Overpopulation of the planet?

Watch
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just wondered if anybody has ever given serious thought to if/when the population of the planet is going to reach a figure where the human race really wont have enough resources to continue and what would happen?

Should countries ever adopt a policy like China did (and I think they abolished recently) of one child per family?
gideon123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by billydisco)
Just wondered if anybody has ever given serious thought to if/when the population of the planet is going to reach a figure where the human race really wont have enough resources to continue and what would happen?

Should countries ever adopt a policy like China did (and I think they abolished recently) of one child per family?
Thats why AIDS was created, in order to wipe out the developing countries
MrKappa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gideon123)
Thats why AIDS was created, in order to wipe out the developing countries
Well it's not doing a very good job is it.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I don't think China's policy should be copied because it was pretty brutal. Personally I would go for changes to child benefit for new applicants to encourage smaller families and not encourage population growth. In developing countries improved contraception is needed. A perfectly sensible way to get population under control, though maybe a bit ambitious.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Then we go colonise the Moon.
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Statisticians reckon the population will peak at 11 billion.
Number of children has already peaked at 2 billion.
Many countries have adopted population control policies, both to increase and decrease their populations.
FrostyLemon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've done some research into this and found that when resources and space become scarce, essentially everyone starts killing each other before we get the chance to starve to death. Then an equilibrium is found. So expect another world war/mass genocide at some point.
bottled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
I don't think China's policy should be copied because it was pretty brutal. Personally I would go for changes to child benefit for new applicants to encourage smaller families and not encourage population growth. In developing countries improved contraception is needed. A perfectly sensible way to get population under control, though maybe a bit ambitious.
some countries just penelize you financially for having too many kids
RVNmax
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ILovePancakes)
Statisticians reckon the population will peak at 11 billion.
Number of children has already peaked at 2 billion.
Many countries have adopted population control policies, both to increase and decrease their populations.
This.

Source: summarised by 20:00 - 30:00
or this other clip: http://www.ted.com/talks/hans_roslin...ulation_growth

The slight discrepancy between the two videos seems to be due to the second clip (TED) having missed out on ageing population for whatever reason which links into what I'm about to say.

It is not sure if the planet will ever be overpopulated, but along with the standard growth in developing countries, we may expect to live for longer due to various healthcare advances (as noted in the first video, explaining the 11th billion).
Who knows, one day we could be immortal.

If and 11 billion population is unsustainable, then in my opinion, society is more likely to go for an expansion in euthanasia services than child control policies. By euthanasia, I mean for the people who struggle with illness/age or whatever. Actually thinking about it, that would probably be after a 'two-child policy' rather than 'one-child'.
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm no expert - but I would have thought that trying to cap birth rates would not really help. You'll just end up with a very old population - and that would cause all sorts of problems. One in particular - who will pay for all these old people to retire etc?

I'm not too sure what the solution is - I think that way back, there was a natural order to things. Just like in the wild, death was more of a part of life - infant mortality was higher and people only lived very long if they were fit and didn't succumb to a nasty illness. Now I certainly don't fancy returning back to those days - but I do think that our progress in medicine is a somewhat double edged sword. We no longer see death as an acceptable part of life; it has led to the issue that the population grows, people live longer... and we need to find a way to deal with that.

Even if the world does not become over populated as such (i.e. - we actually run out of room) I think that increased demand on resources will be a massive, and unpleasant, issue.

Totally non-expert view...
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Globally the birth rate is actually quite manageable, the technology to provide fresh water and energy already exists and food productivity growth has kept pace with population growth, it may be a suprise but the global birth rate is under 3 and if anything western countries could do with an increased birth rate.

The problem is mainly in Africa and around India, these places have much higher birth rates.

Given that life expectancy continues to increase a one child policy would be a fiscal disaster.
KongShou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How?
CryptoidAlien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shove them all in a little island called England. That will solve the population issue
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KongShou)
How?
Because of the forced abortions and sterilisations that have taken place. Smaller families should be encouraged and not forced.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, Malthus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malthusianism
KongShou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because of the forced abortions and sterilisations that have taken place. Smaller families should be encouraged and not forced.
It was never forced. I come from China and i know all about it. You simply pay a fine if you have more than one child and there was nothing that force you to do anything. Please do your research before insulting a whole country.
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should read Inferno by Dan Brown, it was all about this and had a pretty interesting solution (although it was slightly morally wrong, it did work in the end.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can have more than one child, you have to pay a percentage of your income back though and don't get a bonus in your pay IIRC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KongShou)
It was never forced. I come from China and i know all about it. You simply pay a fine if you have more than one child and there was nothing that force you to do anything. Please do your research before insulting a whole country.
And what happens to those people who can't pay a fine?

I'm aware that the Chinese media is tightly controlled, but there are numerous reports of forced / coerced sterilisations and abortions e.g.
http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-u...ina-2010-04-22
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...e-child-policy
http://news.sky.com/story/1150016/ch...orced-abortion
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d-always-will/
Green Marble
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The problem is with third wordless breeding like cockroaches. It has nothing to do with Europeans/ westerners such as ourselves
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads