?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you- help is ok longer needed
Monkey.Man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got 97% as an average mark in AS philo/ethics - just do a load of past papers and get them marked by your teacher(s). I was terrible at first but I kept going and I did well after adopting that approach
Kimmy2014
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Awww thank you it's just the problem of retaining the information and getting 1 essay written in 35 mins...:/
heather-cecilia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did this last year! Currently revising for the A2- its awful! I picked utilitarianism, situation ethics, sexual ethics and buddhism, because theres sometimes a question where the 21 mark is about sit. Ethics and the 9 mark asks you to compare it with utilitarianism, so maybe it could be worth doing a little bit of situation ethics as well? Examiners love it when you add a little comparison/ contrast it in the 21 mark. I can send you my notes for them if you'd like?
As for actually revising, the first 21 mark is usually to outline the key features, so I wrote out modal 21 mark essays for each topic and basicslly just learnt them, I find doing little tables helped, with a sentence on one feature and then a description next to it.
The 9 mark ones can sometimes be a strengths/ weakness of the argument, so they are definately worth revising; again tables with strengths and weaknesses columns.
For each topic youre going to study, write out an introduction, that basically talks about who thought of it and when ect, to add depth to the essay, ie "Richard Dawkins in his book The God Delusion, postulates.." and learn the introductions.
If you need any other help or you want me to send you model answers/ summary sheets, just drop me q message
Kimmy2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by heather-cecilia)
I did this last year! Currently revising for the A2- its awful! I picked utilitarianism, situation ethics, sexual ethics and buddhism, because theres sometimes a question where the 21 mark is about sit. Ethics and the 9 mark asks you to compare it with utilitarianism, so maybe it could be worth doing a little bit of situation ethics as well? Examiners love it when you add a little comparison/ contrast it in the 21 mark. I can send you my notes for them if you'd like?
As for actually revising, the first 21 mark is usually to outline the key features, so I wrote out modal 21 mark essays for each topic and basicslly just learnt them, I find doing little tables helped, with a sentence on one feature and then a description next to it.
The 9 mark ones can sometimes be a strengths/ weakness of the argument, so they are definately worth revising; again tables with strengths and weaknesses columns.
For each topic youre going to study, write out an introduction, that basically talks about who thought of it and when ect, to add depth to the essay, ie "Richard Dawkins in his book The God Delusion, postulates.." and learn the introductions.
If you need any other help or you want me to send you model answers/ summary sheets, just drop me q message
That would be great! Thank you so much^_^<3
hannahj697
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm the same AS and board as you and I have exactly the same problems! I haven't chosen which topics to do and I find it so difficult writing an essay in 35 mins
Kimmy2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannah697)
I'm the same AS and board as you and I have exactly the same problems! I haven't chosen which topics to do and I find it so difficult writing an essay in 35 mins
I think I've deciding which ones I'm going to do: Utilitarianism, Cosmo and Problem of Evil. I kinda just crossed out the topics I hated and I came back to these 3xD basically for each of my essays I've written out every possible question it could be based on the passed questions and just wrote out perfect answers. Have you decided which Subject Qs you want to do?
hannahj697
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kimmy2014)
I think I've deciding which ones I'm going to do: Utilitarianism, Cosmo and Problem of Evil. I kinda just crossed out the topics I hated and I came back to these 3xD basically for each of my essays I've written out every possible question it could be based on the passed questions and just wrote out perfect answers. Have you decided which Subject Qs you want to do?
I know I want to do utilitarianism and design but I haven't decided by 3rd one. I know I don't want to do miracles but I don't know what other one I want to do
Ah that's a good idea! I think I might start doing that once I've actually decided what topics I'll do Alternatively, I might learn 4 and then the one I like best in the exam I'll do, although I don't know if that will waste time in the exam
Kimmy2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannah697)
I know I want to do utilitarianism and design but I haven't decided by 3rd one. I know I don't want to do miracles but I don't know what other one I want to do
Ah that's a good idea! I think I might start doing that once I've actually decided what topics I'll do Alternatively, I might learn 4 and then the one I like best in the exam I'll do, although I don't know if that will waste time in the exam
My teacher said to revise 4/5 topics in case there's a question you don't understand or completely confuses you, that way you'll have a back up. It's possible that in the ethics side in the 1st section it could be any 2 out of 3 topics. It could be Utilitarianism and Situation ethics OR Utilitarianism and Religion and Morality OR Situation ethics and Religion and morality so I'd recommend revising Situation ethics and Util just In case
QUANTAM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am doing 5 just in case: DA- properly and wrote a model answer if they mix it with the CA; Evil and Suffering and Util and SE.
Kimmy2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by QUANTAM)
I am doing 5 just in case: DA- properly and wrote a model answer if they mix it with the CA; Evil and Suffering and Util and SE.

I think I'll just stick to 4, it's enough for me for now aha I don't think I can remember anymore. How are you revising?
QUANTAM
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think I'll just stick to 4, it's enough for me for now aha I don't think I can remember anymore. How are you revising?
Ah yeah, I just finished my revision of it for today, it is so tedious! I am writing model paragraphs, so for A01 and A02 and then just planning essays tbh. How about you? Is there anything else I can do? If you have any sort of tips, let me know, I think this is my hardest exam!
Kimmy2014
Rep:
?
Ah yeah, I just finished my revision of it for today, it is so tedious! I am writing model paragraphs, so for A01 and A02 and then just planning essays tbh. How about you? Is there anything else I can do? If you have any sort of tips, let me know, I think this is my hardest exam!
Same! I actually didn't think it would be this hard! I actually love the subject though.. In the first few months I wanted to drop RS because I sucked at it but I decided I wasn't going to let the subject win so I stuck at it haha.

Hmm well I don't think I have any worthwhile tips but for RS I'm revising by writing model answers and then condensing these questions into note form of only the main point and the quote I'm going to use that way I can use it whilst I'm doing a practice paper but I'll remember the main points I'll need to include in the essays and try and improve my timing issues (hopefully ill speed up each time) and then once practicing see what I have missed out from my model answer and try to rewrite it, remembering to add what I have forgotten.

I'd suggest just doing practice papers using the model answers you've written and add in anything you've missed.:P My teachers (they've only taught me since the beginning of the year but I absolutely love them that's why I keep on mentioning then xD), they both say to only spend 20
Mins on AO1 and 15 mins on A02 or maybe a little less so you can read through and make any changes.

Whilst practicing, set a timer and make sure when the 20 mins are up, move Onto A02 and after 15 mins, stop completely and see how far you have gotten. Hopefully after having doing this countless amount of times your hand will remember what you have to write and you'll be able to get the timing perfect maybe even some time to spare for corrections? Eh anyway that's what I'm doing... Let's just hope it works for both of us:P
QUANTAM
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same! I actually didn't think it would be this hard! I actually love the subject though.. In the first few months I wanted to drop RS because I sucked at it but I decided I wasn't going to let the subject win so I stuck at it haha.

Hmm well I don't think I have any worthwhile tips but for RS I'm revising by writing model answers and then condensing these questions into note form of only the main point and the quote I'm going to use that way I can use it whilst I'm doing a practice paper but I'll remember the main points I'll need to include in the essays and try and improve my timing issues (hopefully ill speed up each time) and then once practicing see what I have missed out from my model answer and try to rewrite it, remembering to add what I have forgotten.

I'd suggest just doing practice papers using the model answers you've written and add in anything you've missed.:P My teachers (they've only taught me since the beginning of the year but I absolutely love them that's why I keep on mentioning then xD), they both say to only spend 20
Mins on AO1 and 15 mins on A02 or maybe a little less so you can read through and make any changes.

Whilst practicing, set a timer and make sure when the 20 mins are up, move Onto A02 and after 15 mins, stop completely and see how far you have gotten. Hopefully after having doing this countless amount of times your hand will remember what you have to write and you'll be able to get the timing perfect maybe even some time to spare for corrections? Eh anyway that's what I'm doing... Let's just hope it works for both of us:P
LOOL, thanks! Happy revision! Good luck!
Kimmy2014
Rep:
?
LOOL, thanks! Happy revision! Good luck!
Your welcome ^_^ good luck to you too
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have an understanding of each concept and remember three to four key points from other theorists so that you can paraphrase their theories as part of your answer.

Once you've done the above in order to make sure you've got some concrete information in there the rest of it comes down mostly to how you argue/debate/explain and provide examples of your point.

Good luck
Kimmy2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurakate1988)
Have an understanding of each concept and remember three to four key points from other theorists so that you can paraphrase their theories as part of your answer.

Once you've done the above in order to make sure you've got some concrete information in there the rest of it comes down mostly to how you argue/debate/explain and provide examples of your point.

Good luck
Thank you^_^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (33)
13.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.18%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.83%

Watched Threads