The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 1: Physics on the Go ~20th May 2014

Poll

How did you find the Unit 1 physics exam (Edexcel- A level 20/5/14) ?

There doesn't seem to be a thread regarding this exam so I thought I would create one. Is anyone doing this exam? If so, share your revision tips and feel free to discuss anything (ideally, related to this exam :tongue: )

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BP_Tranquility
There doesn't seem to be a thread regarding this exam so I thought I would create one. Is anyone doing this exam? If so, share your revision tips and feel free to discuss anything (ideally, related to this exam :tongue: )

I am. :P This will be my third and last attempt :redface:
Reply 2
This is my first year of Physics, I dropped it at gcse in year 9 but decided i wanted to take it as an A level. Unit 1 is on the 20th May as I'm sure many of you guys know, can anyone help me on getting up to exam speed, it usually takes me another 15-20 minutes to complete a paper. I know the longer questions are at the back, so am thinking about starting from the back to try and cover more marks in my exam, is this a good idea??????? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Try to stick with a minute per mark. My second time I'm taking this paper, have to smash it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
12 days until this exam, are many people here doing it? I was surprised to see how low the grade boundaries were last year, 55/75 for an A seems very reasonable!
Reply 6
Original post by jay_em
12 days until this exam, are many people here doing it? I was surprised to see how low the grade boundaries were last year, 55/75 for an A seems very reasonable!

yep I really hope they remain that low lol :colone: How's prep going? I think unit 1 is a piece of cake compared to unit 2
Damn i nailed the unit3 paper (well i think so) lets see what happens in unit1! :biggrin:
I'm doing it! My revision tips are just to do past papers and correct them haha.
Original post by jay_em

Hi there! I'm repeating this.

Yes..last year was a shocker...the paper was freaking long..it seems never ending. I'm repeating this year cause I never managed to complete it last year. I ran out of time. People were crying after that exam!

Mind you, even though its that low..it isn't that easy to score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheKingOfTSR

Yes..last year was a shocker...the paper was freaking long..it seems never ending. I'm repeating this year cause I never managed to complete it last year. I ran out of time. People were crying after that exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah bro, I had five minutes to do the last two questions and I had to rush like mad. I even scribbled on the stem of the last question to send a message that they shouldn't give unnecessary long reading **** when only a question is enough. I was surprised I got a 120 but reading the examiner's report on the last two questions it seem very few students had difficulty finishing the paper. Maybe spending a lot of time on earlier questions (such as the stupid one mark per question MCQs) is a bad idea.
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Yeah bro, I had five minutes to do the last two questions and I had to rush like mad. I even scribbled on the stem of the last question to send a message that they shouldn't give unnecessary long reading **** when only a question is enough. I was surprised I got a 120 but reading the examiner's report on the last two questions it seem very few students had difficulty finishing the paper. Maybe spending a lot of time on earlier questions (such as the stupid one mark per question MCQs) is a bad idea.

Yeah lol. I got literally pissed off when they started describing something about Galileo. I did just what you did, scribbled at it and just went into the question.
I didn't spend much time on the MCQs though...spent under 5 mins on it.
Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Me too:/ im resitting it this year. Got a D on it despite the fact I achieved an A on my mock. Pissed off. Hows your revision for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoyalBlue7

120??? Wow. Any tips/notes/whatevers you could share?:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jtbteddy
Yeah. Me too:/ im resitting it this year. Got a D on it despite the fact I achieved an A on my mock. Pissed off. Hows your revision for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Started revising stuff for it yesterday (after 11 months! Lol). I will be doing the Jan 2014 under timed conditions as a mock. And some more revision on the day of the exam. That's pretty much it.

Did you do the exam last may? How was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started revising stuff for it yesterday (after 11 months! Lol). I will be doing the Jan 2014 under timed conditions as a mock. And some more revision on the day of the exam. That's pretty much it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember you were the guy that helped me with tge magnet question.. Emf and all that. Thanks :smile: how did your jan exams go? What grades?

I did m1 this year in maths, so im fairly alright with the mechanics contents of it. I hted the jan14 pper:/ no like. Awful! Ran out of time but couldnt even unferstand half the questions- got a D. You?
120??? Wow. Any tips/notes/whatevers you could share?:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I just didn't expect it for unit 1 but as you could see the grade boundaries were very low that time. Going through the revision guide was enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I remember you were the guy that helped me with tge magnet question.. Emf and all that. Thanks :smile: how did your jan exams go? What grades?

I did m1 this year in maths, so im fairly alright with the mechanics contents of it. I hted the jan14 pper:/ no like. Awful! Ran out of time but couldnt even unferstand half the questions- got a D. You?

Yeah I was.

My jan exams went alright. I sat the unit 4 of biology, chemistry and physics and got A in all three. So yeah :smile:

Yeah..doing mechanics makes the paper so very much easier. I do M1-M5, so that aspect of the paper is a piece of cake.

I haven't done the Jan 2014 paper yet. Yeah..I'm going to make sure I do it very fast and rush at the word go. The main problem for me is the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have the link to the jan 2014 paper? My school only has papers up to jan 2013 on their website
I'm resitting too!:tongue: That paper was just soooo long!!i thought i was gonna fail!my hands were literally shaking when i sat for unit 2. but at last ended with a B!

Latest

Trending

Trending