A2 History meltdown help- Extension of the Franchise 1832-1917 Watch

Adrian_H
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My coursework question is "What was the short term significance of Disraeli in the introduction of the Second Reform Act?", and I have little idea what to put, any advice would be very much appreciated.
Adrian_H
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My basic themes are : Disraeli's political opportunism - enhanced power of the Tories as well as his own personal political career

Counter argument - popular pressure- Hyde park riots

Im struggling with o to properly answer the question. Why did all these factors make Disraeli SIGNIFICANT in the passing of the act, rather than explaining causes of the second reform act
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Adrian_H)
My basic themes are : Disraeli's political opportunism - enhanced power of the Tories as well as his own personal political career

Counter argument - popular pressure- Hyde park riots

Im struggling with o to properly answer the question. Why did all these factors make Disraeli SIGNIFICANT in the passing of the act, rather than explaining causes of the second reform act
You could try flipping the question round - if Disraeli didn't exist, would the reform act have still gone through? That might help you work out why Disraeli was a significant cause compared to the other causes. (Or... maybe he wasn't significant at all!)

Unfortunately, the question doesn't lend itself that well to being analytical. 'How significant was Disraeli in...' would be easier, methinks. Can you speak to your teacher about it?
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In the immediate term Palmerston dies in 1865, Gladstone proposes a bill in 1866 for a SRA, Disraeli gets into govt and introduced a bill more radical bill for the actual SRA- i think in the short term a Reform Act was going to happen but Disraeli's significance is making it more radical than it would have been
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AndrewGrace)
In the immediate term Palmerston dies in 1865, Gladstone proposes a bill in 1866 for a SRA, Disraeli gets into govt and introduced a bill more radical bill for the actual SRA- i think in the short term a Reform Act was going to happen but Disraeli's significance is making it more radical than it would have been
So - that's a great start.

Do you think the Conservatives would still have tried to 'out-Gladstone' Gladstone if Disraeli hadn't been there?

Do you think that there would have been enough public pressure to cause more far-reaching reform without competition between the two parties...?
AndrewGrace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For your first question: the conservatives had been out of power for 20 years and so would have been desperate to regain power so in terms of gaining the 'party political advantage' you could argue yes definitely, nevertheless the G/D rivalry is key

For the second question: The public pressure was definitely key in the notion of reform being introduced but the impact of the upper class nature of politics at the time it is probably most accurate to argue that without the party competition the SRA would not have been as radical as it ended up being
AndrewGrace
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://cgshistory.weebly.com/uploads...ct-of-1867.pdf this could be of some help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads