Kup-Kake
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anyone have any tips for how to do well in AQA English Literature (A2)? I've been getting band 3's all year and despite trying my hardest to boost my grade I never seem to be able to get higher than this, despite doing what the teachers say. Does anyone have any tips for doing well in A2 English? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
shrn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try reading essays online more often and get into the habit of practicing good english. Expand your vocabulary and become more analytical with reading and responding to texts.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kup-Kake)
Does anyone have any tips for how to do well in AQA English Literature (A2)? I've been getting band 3's all year and despite trying my hardest to boost my grade I never seem to be able to get higher than this, despite doing what the teachers say. Does anyone have any tips for doing well in A2 English? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Remember in the exam that the focus is on analysing the texts and bringing wider reading in to enhance that analysis, not bringing in WR as a smokescreen to hide the fact that you haven't understood the texts. That's the biggest failing I see. And don't just tell the story! Remember form/structure/language all the way through. Aim to have both texts in every paragraph, or you aren't actually comparing.
GrammarGirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kup-Kake)
are you doing the reading for meaning exam, love through the ages?
Kup-Kake
(Original post by GrammarGirl)
are you doing the reading for meaning exam, love through the ages?
No I'm doing Faustus, Bloody Chamber, Macbeth for the Gothic
Kup-Kake
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Remember in the exam that the focus is on analysing the texts and bringing wider reading in to enhance that analysis, not bringing in WR as a smokescreen to hide the fact that you haven't understood the texts. That's the biggest failing I see. And don't just tell the story! Remember form/structure/language all the way through. Aim to have both texts in every paragraph, or you aren't actually comparing.
Okay, that's really useful/helpful, thanks.
brooke1233
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Could you give me any help or advice on how you answer both questions? Im so confused. If they give you two poems, can you just talk about poems or do you bring in novels and plays? Thanks :confused:
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brooke1233)
Could you give me any help or advice on how you answer both questions? Im so confused. If they give you two poems, can you just talk about poems or do you bring in novels and plays? Thanks :confused:
Here is the information from the specification:

The examination will take the form of a 2½ hour written examination. The paper will contain four unseen items. There will be two compulsory questions to answer. Each question will be marked out of 40.

Question 1 will require candidates to compare two items of the same genre. The genre may change with each examination series. This question will require the close reading of the texts as well as reference to wider reading on the theme of love within the same genre as the items.

Question 2 will invite candidates to compare two items (of the remaining two genres). Candidates will use their wider reading on the theme of love through literature to inform their interpretations.

Notes

Chaucer will not be set as an item in the examination.

In total, across both questions, candidates will have to write about a minimum of one wider reading text from each of the three genres of poetry, prose and drama.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads