The Student Room Group

Need Hep revising! URGENTLY!

I am doing four as-levels and I am finding it really hard to revise or motivate myself. I have tried most things such as 20 minutes of revision and beaks inbetween but just can't seem to do anyhting. I just keep procrastinating! Also I am not doing so great in school either. Can anyone give me any tips. I am stufying Biology, Psychology, English lit and Philosophy & ethics. Any help appreciated!
Im in A2 now, and being in your situation last year, the only thing I can say is that you need to nail these AS levels. I didn't do that great and now I have 15 exams this year. This time in the year, you still have enough time to start revising and still get 4 A's but if you leave it any longer then you've ****ed it, get started and get motivated!
You need to find a way to revise that keeps you engaged - for me , i have over 6000 flashcards for two of my subjects (spanish and psychology) kept online (brainscape) and on my phone (flashcardlet)

the human brain does not like to leave a task unfinished once you've absorbed your mind in it , so flashcards work for me because i can see my progress and i think "oooo if i can just learn 50% of my flashcards for this topic" and then i do it , sit there for like an hour , and then i've learnt 50% of that topic!

it's just about the way to revise - try flashcards , try reading , try reading outloud, try recording yourself saying notes (works very well for my friends) or , like i also do , do a spread at a time with a reward at the end - so if you do notes on this spread and learn all the necessary information , you can have a chocolate bar or something , then rinse and repeat :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by hotliketea
You need to find a way to revise that keeps you engaged - for me , i have over 6000 flashcards for two of my subjects (spanish and psychology) kept online (brainscape) and on my phone (flashcardlet)

the human brain does not like to leave a task unfinished once you've absorbed your mind in it , so flashcards work for me because i can see my progress and i think "oooo if i can just learn 50% of my flashcards for this topic" and then i do it , sit there for like an hour , and then i've learnt 50% of that topic!

it's just about the way to revise - try flashcards , try reading , try reading outloud, try recording yourself saying notes (works very well for my friends) or , like i also do , do a spread at a time with a reward at the end - so if you do notes on this spread and learn all the necessary information , you can have a chocolate bar or something , then rinse and repeat :smile:

Ok, Thank you very much. I shall take this information and start doing something about it. I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
About the flashcards, did you write your own or did you find resources online?
Reply 4
Original post by Harrymoore3105
Im in A2 now, and being in your situation last year, the only thing I can say is that you need to nail these AS levels. I didn't do that great and now I have 15 exams this year. This time in the year, you still have enough time to start revising and still get 4 A's but if you leave it any longer then you've ****ed it, get started and get motivated!

Cheers man! I have already stated but just don't seem to get anything through and i just end up procrastinating, but after being shouted at multiple times hopefully I will start revising properly
Original post by Dylank
Ok, Thank you very much. I shall take this information and start doing something about it. I really appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
About the flashcards, did you write your own or did you find resources online?

i wrote my own :smile: took a long time but well worth it
Reply 6
Original post by hotliketea
i wrote my own :smile: took a long time but well worth it

Ok thanks, I shall get to work making them!
Original post by Dylank
Cheers man! I have already stated but just don't seem to get anything through and i just end up procrastinating, but after being shouted at multiple times hopefully I will start revising properly

Im not really doing any essay based subject apart from economics (maths physics and economics), but for economic Id suggest trying to get some model essays. This year my teacher gave me like 30 + scripts from actual past exams that have scored like almost full marks in the exam, and ive been going through them and highlighting them. For Biology its just a case of doing loads of past papers. The mistake I made last year was just doing past papers and marking them and then calling it a day, but this year Im going back through and with the help of youtube/ teachers actually learning how to do the ones I couldn't do, sounds really patronisingly simple but its probably the most effective way.
Reply 8
Original post by Harrymoore3105
Im not really doing any essay based subject apart from economics (maths physics and economics), but for economic Id suggest trying to get some model essays. This year my teacher gave me like 30 + scripts from actual past exams that have scored like almost full marks in the exam, and ive been going through them and highlighting them. For Biology its just a case of doing loads of past papers. The mistake I made last year was just doing past papers and marking them and then calling it a day, but this year Im going back through and with the help of youtube/ teachers actually learning how to do the ones I couldn't do, sounds really patronisingly simple but its probably the most effective way.

Cool man! Thank you for the help. What else should i do with the past papers because my teacher has given me a booklet of past papers. I am in the process of completing them but is there anything else i should do as well as completing and marking them?
Original post by Dylank
Cool man! Thank you for the help. What else should i do with the past papers because my teacher has given me a booklet of past papers. I am in the process of completing them but is there anything else i should do as well as completing and marking them?

Yeah well doing past papers and marking them is good as long as you go back and learn how to do them. My teacher gave me like 6 maths past papers and then did the written step by step answers stapled to the back. That helped me set out and how to do some of the more difficult questions! Also have a search on youtube if you dont know the answer to a question on a past paper, works for me sometimes (not all the time), but video guides on how to do questions is the best way to learn, its like having a teacher at your house that you can rewind over and over again!
I find that watching videos about a career I may want to do or about University seems to inspire me to want to do well. I usually game every day but I haven't touched a game since the start of the holidays. It's been literally nothing but work and oddly enough, I'm actually enjoying it.

I made a revision timetable with specific topics in each subject that I will focus on. Much better than just saying "I will revise Economics for X hours" and then skipping through the book, not learning anything and wasting time.
Original post by Dylank
I am doing four as-levels and I am finding it really hard to revise or motivate myself. I have tried most things such as 20 minutes of revision and beaks inbetween but just can't seem to do anyhting. I just keep procrastinating! Also I am not doing so great in school either. Can anyone give me any tips. I am stufying Biology, Psychology, English lit and Philosophy & ethics. Any help appreciated!

Ok these are a list of things which potentially could make you start...
. Go bed early/ wake up early - this way you can fit a ton of revision
. Hit the local library, provided you go to the library then you will be in the mindset to work
.Watch exam day vids on youtube, people upload videos of themselves on results day opening their sheets, now imagine your thoughts on the 14th of August, what if you get rubbish grades? one year down the drain
.Try and make a revision timetable it can work wonders if you stick to it
Reply 12
anyone doing AS edexcel unit 2 psychology? 😁
Reply 13
Original post by Dylank

what psycho unit you doing?
Reply 14
Original post by macey90
what psycho unit you doing?

I think I am doing unit 2 but I'm not sure. The topics I am studying are Social and cognitive, and then biological, psychodynamic and learning. Is that Edexcel?
Reply 15
Original post by Dylank
I think I am doing unit 2 but I'm not sure. The topics I am studying are Social and cognitive, and then biological, psychodynamic and learning. Is that Edexcel?

yessss am doing unit2 aka biological paychodynamic n learingggg finally so ure doing unit 1 and unit 2
Reply 16
Original post by macey90
yessss am doing unit2 aka biological paychodynamic n learingggg finally so ure doing unit 1 and unit 2

Yes, It looks like I am doing the same as you. I have completely forgotten everything in cognitive though :'(
Reply 17
Original post by Dylank
Yes, It looks like I am doing the same as you. I have completely forgotten everything in cognitive though :'(

i find unit 1 better than unit 2 neway feel free to discuss whatever u like
Reply 18
Original post by macey90
i find unit 1 better than unit 2 neway feel free to discuss whatever u like

Well, I think that cognitive is really boring and that psycho dynamic is really interesting. How are you going to revise for the key studies?

Quick Reply