The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Beliefs in society, June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Mais.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean? it was a 33 marker though, it should give you a guideline on how to structure it but you should alter or develop the points further :biggrin:

i mean what mark did it get out of 33? its a really good essay
Original post by fays
Your a life saver thanks alot, i was getting worried haha! one more question, how would you answer a science and ideology question? cheers:smile:

The basic outline I would use is:-
1. Define how science has become more popular and created a widespread 'faith in science' etc. Mentioning Becker 'manufactured risks'
2. Karl Popper science as an open belief system; falsificstionism, Merton CUDOS norms etc. Criticise it with Polayni
3. Horton religion as a closed belief system
4. Thomas Kuhn - scientific paradigms
5. Intepretivist view - Knorr-Cetina etc.
6. Marxist, feminist and Postmodernism
7. Marxism and ideology

Hope that helped a bit :jive:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 382
Lets all pray that AQA were in a really positive mood when writing up these questions ... I hope it's an easy exam secularisation, feminism, definitions of religion if those came up i'd be happy does any one know how many marks i'd need not UMS but RAW marks in this paper to get a grade D/E overall...?
Reply 383
Not revising in time has me gambling with destiny!!! I shall never learn. Anyway, sort of analysed the past papers and stuff and came to the conclusion that these 5 essay topics are very likely to come up: science as a belief system, secularisation, NRMs or NAMs( they have came up in all papers trending pattern) ethnic minorities and religion, feminism, and religion as a force for social change. 9 marker is likely to be the 3 definitions of religion ie functionalist, substantive and social construct or possible reasons for differences in age and religious participation. If these come up I will get an A, anything else and I might as well just walk out the exam hall and cry.

God luck guys :smile:
I am dreading this exam. ------____________________-------
Original post by sophhiee
Hi! I have an 18 marker for secularisation in Britain that I did. I got 16/18 for it.

It's good but I can't believe how much you wrote! More like a 33!
Anyone using contemporary issues too? Got told they're vital for high mark bands, anyone got one for Marxism?
Original post by beckyyc17

I know what you mean, I agree it's far too much haha!
Original post by Stefan17
I would've thought so, what else can it really be?

I guess you could use functionalism as an opposing argument?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im really confused now :frown: I was thinking that for the question your teaching predicted you could talk about fundamentalism? How would marxism and feminism tie into conflict :frown:
Original post by crystal_soper
haha! how do fundamentalists actually reject change? Like what do they physically do?

I actually don't know. I've never had to include that in a question. I've literally just said that fundamentalists are interesting because they are both a conservative force and a force for social change etc. I haven't actually included HOW they reject change. Other than just saying "no" I suppose
Reply 390
Is there like a kinda consensus on what topics may come up tomo by teachers or so? I think I've seen every topic named don't know what to focus on!
Hi everyone, how likely will religion in the global context come up? I find it to be the hardest topic out of all 7 and I just can't get my head around it.
Original post by Jerry
Lets all pray that AQA were in a really positive mood when writing up these questions ... I hope it's an easy exam secularisation, feminism, definitions of religion if those came up i'd be happy does any one know how many marks i'd need not UMS but RAW marks in this paper to get a grade D/E overall...?

Well a range between

E- 23, 25, 24, 23, 20, 25, 22, 25

D- 28, 30, 28, 28, 25, 30, 27, 29

These were all the years from AQA :smile:
Reply 393
How long should an 18 and 33 marker be in pages? I still have to revise science and ideology, finish religious organisations and social groups and then memorise my notes
Original post by Alex626
How long should an 18 and 33 marker be in pages? I still have to revise science and ideology, finish religious organisations and social groups and then memorise my notes

Exactly the same here. 18 marker 2 sides, 33 marker around 3-4 sides.
Reply 395
Exactly the same here. 18 marker 2 sides, 33 marker around 3-4 sides.

Ah i see thanks, haha left it a bit late havent we
Reply 396
Is a question such as 'analyse the view that sects and cults are short lived' likely to come up?
Reply 397

on secularisation questions,are you only suppose to say why societies secular or show arguments against aswell? this is coz in that essay it only showed one side,but was really good
Who proposed the idea of spiritual shoppers and pick and mix religion
Original post by fays
on secularisation questions,are you only suppose to say why societies secular or show arguments against aswell? this is coz in that essay it only showed one side,but was really good

Arguments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending