The Student Room Group

Will a Uni lower their offer if I ask them via e-mail?

So I have 4 offers, 3 are AAA and one is ABB. I decided I don't particularly want to go to the ABB uni and I have decided on which AAA I want to firm. So, If I were to e-mail one of the AAAs, which would be Bristol studying History, asking for a lowered offer to AAB would they be likely to do that? Also, if they deemed it too "rude" to ask, would they remove their offer?

Scroll to see replies

Why would they lower it? If that was acceptable then everyone would do it.
Unless there's a good reason then i don't see it happening.
Reply 2
Probably not.
Reply 3
You can try, but you will very likely make yourself look like a tool.
Most likely, they won't. Just work harder and get the AAA.
Ok thanks, It would just be pretty swell if they did lower it but I guess i'll just have to get AAA then

Is there a chance that if I put the AAA as my insurance they might still let me in if I get AAB?
Original post by SixteenSaltines
Ok thanks, It would just be pretty swell if they did lower it but I guess i'll just have to get AAA then

Is there a chance that if I put the AAA as my insurance they might still let me in if I get AAB?

It depends on the demand for places, also clearing should be taken into consideration. Some universities are lenient with results whereas others aren't. Which university in particular are you referring to, and for what course?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
It depends on the demand for places, also clearing should be taken into consideration. Some universities are lenient with results whereas others aren't. Which university in particular are you referring to, and for what course?

History at Bristol
History at Bristol

They're pretty highly ranked for History. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance in hopes of being accepted with a lower grade as the university has every right to reject you. Work as hard as possible for the grades you need now.
History at Bristol

I genuinely wouldn't hold your breath.
I'm rather looking forward to returnmigrant's reply to this!!! :biggrin:
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm rather looking forward to returnmigrant's reply to this!!! :biggrin:

Me too! *gets popcorn*
Reply 12
History at Bristol

My brother missed his Bristol offer by 2points (AAB instead of AAA, it wasn't even in the required subject) and was rejected outright, even after phoning them and begging. He ended up at his insurance uni, Newcastle, getting a first, so their loss.
Bristol is very strict with its offers. It can be, because it is vastly oversubscribed and very popular with unsuccessful Oxbridge applicants.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Me too! *gets popcorn*

Nachos too!
Original post by ageshallnot
Nachos too!

If I'd learned how to quote someone into a thread, I'd do so, but despite having written instructions from someone, I still don't know how. Perhaps the power of telepathy will bring him/her in. (Still not sure of the gender!)
If I'd learned how to quote someone into a thread, I'd do so, but despite having written instructions from someone, I still don't know how. Perhaps the power of telepathy will bring him/her in. (Still not sure of the gender!)

Original post by returnmigrant
!

I thought you just had to quote something that had written into a new thread.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lipslikemorphine
I thought you just had to quote something that had written into a new thread.

I just don't know how...:redface:

Maybe if we all hold hands and chant....???

I shouldn't be laughing so hard. :colondollar:

Hang on let me try and see if my way works by quoting you in another thread.
Reply 19

[noparse]
membername
something funny here
[/noparse]

so if I wanted to quote you in, i'd put

[noparse]
carnationlilyrose
Juno is amazing
[/noparse]