The Student Room Group

Can't get a job - what am I doing wrong

OK, folks, here's my story.

At the age of 18, I gained a diploma in computing at college. I then went to university to study a computer graphics course, but sadly I was only there for one year because - due to financial issues - I dropped out. This happened when I was 20, and my highest qualification is my diploma in computing.

I was unemployed for just over a year. While I was unemployed, the job centre put me on a two week course known as "Gateway to work", which was completely useless. They did nothing to help me find work. They took a copy of my CV so they could review for me... but I never saw it again. I eventually got my first full-time job - a food production assistant at a bakery. I hated it there, but it was still a job. Unfortunately, I was asked to leave after about 4 months because I was a slow worker.

So then I was unemployed again, but this time for only 6 months. During that time, I started volunteering in a charity shop, and I later got another job, this time as a sales assistant in my local Currys electronics store. That job was fine, but it was only part-time. Luckily, a few months later I managed to get a full-time job in the machinery department at my local garden centre. The employer had looked at my CV and saw that I am good with computers, so he hired me to not only do machinery work, but to edit the company website as well. I thought I'd landed the perfect job... but it was short lived. I was fired because I simply wasn't terribly great at the machinery side of things.

So, unemployed for the 3rd time. I was fed up, so I decided to visit my local careers centre, but it was a complete waste of time. The advisor that I spoke to was more useless than a chocolate teapot. I showed him my CV and told him that I'm looking for work involving computing or office administration. All he could say was, "You should have no problem finding that sort of work with a CV such as yours." I walked out of the building, with the advisor having a look of sheer bewilderment on his face.

At that time, I had also been put on the 2-year long work programme. Like Gateway to Work, they did nothing to help me find work, and they were incredibly disorganised. I started volunteering at another charity shop. A couple of months later, I managed to get a full-time job - a sales administrator at a local shop that sells fireplaces. I was told that I would receive product training... BUT I DIDN'T. After 6 months, they fired me because they said I wasn't suitable, since I didn't have sufficient product knowledge, but they didn't even give me that knowledge!!!

So, this is where I am right now: unemployed for the 4th time in my life. I've had a total of 4 jobs, and I've lost 3 of them. I apply for jobs pretty much every day, and I keep being told that I was unsuccessful. I want a job in computing, but that industry is highly competitive and really hard to get into. But at the same time, I have trouble finding retail jobs. I also recently applied for computing apprenticeships, but I never heard back from them at all.

COUNTLESS people have suggested returning to education. Yes, that does sound like a good idea... BUT WHAT SHOULD I STUDY?

It's been almost 2 months since I was fired from the fireplace shop. Could someone PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by Buddy900

At the age of 18, I gained a diploma in computing at college. I then went to university to study a computer graphics course, but sadly I was only there for one year because - due to financial issues - I dropped out. This happened when I was 20, and my highest qualification is my diploma in computing.

I was unemployed for just over a year. While I was unemployed, the job centre put me on a two week course known as "Gateway to work", which was completely useless. They did nothing to help me find work. They took a copy of my CV so they could review for me... but I never saw it again. I eventually got my first full-time job - a food production assistant at a bakery. I hated it there, but it was still a job. Unfortunately, I was asked to leave after about 4 months because I was a slow worker.

So then I was unemployed again, but this time for only 6 months. During that time, I started volunteering in a charity shop, and I later got another job, this time as a sales assistant in my local Currys electronics store. That job was fine, but it was only part-time. Luckily, a few months later I managed to get a full-time job in the machinery department at my local garden centre. The employer had looked at my CV and saw that I am good with computers, so he hired me to not only do machinery work, but to edit the company website as well. I thought I'd landed the perfect job... but it was short lived. I was fired because I simply wasn't terribly great at the machinery side of things.

So, unemployed for the 3rd time. I was fed up, so I decided to visit my local careers centre, but it was a complete waste of time. The advisor that I spoke to was more useless than a chocolate teapot. I showed him my CV and told him that I'm looking for work involving computing or office administration. All he could say was, "You should have no problem finding that sort of work with a CV such as yours." I walked out of the building, with the advisor having a look of sheer bewilderment on his face.

