The Student Room Group

Tips for getting 100 UMS in a paper?

I'm aiming for a total of 400 UMS in C1/C3/C4/D1, with a resit in C1. I know all the content inside out, it's just very silly mistakes I make (e.g. 2 + 3 = 1) where I drop a mark and don't get 100 UMS.
Is there any suggestions in order to prevent this from happening more often? Aside from plenty of sleep etc.
For example, altering my notation so that it is easier to proof-read? I'm absolutely determined. Any contribution at all is greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you have to resit C1 then I don't think you'll be able to get 100 UMS. Aim for about 45/100 :yy:
Reply 2
Do you make these mistakes in your everyday work or does it only come up in exams?
Reply 3
Original post by zNutty
I know all the content inside out, it's just very silly mistakes I make (e.g. 2 + 3 = 1) where I drop a mark and don't get 100 UMS.

You must make a lot of silly mistakes then since 100UMS does not require full marks on the paper.

Certainly a clear layout that you and the examiner can follow and that you can easily check will help

Double check all integration by differentiating

Look for actual rather than rounded answers

Certainly do not round off during the question
100 UMS is like hitting the ceiling with a football with gravity turned upside down so the ball slowly but surely comes to the max.

Speaking from experience there's nothing you could do to save or gain the final few marks (after 97 UMS it's all about LUCK).

An important thing to do IN the exam (which many overconfident students don't bother doing) is to respect each question to its merit - giving each question its share of time and effort. And use all the time in the exam (it's tempting to just stare off the last half-hour but it feels **** if you knew that checking your answers once more would have saved you) :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sellsword
If you have to resit C1 then I don't think you'll be able to get 100 UMS. Aim for about 45/100 :yy:

Why be such a ****. You should be encouraging him instead of putting him down. :mad:

OP, do every past paper and know the questions the type of questions they ask inside out so theres no surprises in the real paper. You'll gradually because quicker at answering as well as becoming less prone to making simple mistakes. :biggrin:
Original post by TenOfThem
You must make a lot of silly mistakes then since 100UMS does not require full marks on the paper.

Even for C1, C2 (and S1?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

I hardly tried for AS, now I am consistently getting 100 UMS across the modules.

Original post by cambo211
Do you make these mistakes in your everyday work or does it only come up in exams?

It's both really. It's the sort of mistakes like accidentally writing down the question incorrectly, mixing up negative signs, and getting basic addition/etc. wrong.

Certainly a clear layout that you and the examiner can follow and that you can easily check will help

Double check all integration by differentiating

Look for actual rather than rounded answers

Certainly do not round off during the question

For Edexcel, most papers require 75/75 for 100 UMS, with the occasional bit of leverage for incidents like June 2013 C3. What is a good example of a "clear layout" though? I'm not sure if my notation right now is clear or not. I don't ever lose marks due to rounding errors, I always keep it exact where possible.

There will be a number of students who, for whatever reason, didn't do well in year 12 AS maths who come good in year 13.
Reply 9
Original post by zNutty
What is a good example of a "clear layout" though? I'm not sure if my notation right now is clear or not.

Surely your teacher has shown you how to layout questions and use the correct notation
Get everything right.
Reply 11
Original post by zNutty
I hardly tried for AS, now I am consistently getting 100 UMS across the modules.

It's both really. It's the sort of mistakes like accidentally writing down the question incorrectly, mixing up negative signs, and getting basic addition/etc. wrong.

For Edexcel, most papers require 75/75 for 100 UMS, with the occasional bit of leverage for incidents like June 2013 C3. What is a good example of a "clear layout" though? I'm not sure if my notation right now is clear or not. I don't ever lose marks due to rounding errors, I always keep it exact where possible.

Slow yourself down, don't try and rush through the 'easy' stuff only to lose marks due to a daft error.

Think about your answers, think if what you're writing down makes sense and makes it clear what you're doing to the examiner.
Reply 12
Original post by Hazard17
Why be such a ****. You should be encouraging him instead of putting him down. :mad:

If he's going to get 100 UMS he's going to get it regardless of your lame advice. Eat, sleep, past papers is all you need.

Original post by zNutty

Then you'll get it in the exam.

Original post by m4ths/maths247
There will be a number of students who, for whatever reason, didn't do well in year 12 AS maths who come good in year 13.

C1 is very basic though, people do it in their final year of GCSE.
Reply 13
Original post by Hazard17

OP, do every past paper and know the questions the type of questions they ask inside out so theres no surprises in the real paper. You'll gradually because quicker at answering as well as becoming less prone to making simple mistakes. :biggrin:

Haha, trust me, for C3 I did every Edexcel past paper as well as Solomons, then re-attempted any Solomons I didn't get 100% on.

Original post by RoyalBlue7
100 UMS is like hitting the ceiling with a football with gravity turned upside down so the ball slowly but surely comes to the max.

Speaking from experience there's nothing you could do to save or gain the final few marks (after 97 UMS it's all about LUCK).

I agree with you completely. That's what I mean, I consistently get 97+ UMS and the UMS I do drop is from really stupid mistakes. I'm trying to see if there's a way to avoid luck taking a part into it, seeing as it'll be difficult to ride my luck for four exams.

Surely your teacher has shown you how to layout questions and use the correct notation

Not particularly, there's no focus on the layout. Just the content.

You do realise that the OP has not told us his score for C1

Perhaps he got 95UMS and he wants to go for 100
Original post by zNutty

Not particularly, there's no focus on the layout. Just the content.

Then ask them or some model answers
Reply 16
You do realise that the OP has not told us his score for C1

Perhaps he got 95UMS and he wants to go for 100

I think if he was smart enough to get 95 UMS then he wouldn't be asking this question. Like I said, eat, sleep and past papers is all you need for 100 across the board.

C1 is very basic for some and some do it in y11.
I have taught a number of students who either don't take y12 hugely seriously or start to find their mathematical brain in y13.
It has been done time an time again. Students who hit say 75 UM on C1 in January of year 12 hit 95+ in the summer of their year 13.
I don't think your 45/100 comment was fair.
Reply 18
I think if he was smart enough to get 95 UMS then he wouldn't be asking this question. Like I said, eat, sleep and past papers is all you need for 100 across the board.

Are you saying it's stupid to try and improve?
For the mocks, I actually did only eat sleep and do past papers for a few days, actual 14 hour revision days. It's the small mistakes I do that I'm trying to eliminate. The way I improved originally was typing up all my scores on all the Solomons into Excel and seeing if there was a pattern for the type of question I scored badly on. From this, I revised that topic a lot and did questions etc, and that's what I'm trying to do now. Identify the problem and come up with solutions, the problem being not getting 100 UMS every time.

For some students this is not the way to get 100 UMS. Knowing each topic is, not just being able to answer 8-10 questions set out on past papers.
Edexcel C3 June 2013 showed this.

Quick Reply

Latest