The Student Room Group

Does the government think students are mugs or what?

The government tell us for years to get a good job we need to go to University.

Then they triple our fees, charging us for something that used to be free.

Now there's no jobs, the government tell graduates who can't find a job need to stop shunning jobs in Starbucks, McDonalds, Pret A Manger etc and learn what "hard work" is and to start at the bottom and work their way up.

A receptionist or an office assistant is starting at the bottom, in my opinion, not waitressing or making coffee.

Does the government think people are really going to go for low paid jobs when they are being charged extortionate fees?

If you buy a first class plane ticket, and the flight is full, are you going to be content with being sent to economy class? No, you're not, you deserve business class at least.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Students usually are mugs hence why they fall for cultural marxism so easily.

http://imgur.com/a/fmjFJ#0
Lol, they're mugs if they do pointless degrees.
Reply 3
Why are you blaming the government, when the culpable parties are clearly successive generations of teachers and parents, as well as the students themselves?

Does the government put across the "university or bust" message that you get in schools, or indeed on TSR?
Reply 4
Whaaat? Noooo...The government don't think students are mugs...The government thinks EEEEEVERYONE'S a mug. Unless of course you're a politician, cuz they're all stand up all deserving citizens.
Reply 5
Original post by Abdul-Karim

You took the words straight out of my mouth aha I mean people I have heard of would study some foundation degree courses in say accountancy at a horrid university and then complain that they cannot become an accountant
Reply 6

I respect your opinion mate, but a degree is far from pointless if it has the interest of the student.
Original post by TheMagican
You took the words straight out of my mouth aha I mean people I have heard of would study some foundation degree courses in say accountancy at a horrid university and then complain that they cannot become an accountant

Why do an accountancy degree even? when there are school leaver programmes such with KPMG which garuntee jobs.
Original post by porcelainwhite
The government tell us for years to get a good job we need to go to University.

Then they triple our fees, charging us for something that used to be free.

Now there's no jobs, the government tell graduates who can't find a job need to stop shunning jobs in Starbucks, McDonalds, Pret A Manger etc and learn what "hard work" is and to start at the bottom and work their way up.

A receptionist or an office assistant is starting at the bottom, in my opinion, not waitressing or making coffee.

Does the government think people are really going to go for low paid jobs when they are being charged extortionate fees?

If you buy a first class plane ticket, and the flight is full, are you going to be content with being sent to economy class? No, you're not, you deserve business class at least.

Why have you overlooked the fact that you pay back your loan after earning more than 21k annually?
Reply 9
Why do an accountancy degree even? when there are school leaver programmes such with KPMG which garuntee jobs.

Some people are just stupid enough to assume any university and any degree = top job lol
*Newsflash*

Students are ​mugs.
Original post by Conorburke
I respect your opinion mate, but a degree is far from pointless if it has the interest of the student.

No idea what goes on in la la land but in the real world a lot of degrees are pointless.

Like Religious Studies.
Reply 13
Original post by Clip
Why are you blaming the government, when the culpable parties are clearly successive generations of teachers and parents, as well as the students themselves?

Does the government put across the "university or bust" message that you get in schools, or indeed on TSR?

I think the government did put across this message with a lot of government-funded university advertising/ pushing in schools.
Original post by ChaosSaint
Whaaat? Noooo...The government don't think students are mugs...The government thinks EEEEEVERYONE'S a mug. Unless of course you're a politician, cuz they're all stand up all deserving citizens.

just what i though
Reply 15
Perhaps if more of that demographic voted then...
You don't deserve anything.

Take some responsibility for the decisions you make.

It's easy to blame other people if you fail. Some things are the government's fault, but anyone who chooses to go to university, pay the fees and doesn't have the sense to actually look into what happens afterwards probably is a mug, yes.
Reply 17
Original post by MJ1012
I think the government did put across this message with a lot of government-funded university advertising/ pushing in schools.

Some governments were satisfied with much lower levels of university education. Such governments were derided by students as being elitist.

Later governments pushed for 50% or more of young people becoming undergraduates. Naturally this had to be accompanied by telling people that it was going to all be great.
Original post by Clip

This. So many people are told by schools that the normal thing to do is to go to university. Not everyone should go to university. That's not the point. It's becoming ridiculous.
Reply 19
Original post by Clip
Some governments were satisfied with much lower levels of university education. Such governments were derided by students as being elitist.

Later governments pushed for 50% or more of young people becoming undergraduates. Naturally this had to be accompanied by telling people that it was going to all be great.

So...it was the fault of the government then.

Quick Reply

Latest