This discussion is closed.
futuredoctorVSB
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys!

I recently got offers to study Medicine, and I'm literally over the moon and can't wait to get started!

I probably could wait till med school to ask these questions, but I need to know now itself!

So, basically I am very interested in both Research based medicine(specifically regenerative medicine) but am also really interested in Clinical Medicine as well!

So my question is basically, is it possible for a doctor to do both things? I'd love to contribute to academia as well as my future patients!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. There are academic foundation programmes and academic clinical fellowships for specialty training in many specialties, though these are quite competitive. Don't worry about them just yet though, settle into uni and get a feel for how things actually go before committing to anything particular.
futuredoctorVSB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
Yes. There are academic foundation programmes and academic clinical fellowships for specialty training in many specialties, though these are quite competitive. Don't worry about them just yet though, settle into uni and get a feel for how things actually go before committing to anything particular.
Ah sweet! Thanks for that! Yes, as you say, I won't think too far ahead, but It's good to know these things do exist! Thanks Helenia!
Hydromancer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by futuredoctorVSB)
Ah sweet! Thanks for that! Yes, as you say, I won't think too far ahead, but It's good to know these things do exist! Thanks Helenia!
Agree with not thinking far ahead but the competitive nature of academic medicine means that from year 3 onwards, you should start building your CV as the competition for AFP and ACF posts is quite intense, more so in some specialities than others. Keep an eye out for any opportunities to get involved in research projects or essay competitions in your preclinical years. In hindsight, that's probably the part of the course where you have the most time for these endeavours.
futuredoctorVSB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hydromancer)
Agree with not thinking far ahead but the competitive nature of academic medicine means that from year 3 onwards, you should start building your CV as the competition for AFP and ACF posts is quite intense, more so in some specialities than others. Keep an eye out for any opportunities to get involved in research projects or essay competitions in your preclinical years. In hindsight, that's probably the part of the course where you have the most time for these endeavours.
Ah cool! The medical school I've got an offer from(UCL) offers an intercalated Bsc in Year 3 of Medical School, so that should help with the research. But I will take your advice on board and try to carry out as much extracurricular research as possible during the preclinical years! Thank You
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.24%
I'm not sure (33)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.98%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.1%

Watched Threads