At that time, I had also been put on the 2-year long work programme. Like Gateway to Work, they did nothing to help me find work, and they were incredibly disorganised. I started volunteering at another charity shop. A couple of months later, I managed to get a full-time job - a sales administrator at a local shop that sells fireplaces. I was told that I would receive product training... BUT I DIDN'T. After 6 months, they fired me because they said I wasn't suitable, since I didn't have sufficient product knowledge, but they didn't even give me that knowledge!!!

So, this is where I am right now: unemployed for the 4th time in my life. I've had a total of 4 jobs, and I've lost 3 of them. I apply for jobs pretty much every day, and I keep being told that I was unsuccessful. I want a job in computing, but that industry is highly competitive and really hard to get into. But at the same time, I have trouble finding retail jobs. I also recently applied for computing apprenticeships, but I never heard back from them at all.

COUNTLESS people have suggested returning to education. Yes, that does sound like a good idea... BUT WHAT SHOULD I STUDY?

It's been almost 2 months since I was fired from the fireplace shop. Could someone PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Your problem is that you sound like a poor worker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Each job sounds like the same thing, you lost motivation and got sacked for slacking. Try to maintain motivation or at least enough motivation to allow you get by.

As for possibly going back to university, perhaps do Computer Science at a lesser university. The requirements aren't high but you'd have the chance to do a placement and perhaps get your foot in the door?

Were you late frequently?
You study what you want to study. Honestly if you don't want to go back into education, don't! Write a list of the things you enjoy doing.
Reply 5
Original post by bluebluepurple
Were you late frequently?

Nope, I was always on time. And the management never mentioned any issues with my arrival times.
Reply 6
I read the whole thing; very sorry to hear that :console:

Not too sure what went wrong. Do you believe that you're a slow worker? What did you say when they mentioned this to you?
Reply 7
Your a hits worker.
Reply 8
Original post by kka25

Not too sure what went wrong. Do you believe that you're a slow worker? What did you say when they mentioned this to you?

On occasion, I am a bit of a slow worker, though I think it's only because I'm a very careful person who wants to make sure the job is done without any error. Furthermore, if it's a task that I haven't done in a long time (and only once), I'll forget how it's done.

My dismissal from my last job was definitely an unfair one because, like I said, I wasn't given the product training that I was promised. Furthermore, I did a stock-take during my final month with them, and they said I did it completely wrong, but they never told me exactly how I did it wrong; I'm 100% sure I did it right. Because of that, I actually think they were conspiring against me to get rid of me.

Also, I want to take this opportunity to say that I'm going to a jobs fair tomorrow. Hopefully it will get me something. If it doesn't, I'll be completely astounded.
Reply 9
On occasion, I am a bit of a slow worker, though I think it's only because I'm a very careful person who wants to make sure the job is done without any error. Furthermore, if it's a task that I haven't done in a long time (and only once), I'll forget how it's done.

My dismissal from my last job was definitely an unfair one because, like I said, I wasn't given the product training that I was promised. Furthermore, I did a stock-take during my final month with them, and they said I did it completely wrong, but they never told me exactly how I did it wrong; I'm 100% sure I did it right. Because of that, I actually think they were conspiring against me to get rid of me.

Also, I want to take this opportunity to say that I'm going to a jobs fair tomorrow. Hopefully it will get me something. If it doesn't, I'll be completely astounded.

I can appreciate your first paragraph. I'm also a careful person so normally that will slow me down a bit : /

I'm not sure what advise I can give. I think you're in an unfortunate situation : /

Let me know how it goes! :smile:
Reply 10
The jobs fair went alright I guess. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't excellent. I was really interested in asking about apprenticeships, but the majority of them required me to already be employed. I also got the opportunity to talk to careers advisors, but again I was given advice that I've already tried.

Out of everyone who's unemployed in this world, I sometimes feel as if I'm the hardest one for people to help. Several people are completely baffled by how hard I'm finding it to get a job, especially with my good-quality CV.
Reply 11
The jobs fair went alright I guess. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't excellent. I was really interested in asking about apprenticeships, but the majority of them required me to already be employed. I also got the opportunity to talk to careers advisors, but again I was given advice that I've already tried.

Out of everyone who's unemployed in this world, I sometimes feel as if I'm the hardest one for people to help. Several people are completely baffled by how hard I'm finding it to get a job, especially with my good-quality CV.

Please describe quality CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My Story is identical to yours apart from the going to uni bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending