A level maths bag of tricks/useful things

Watch
Angryification
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So anyone who has done enough A level maths questions and/or does further maths will have found alternative/quicker routes around questions so I thought it'd be a good idea to post them here. Would also be nice if you could post an explanation or a link to one.

C4 - a lot of these cross over with FP2, but not everyone does FP2.
- Quick method of doing partial fractions - cover up method. I found about this while doing questions in the library. I thought I was special. http://www.sinclair.edu/centers/math...lFractions.pdf
- If you have a binomial expansion question where the index in an integer, it may be quicker to use Maclaurin's expansion. This is given on the FP2 section of the formula sheet for Edexcel and it's pretty straight forward.
- If a differential equation can be put into the form

y'+Py=Q
You can multiply by  e^{\int P\ dx} and the left hand side is now the derivative of  ye^{\int P\ dx}

Now
Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 4: no dvi output from LaTeX. It is likely that your formula contains syntax errors or worse.
\frac{d}{dx} ye^{\int P\ dx} = Qe^{\int P\ dx

FP2
- If you have a differential equation in the form
 ay''+by'+cy=f(x) and you are given conditions at x=0, you can use a Laplace transform to solve it in a small number of steps. You have to be very good at using this and requires memorising a few transforms. I cannot find an explanation for why it works right now.

Please contribute!
m4ths/maths247
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Remembering the trapezium rule as 1/2 x h x (1st + last + 2 lots of the rest) rather than using the formula book could be an example.
Are you asking for 'cheats' or more efficient memory aids?
Angryification
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Anything that will help people do the question correctly. My teacher said that any advanced method is valid [for Edexcel].
user2020user
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sometimes, expressing integrands in terms of complex exponentials can save a great deal of time. I've only seen this a few times however.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (587)
34.17%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (709)
41.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (344)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed