How ethnically diverse is newcastle university?

Watch
fuzka
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just wanted to know.
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Considerably less than London/Manchester.
Considerably more than Sunderland/Aberystwyth .
fuzka
Rep:
?
Well I mean if you could rank them in order of largest to smallest than that would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DELETED ACCOUNT
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Newcastle university is pre-dominantly white. The largest group without a doubt is white British. However, there is a sizeable number of those who come from the very far east of asia (china etc), and there is a significant number from the south-east of asia (India, Pakistan etc) however they appeared to be in the rather tiny minority. This isn't based on statistics I'm afraid (which could paint a different picture) but it is mainly based on my first impression of the university (I'm black and from birmingham which is extremely multi-racial).
Newcastle is also known for its posh rahs due to their higher than average intake of pupils from private schools .i.e. very few Geordies! The divisions amongst students at British universities are mostly due to social class (accent) than one's racial background. (saying that those coming from abroad to study in the UK tend to stick to their own "kind")

It is a fine Russell group university however so don't let the lack of 'multiculturalism' put you off.
I know a friend from hull who goes to newcastle and he found it very multicultural haha!

I would presume that this 'ethnic composition' would be quite similar across the north east of England?
fuzka
Rep:
?
I was only wondering since I'm black and live in london which is also a very multi-racial city. I've never been to any parts of north east england, just stayed in the south.
DELETED ACCOUNT
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fuzka)
I was only wondering since I'm black and live in london which is also a very multi-racial city. I've never been to any parts of north east england, just stayed in the south.
Yes I can really relate as I also will be venturing up north for uni too. I think for any strong reputable university you will find relatively few black people, it doesn't really matter in the end and I am 100 percent sure that you will find someone of a similar backgroud as you...or someone who you just enjoy being around with regardless of colour
alysha29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I live about an hour away from Newcastle! Upon visits to the uni (hopefully ending up there in September) to me it seemed quite multicultural with a mix of diifferent nationalities from all over the world! It's the probably the most multicultural place in the northeast . I wouldn't worry about it, i'm of an ethnic minority myself and the reason I chose newcastle was for its cosmopolitan nature, i love meeting people of all different backgrounds. Also the university does a tandem scheme in the language library where you can practice loads of different languages with natives so It must be quite a multilingual place if they offer that in success.
Are you going to university this year or just thinking about applying? Its worth going down just to get a feel for the place if you haven't been before. I love it though!
fuzka
Rep:
?
I've firmed Newcastle university this year and the course I chose is chemical engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
alysha29
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thats great! Well best of luck and I might see you there! Quite a popular course-chem engineering!
fuzka
Rep:
?
(Original post by alysha29)
Thats great! Well best of luck and I might see you there! Quite a popular course-chem engineering!
Cheers!, I might see you there also.
diggy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fuzka)
Same !! I went there 2 weekends ago, and at the open day I asked " Is the university socially diverse? And one student kept going on about Irish and french ppl and im like -_- that's not what i meant
alysha29
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
guys i honestly wouldnt worry!! Northeasteners and geordies especially are said to be some of the nicest people in the UK. i can vouch for that too being from the northeast myself
if you want to know anymore about the northeast or anything just drop me a pm and i would be more than happy to help
fuzka
Rep:
?
(Original post by diggy)
Same !! I went there 2 weekends ago, and at the open day I asked " Is the university socially diverse? And one student kept going on about Irish and french ppl and im like -_- that's not what i meant
hahahha, what some people dont understand that is asking "Is the university socially diverse?" is just a poltically correct way to say how many are there of my kind are at this university.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alysha29)
guys i honestly wouldnt worry!! Northeasteners and geordies especially are said to be some of the nicest people in the UK. i can vouch for that too being from the northeast myself
if you want to know anymore about the northeast or anything just drop me a pm and i would be more than happy to help
How cheap is Newcastle compared to cities like Liverpool, Sheffield and Manchester?
GoldenGlo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have a look at Newcastle University Student's Union list of societies to give yourself an idea of what ethnic groups predominate or at least represent themselves there http://www.nusu.co.uk/soc/content/92...ous__cultural/. You need at least 15 paying members to form a society so that would give you an idea of minimum size.

Basically agree with frogs r everywhere.

Largest to smallest by gross guesstimation
Chinese
Indian subcontinent
Malaysian
Afro-Caribbean (esp. Nigerians)

I'm from London too and Black British and have really enjoyed uni up north. Both Newcastle and Northumbria have a large body of international students and you will find most non-white students are not UK or EU students as compared to what I imagine the converse would be in London say. The student population is visibly more diverse than the local population as one might expect.

I can only really speak from my own experience having spent the past 6 years at Newcastle, what I can say is it is becoming more diverse. Like many UK cities there are more than enough places to buy Afro-caribbean food, there are African churches, African music nights at clubs if that's what your concerned about.

I haven't lived in other Northern cities but Newcastle is very affordable and has a lot of bargain shops. Rent can also be really low, I once paid £42 a week including water for a double room in a shared 3 bed flat, no agency fee. You can get around the city most on foot or bus/metro inexpensively. Taxis are also ridiculously cheap - I even know of some coursemates who used to take taxis to uni if they were running late...

This thread was really close to home that being the reason I posted and as I'm normally more of a spectator on TSR do feel free to PM
fuzka
Rep:
?
Wow £42 is insanely cheap, Why are accomodation so cheap over there?
diggy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fuzka)
hahahha, what some people dont understand that is asking "Is the university socially diverse?" is just a poltically correct way to say how many are there of my kind are at this university.
Trust, what course are you gonna be studying ?
fuzka
Rep:
?
Chemical engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
tee05
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm mixed race (white and black Caribbean) and visited Newcastle a few months ago. I spent the whole day there and saw TWO black people the whole day - not that that's a bad thing but yeah, I don't think it's very mixed at all. I'm from Manchester which is very mixed, and due to a rejection from the university I wanted to go to, I'm having to choose Newcastle as my firm... I'm still unsure about the place :/
DELETED ACCOUNT
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
How cheap is Newcastle compared to cities like Liverpool, Sheffield and Manchester?
This is not based on facts however I'd say Newcastle is cheaper than Manchester and more expensive than Sheffield. I am not entirely certain where Liverpool sits on this spectrum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.03%
I don't have everything I need (255)
43.97%

Watched Threads