The Student Room Group

Anybody experienced their parents splitting up?

I have quite a unique story, im 18 and my dad is a recovering alcoholic. Despite the fact he has this problem, he's always been a good dad and worked hard for our family.

Me being the youngest of four children, my siblings all over 25 now, I had the hardest time when my parents divorced. I just started high school when I found out the family I loved for 11 years was seperating, I would be moving away from my home, siblings and friends of 11 years to live with just my mum. From 11 to 16 it was just me and my mum, her new boyfriend came into the picture eventually but he only stayed over on weekends so a lot of time was spent between myself and my mum, and it was a tough time for us both, looking back it makes me want to cry because she tried so hard to make things easier for me yet I was a little bastard. I would blame her for a lot, I would vent a lot of pent up rage and sadness on her, the break-up deeply affected me even to this day. She would buy me whatever I needed despite having little money, take me to football training, take me places to eat and it would just be us two, we never had many friends so it was always just us together. We have been through a hell of a lot together, I never realised it at the time, I wish I had made it as easy for my mum as she tried making it for me.

My parents are back together and my mum looks after my dad who is now retired and ill. We had a family dinner at a restuarant today including my siblings, on the table next to us sat a mother and son, just a table for two. The mum was roughly early 40's, the son about 11-12, she would look at him asking him questions I assume to be about what he wanted to eat, and he sat there looking uncomfortable, upset, like he is going through something and his mum has decided to treat him and make it easier. Infact, I had a lump in my throat, because it was just like looking back in time at me and my mum when she would try and make me happy but I would show little appreciation. So im just wondering if anybody here ever went through something with a parent, can you relate to anything im saying? how has it affected you today?
Original post by blu95
I have quite a unique story, im 18 and my dad is a recovering alcoholic. Despite the fact he has this problem, he's always been a good dad and worked hard for our family.

Me being the youngest of four children, my siblings all over 25 now, I had the hardest time when my parents divorced. I just started high school when I found out the family I loved for 11 years was seperating, I would be moving away from my home, siblings and friends of 11 years to live with just my mum. From 11 to 16 it was just me and my mum, her new boyfriend came into the picture eventually but he only stayed over on weekends so a lot of time was spent between myself and my mum, and it was a tough time for us both, looking back it makes me want to cry because she tried so hard to make things easier for me yet I was a little bastard. I would blame her for a lot, I would vent a lot of pent up rage and sadness on her, the break-up deeply affected me even to this day. She would buy me whatever I needed despite having little money, take me to football training, take me places to eat and it would just be us two, we never had many friends so it was always just us together. We have been through a hell of a lot together, I never realised it at the time, I wish I had made it as easy for my mum as she tried making it for me.

My parents are back together and my mum looks after my dad who is now retired and ill. We had a family dinner at a restuarant today including my siblings, on the table next to us sat a mother and son, just a table for two. The mum was roughly early 40's, the son about 11-12, she would look at him asking him questions I assume to be about what he wanted to eat, and he sat there looking uncomfortable, upset, like he is going through something and his mum has decided to treat him and make it easier. Infact, I had a lump in my throat, because it was just like looking back in time at me and my mum when she would try and make me happy but I would show little appreciation. So im just wondering if anybody here ever went through something with a parent, can you relate to anything im saying? how has it affected you today?

It sounds like you, and your Mother, had a tough time. I'm glad you appreciate your Mother for all she did for you - some people just take it all for granted.

I've not had any similar experiences, but one of my friends went to live with her Mother after her parents separated - she took it really badly. She kept running away from home once or twice a week. Eventually the situation stabilised though. She's doing fine now. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending