girls would you date a paranoid schizophrenic? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have schizophrenia the paranoid subtype girls would you date me?
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
no scared
WildeAboutOscar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would but I'd make sure you got whatever help you needed to manage it.
Metropolis
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i would defo, it would be a new exciting and educational experience for me
Reeeeyah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes I would.
Toaster Leavings
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah I have dated a paranoid schizophrenic a few years ago. He was fine while taking medication so it wasn't really an issue. He had a good job as a programmer so he was a perfectly reasonable member of society. It didn't last long enough for us to become a proper item as we 'split up' for other reasons, he was interesting though and I did like him. If his condition was out of control I might not have been able to handle that though.
Nissie1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Crazy arse chicks saying yes they would... Not to be rude but No
czechmishaout
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it was handled (diagnosed and under control), I wouldn't have a problem. However, I'm not emotionally strong enough to help somebody through it, so if there were episodes, I would probably not be able to handle that. :/
Afghan Warrior
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would, because I know what it's like having a mental illness, so I guess I would understand and be very supportive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kazbian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not sure. I have been a carer to a family member with schizophrenia and it has honestly been a nightmare. His is severe though and hasn't responded much to medication (he's been on 4 antipsychotics up to date and none have helped enough). It would be different if it was more under control. There is such a range within the illness, so it really would depend on the individual. Some people are really high-functioning with it.

I'm just wary of being in the same position I have been in with my family, that's all.
Eva.Gregoria
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably not tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reeeeyah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nissie1)
Crazy arse chicks saying yes they would... Not to be rude but No
Just because someone has schizophrenia it doesn't make them a dangerous person or any less of a person than you.

When you think of the word schizophrenia, you probably associate it with psychopaths or murderers or something along those lines.

If schizophrenia is handled in the correct way, then people with it actually lead fairly normal lifes.

Fair enough you don't want to date someone with schizophrenia but your type of comment only reinforces this widespread stigma that is attached to mental health issues.
HeatedHeavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gondur
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not a girl but no I would not. The disease in question has highly unpredictable symptoms I wouldn't want to expose myself to by being around someone who could turn at the flip of a coin, excuse the cliché. There are plenty of sane, rational minded people out there. Why would I choose a schizophrenic? And because 'I love him' isn't a valid answer considering I could love a sane person with equal temperament.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP, it's rough dealing with a mental health diagnosis even before considering relationships but I can tell you from experience that some women will love you regardless of your diagnosis. I don't have schizophrenia but I have schizoaffective disorder which shares some of the same symptoms. I'm happily married to a fantastic woman who loves me as I am. She;s stuck by me through everything; self-harm, suicidal feelings, being in hospital, multiple relapses and she is still there for me. A lot of the time I feel bad for subjecting her to these things but despite many chances to leave me she hasn't. There are women who will love you for you OP, good luck finding one.
rachiriot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly, no. It's not the schizophrenia bit, if you have it under control then that's fine. It's the paranoid bit D: I've dated someone with some paranoid behaviour before and I don't think I'd do it again!
Nissie1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reeeeyah)
Just because someone has schizophrenia it doesn't make them a dangerous person or any less of a person than you.

When you think of the word schizophrenia, you probably associate it with psychopaths or murderers or something along those lines.

If schizophrenia is handled in the correct way, then people with it actually lead fairly normal lifes.

Fair enough you don't want to date someone with schizophrenia but your type of comment only reinforces this widespread stigma that is attached to mental health issues.
I didn't say they were 'any less of a person than me' but yeah I see what you mean sorry
Nerol
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have schizophrenia the paranoid subtype girls would you date me?
Having this kind of condition is only a small part of who you are as a person. Asking questions like this makes it bigger than it is, and ultimately, if you see it as a huge obstacle, so will most girls.

Don't let it rule your life and show people who you really are. That's how you get dates.
Bassetts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Reading the first paragraph of the Wikipedia page on Schizophrenia:

Schizophrenia (/ˌskɪtsɵˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsɵˈfrniə/) is a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown in thinking and poor emotional responses.[1] Common symptoms include delusions, such as paranoia; hearing voices or noises that are not there; disorganized thinking; a lack of emotion and a lack of motivation. Schizophrenia causes significant social and work problems. Symptoms begin typically in young adulthood and about 0.3–0.7% of people are affected during their lifetime.[2] Diagnosis is based on observed behavior and the person's reported experiences.
Wow, that sounds similar to what I experience. Could I be schizophrenic and not know it? :afraid:
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I dont really understand schizophrenia ,i mean is it real or is it just that you are different? One has to be careful about people sticking badges on you. I date girls who i find attractive,who are reasonably intelligent and who have a job and some drive. Whether they have other issues is secondary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%