors to be identical, but as the decomposition mechanism is different, that's not an assumption that holds water.
Yeah thats what i thought, if needs be i will talk to my teacher on monday, thanks for replying though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (208)
33.49%
No (413)
66.51%

Watched Threads