Chagar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Any tips on how to get better at multiple choice? improving time management as some questions are extremely long. How to find the correct answer as there are always 2 answers which are extremely similar.

Thanks
Lord Fifa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did AS Economics and managed to get on A and all I did was get really good at doing the multiple choice. What I did was firstly go through all my notes and read the AS economic text book just so I had a grasp of the theory. Then I started doing past papers, once I had marked them, any ones that I did wrong and did not understand I would go back and makes notes on it until I did understand. I then went onto another past paper, and this carried on till I had finished all of them including the specimen paper.
Once you start doing them you realise which questions try to trick you and they do this regularly in every past papers so you get accustomed to picking out 'red herrings'.
I was able to start getting 23-24 correct in the multiple choices once I start practising them and you start to be able to do them quickly as well, so you get more time doing the essay questions.
Hope this helped pal
Jkizer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chagar)
Any tips on how to get better at multiple choice? improving time management as some questions are extremely long. How to find the correct answer as there are always 2 answers which are extremely similar.

Thanks
Break down on how you get the answer in logical steps. Its actually easier to go through each multiple chocie and think - will this follow the logic of the question. It helped me a lot when i did them!

For example, quickly picking out a question:
An expansionary monetary policy designed to increase aggregate demand is less likely to achieve this objective if, at the same time, the government
A increases spending on defence.
B cuts the basic rate of income tax.
C increases unemployment benefits.
D reduces the budget deficit.

So my first thinking is of monetary policy. Expansionary would mean lower interest rates and higher money supply. But the question basically says which of the following, if implemented would lower AD.

Obviously A would be ruled out, since defence spending is govt spending which increases AD. B would also have to be ruled out, since cutting income tax means people have more money which means people will spend more. C will also have the same effects. People have more money, so more likely to spend. Reducing the budget deficit, aka reducing government spending will definetly reduce AD therefore D is the answer.

If you need help with understanding more multi choice, feel free to pm! I say the trick with multi choice is understanding the logical process of getting the answer.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Draw graphs next to the question to illustrate stuff. I did that at AS anyway and it worked for me :dontknow:. Apparently getting an A in AS economics is fairly simple.. In A2 is where it gets a little more complex.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads