The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Declined with an IB offer of 41

Applied for Business & Management and had a strong IB predicted and a strong personal statement. Why on earth did they not accept me?
Most probably because you were not a good enough candidate. You don't decide whether or not you have a good enough personal statement or if you're the most suitable applicant.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Most probably because you were not a good enough candidate. You don't decide whether or not you have a good enough personal statement or if you're the most suitable applicant.

First of all, do you know how tough the IB program is? The average score is around 28. I'm not saying I'm going to get 41 but really if you have a predicted of 41 then you should be able to get offers from most russell group universities (which I already have - Bath, Durham, Exeter and Glasgow). These all required a higher IB score yet accepted me? King's only wanted 35 and I'm well above the line, actually thought i was going to get an unconditional but unfortunately not. It's not like I mind because Bath and Exeter were my top choices, I'm just really surprised as to how they didn't accept it but oh well.
Reply 3
Original post by IBNator
Applied for Business & Management and had a strong IB predicted and a strong personal statement. Why on earth did they not accept me?

Was that out of 42 or 45??
Reply 4
Original post by melmarbi
Was that out of 42 or 45??

Yeah 41/45. :smile:
Reply 5
there were probably hell a lot of applicants with good grades and strong personal statement. Maybe you didnt write what they were looking for. I heard some unis scan our PS for key words and reject those who don't include them
Reply 6
Original post by Divv
there were probably hell a lot of applicants with good grades and strong personal statement. Maybe you didnt write what they were looking for. I heard some unis scan our PS for key words and reject those who don't include them

Yeah probably! That makes sense.. But I'm just so surprised that universities with even higher standards gave me offers, I thought King's College was going to be in the bag. I guess it was not to be! I'm happy I got offers from my top choices though!
Reply 7
Original post by IBNator
Yeah probably! That makes sense.. But I'm just so surprised that universities with even higher standards gave me offers, I thought King's College was going to be in the bag. I guess it was not to be! I'm happy I got offers from my top choices though!

what are your top choices?
Well, each uni is different, they look for different things in their applicants. Or maybe you just thought you are too good for them and probably have other offers so they wont waste their on you since you will withdrawn it anyway xd
Reply 8
Original post by Divv
what are your top choices?
Well, each uni is different, they look for different things in their applicants. Or maybe you just thought you are too good for them and probably have other offers so they wont waste their on you since you will withdrawn it anyway xd

Hahaha if that would be the cause then I would feel quite proud but as I don't know, I'm left in a position where I feel rejected :'( haha nah but my top choices were firstly University of Bath (for business & management) as it offers great career placements and has a generally strong reputation. Exeter as a backup as it is not far behind if not level with Bath (just that their requirement is lower at 36). I'm really aiming to get that 38 that Bath wants though but I know it will be hard, especially considering that they want no less than 5 in any subject. I'm completely stressing out right now haha but I guess then comes Durham (which is also really good, not too sure if it's as good for business however) and lastly Glasgow whom I thought were going to give me a rather low requirement but instead gave me an offer of 38! Shocker! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by IBNator
Hahaha if that would be the cause then I would feel quite proud but as I don't know, I'm left in a position where I feel rejected :'( haha nah but my top choices were firstly University of Bath (for business & management) as it offers great career placements and has a generally strong reputation. Exeter as a backup as it is not far behind if not level with Bath (just that their requirement is lower at 36). I'm really aiming to get that 38 that Bath wants though but I know it will be hard, especially considering that they want no less than 5 in any subject. I'm completely stressing out right now haha but I guess then comes Durham (which is also really good, not too sure if it's as good for business however) and lastly Glasgow whom I thought were going to give me a rather low requirement but instead gave me an offer of 38! Shocker! :smile:

hah i got only 1 offer (I mean, only 1 for medicine and 2 for some biomed but those I dont really count) with rather high entry requirements so I totally understand you with this stressing that you wont meet your offer :P
Reply 10
King’s management department has an 18 applications per place ratio which makes it much more selective than the other programs you have applied to :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by gdln1
King’s management department has an 18 applications per place ratio which makes it much more selective than the other programs you have applied to :s-smilie:

Woah that's crazy! I know some people that applied with an IB grade 35 and got in with quite the average personal statement. King's management is ranked lower than the other management courses I've applied to so I'm not really gutted just surprised. But now I guess I know why.. and apparently I'm not meant to study there so I'll just have to move on haha.
Reply 12
Original post by IBNator
You're obviously new here.

King's only very recently lowered their IB entry requirements due to complaints and pressure from international schools and, believe it or not, 'parents of applicants' who thought the IB entry requirements weren't equivalent to the A-Level listings. Back when I applied during my IB two years ago, their entry requirements for Law, History and the likes were 39, with the majority of other courses ranging from 36 to 38. They've now lowered their maximum admission standards to 35 for the IB across all courses, but with heavier emphasis on the three higher level subjects.

That's not to say they're looking to recruit lower standard students; they will continue to be one of the most competitive UK universities in terms of admissions, but will now consider a slightly broader spectrum of IB candidates. Many people like myself will be there with scores of around 40, simply because the prospectus have changed, and not the standards. As for people you know that have received offers with lower predicted scores; what you see as a 'strong' personal statement is entirely subjective and, quite frankly, theirs must've been stronger to have received an offer from King's! To continue, having a 41 predicted does not make you academically superior to someone predicted, say, a 37. If the latter has more attractive credentials, extracurriculars, a stronger personal statement, a good reference, a subject-specific test score (for applicants to courses like Law), generally seems like a candidate better suited to the principles of King's, or perhaps most importantly, a solid 37 as opposed to a predicted score, they will nearly always be favoured over you. Bear in mind that in my application round, King's received nearly 20 applications per place for Business Management. Any predicted score is, in essence, useless as anything but an indication of how the pupil is valued within their own school. Lastly, remember too that for highly reputable and traditional institutions, which school you are from may even play a part, particularly as an international student.

Original post by IBNator
First of all, do you know how tough the IB program is? The average score is around 28. I'm not saying I'm going to get 41 but really if you have a predicted of 41 then you should be able to get offers from most russell group universities (which I already have - Bath, Durham, Exeter and Glasgow). These all required a higher IB score yet accepted me? King's only wanted 35 and I'm well above the line, actually thought i was going to get an unconditional but unfortunately not. It's not like I mind because Bath and Exeter were my top choices, I'm just really surprised as to how they didn't accept it but oh well.
For the record, you are right, it does annoy me when people underestimate the rigours the IB. It is slowly getting more and more recognition in the UK though, so don't worry about it. Just for your information, Bath is famously not a part of the Russell Group, and Exeter I believe to be a fairly recent addition. In any case, good luck with your applications and your upcoming examinations!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by zizi.karl
You're obviously new here.

King's only very recently lowered their IB entry requirements due to complaints and pressure from international schools and, believe it or not, 'parents of applicants' who thought the IB entry requirements weren't equivalent to the A-Level listings. Back when I applied during my IB two years ago, their entry requirements for Law, History and the likes were 39, with the majority of other courses ranging from 36 to 38. They've now lowered their maximum admission standards to 35 for the IB across all courses, but with heavier emphasis on the three higher level subjects.

That's not to say they're looking to recruit lower standard students; they will continue to be one of the most competitive UK universities in terms of admissions, but will now consider a slightly broader spectrum of IB candidates. Many people like myself will be there with scores of around 40, simply because the prospectus have changed, and not the standards. As for people you know that have received offers with lower predicted scores; what you see as a 'strong' personal statement is entirely subjective and, quite frankly, theirs must've been stronger to have received an offer from King's! To continue, having a 41 predicted does not make you academically superior to someone predicted, say, a 37. If the latter has more attractive credentials, extracurriculars, a stronger personal statement, a good reference, a subject-specific test score (for applicants to courses like Law), generally seems like a candidate better suited to the principles of King's, or perhaps most importantly, a solid 37 as opposed to a predicted score, they will nearly always be favoured over you. Bear in mind that in my application round, King's received nearly 20 applications per place for Business Management. Any predicted score is, in essence, useless as anything but an indication of how the pupil is valued within their own school. Lastly, remember too that for highly reputable and traditional institutions, which school you are from may even play a part, particularly as an international student.

For the record, you are right, it does annoy me when people underestimate the rigours the IB. It is slowly getting more and more recognition in the UK though, so don't worry about it. Just for your information, Bath is famously not a part of the Russell Group, and Exeter I believe to be a fairly recent addition. In any case, good luck with your applications and your upcoming examinations!

That's just the reply I was looking for, thanks for the insight! I do realise the competitiveness of it now and probably came across as naive but it was just the mere surprise and feeling of rejection that made me question why it was so difficult to get in. Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest