Advantages of buying car/motorcycle with finance over buying with cash?

Watch
hsv
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Advantages of buying car/motorcycle with finance over buying with cash? Do people do this because they don't want to save up or are there any other advantages of purchasing with finance over paying with cash? Suppose this can relate to other purchases as well.
DotDotCurve
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
Advantages of buying car/motorcycle with finance over buying with cash? Do people do this because they don't want to save up or are there any other advantages of purchasing with finance over paying with cash? Suppose this can relate to other purchases as well.
I bought mines on finance as I wanted a newish car, that is very fun to drive, decent on fuel and that would last me the next 5 years. It wasn't that I didn't want to save up, it was just easier and I get the car years earlier this way. All I am forking out is an extra £1500 over the 5 years.

Once I hit 25 I can decide whether to keep my hot hatch or trade it in for something even more fun.
jusdorange
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
cars are different from other loans

but to answer your question

the majority of cars are bought on finance, and dealers usually give some sort of discount because it works well for them

works well for you because essentially you fix depreciation

you have that spare cash to invest elsewhere, may get more on that return than the apr charged for the car, on a side note, APR for cars is at a historical low, so no better time to get it

where it doesn't pan out, is for smaller cars, the repayments are too high, better to buy outright
hsv
Rep:
(Original post by jusdorange)
cars are different from other loans

but to answer your question

the majority of cars are bought on finance, and dealers usually give some sort of discount because it works well for them

works well for you because essentially you fix depreciation

you have that spare cash to invest elsewhere, may get more on that return than the apr charged for the car, on a side note, APR for cars is at a historical low, so no better time to get it

where it doesn't pan out, is for smaller cars, the repayments are too high, better to buy outright
fix depreciation because the dealer agrees to buy the car/motorcycle at a certain price with some finance offers, is that what you mean or fix depreciation in some other way?
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If you're buying brand new and you've got the cash, you can often get a better deal by signing up to the finance, paying the first payment and then settling the finance as opposed to just handing over cash.
The dealer will get a kickback from the finance co so there may be a little more wiggle room in your favour.

No point having finance if you've got the cash though - it just costs you more in the long run. Even on 0% it's still a big debt over your head.

If you do insist on having finance, make sure you have gap insurance too. You'll be glad if you did and need it!
hsv
Rep:
(Original post by JC.)
If you're buying brand new and you've got the cash, you can often get a better deal by signing up to the finance, paying the first payment and then settling the finance as opposed to just handing over cash.
The dealer will get a kickback from the finance co so there may be a little more wiggle room in your favour.

No point having finance if you've got the cash though - it just costs you more in the long run. Even on 0% it's still a big debt over your head.

If you do insist on having finance, make sure you have gap insurance too. You'll be glad if you did and need it!
What about when buying used? Or is the principle the same.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hsv)
What about when buying used? Or is the principle the same.
Nope, when you're buying used cash is king if it's a small independent.
It won't neccesarily have to go through the books!

I wouldn't buy from a car supermarket. The amount they have across cars is unreal. Although, you'll get a bit more come back if there's problems - so again swings and round abouts.

The best deals used are from private sales in terms of outlay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads