The Student Room Group

Would having a Joint Honours degree disadvantage me for applying to Master's? HELP!

Basically, I got an offer to Aberdeen University for BSc Joint Honours Geology and Physics. And I'm pretty sure that I want to go on and study a Master's in Seismology (in some other Uni). It's just thats I'm not sure if studying a Joint Honours in these subjects would disadvantage me in applying to the Master's.

Apparently, if you study a Joint Honours, then you will have the same amount of depth in both subjects but not enough breadth in either of the two. But you would have enough breadth, if your courses were related, e.g. Maths and Physics. But looking at the Geology and Physics modules in Aberdeen, I think that they are quite different. So I wouldn't have enough breadth. Or am I wrong?

But by studying this Joint Honours, would it serve as a disadvantage for me later when I apply to do a Master's in Seismology?
Reply 1
Original post by Airess3
Basically, I got an offer to Aberdeen University for BSc Joint Honours Geology and Physics. And I'm pretty sure that I want to go on and study a Master's in Seismology (in some other Uni). It's just thats I'm not sure if studying a Joint Honours in these subjects would disadvantage me in applying to the Master's.

Apparently, if you study a Joint Honours, then you will have the same amount of depth in both subjects but not enough breadth in either of the two. But you would have enough breadth, if your courses were related, e.g. Maths and Physics. But looking at the Geology and Physics modules in Aberdeen, I think that they are quite different. So I wouldn't have enough breadth. Or am I wrong?

But by studying this Joint Honours, would it serve as a disadvantage for me later when I apply to do a Master's in Seismology?

Hi

This might be a bit unrelated but I know a girl who studied Law and Economics in France. When applying for her Master in Law she was told they did not recognised her dual degree. Of course this case is rather different, but to be certain I would call the university where you want to do your master and ask for their opinion on the matter.
A good idea would to check the entry requirements of seismology Masters.

It is very difficult to answer, not being an expert in your field and not knowing your syllabus/course. Geophysics is not that exotic, though and pure phsysics not a necessity. Depending on the course one also finds Geologist applying for Geophysics Masters, but again it depends on the course content and they are likely to have had the right amount of Math and Physics and other "harder options" in their BSc.
Reply 3
It's quite a limited field - not many unis are likely to have a Masters involving Seismology (www.findamasters.com doesn't list any in the UK). In that case, your best bet is to contact potential Masters unis direct and check with them. Subject web pages for each uni should also give a steer.

One example is Imperial's MSc Soil Mechanics which can be combined with Engineering Seismology, which has quite loose guidelines:
Applications may be considered from those with degrees in other branches of engineering and earth sciences. The minimum entry requirement for consideration is a good degree from a UK university (at upper second class or above), or an overseas equivalent.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/civilengineering/prospectivestudents/postgraduatetaughtadmissions/mscsoilmechanics

In that case, Geology & Physics seem a good match, so it would be worth dropping them an email (there's a "Contact Us" section on the page linked above) to allay your concerns about the joint honours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending