The Student Room Group

Plagarism hearing, HELP!

sorted
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I've had it happen to me before. Mine was a group assignment however and it turned out that one of my group mates has copied a bunch of stuff online without commenting out the bits that made it obvious it was plagarism. He didn't own up to it so we all lost a grade for that module. Dickhead. Anyway.

Essentially they'll do the standard trick of getting YOU to be the one to say "It was plagarism" if they ask questions like "So do you admit that this is a form of plagarism" make sure to deny that you committed plagarism. They will ask you questions like "Do you agree that you have plagarised here." Basically they'll be as vague as possible with their questioning to try to catch you out.

If you're plagarism handbook is like ours then all they need from you is a simple "yes its plagarism" and that's it. Case closed, you plagarised in their eyes if you agree to that. Simply deny it again and again and again.

Remember. Its their job, not something they enjoy doing. The quicker you admit to plagarism the quicker they can go back to drinking coffee and doing other **** lecturers do. They don't want to be in that room so they'll try all the quick, vague, questioning first to catch you out.

If you didn't do it. Simply state that you didn't do it every time they ask or vaguely ask about it. Another example:

Them: "This paragraph is very similar to this paragraph found on X/Y website. Would you agree?"

You: "Not in the context of what you are proposing."

Them: "What do you mean? Do you agree or not."

You: "Whilst I agree that these two paragraphs do look similar. Do I agree with the context that you are implying that statement within this meeting. Do those two paragraphs look similar? yes they do. Did I copy, reference or use X paragraph as a template for Y paragraph. No I did not"

Them: "Our plagarism software says otherwise"

You: "Then your software is wrong. I can assure you that Y paragraph was not copied from X paragraph. There is no plagarism case here"
Reply 2
Original post by Knighted
I've had it happen to me before. Mine was a group assignment however and it turned out that one of my group mates has copied a bunch of stuff online without commenting out the bits that made it obvious it was plagarism. He didn't own up to it so we all lost a grade for that module. Dickhead. Anyway.

Essentially they'll do the standard trick of getting YOU to be the one to say "It was plagarism" if they ask questions like "So do you admit that this is a form of plagarism" make sure to deny that you committed plagarism. They will ask you questions like "Do you agree that you have plagarised here." Basically they'll be as vague as possible with their questioning to try to catch you out.

If you're plagarism handbook is like ours then all they need from you is a simple "yes its plagarism" and that's it. Case closed, you plagarised in their eyes if you agree to that. Simply deny it again and again and again.

Remember. Its their job, not something they enjoy doing. The quicker you admit to plagarism the quicker they can go back to drinking coffee and doing other **** lecturers do. They don't want to be in that room so they'll try all the quick, vague, questioning first to catch you out.

If you didn't do it. Simply state that you didn't do it every time they ask or vaguely ask about it. Another example:

Them: "This paragraph is very similar to this paragraph found on X/Y website. Would you agree?"

You: "Not in the context of what you are proposing."

Them: "What do you mean? Do you agree or not."

You: "Whilst I agree that these two paragraphs do look similar. Do I agree with the context that you are implying that statement within this meeting. Do those two paragraphs look similar? yes they do. Did I copy, reference or use X paragraph as a template for Y paragraph. No I did not"

Them: "Our plagarism software says otherwise"

You: "Then your software is wrong. I can assure you that Y paragraph was not copied from X paragraph. There is no plagarism case here"

Gonna memorise that "not in the context of what you are proposing" :biggrin:

I've found out my meeting is with my personal tutor and a senior academic so I know I'm going to end up coming off as a dick to them either way, but c'est la vie.
I'd really recommend that you go and speak to your students union. They'll have an advice service, and one of the function of that advice service is to advise people in situations like yours.

Is it possible that somehow someone else could have copied off you?
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'd really recommend that you go and speak to your students union. They'll have an advice service, and one of the function of that advice service is to advise people in situations like yours.

Is it possible that somehow someone else could have copied off you?

I highly doubt it, I did the assignment alone in my flat at 11pm and submitted it straight after, not talking to anyone during it. I do imagine there'll be overlap with other people's though since there were 250 people summarising the exact same source material.

I'll definitely go see the union!
Original post by SpringNicht
I highly doubt it, I did the assignment alone in my flat at 11pm and submitted it straight after, not talking to anyone during it. I do imagine there'll be overlap with other people's though since there were 250 people summarising the exact same source material.

I'll definitely go see the union!

It's a strange case, but I think Knighted has probably given you some good advice. Don't admit plagiarism, do go and read your course regulations and plagiarism bumf, and go and see your SU.
Reply 6
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Just to update - I got in touch with the union and they sent an advisor with me to the meeting. Turned up, sat down, got handed a turn it in report for a piece of work that wasn't mine! They'd mixed up my candidate number with someone else's.

Bit annoying but at least it's over!

Excellent news! The stress wasn't great, but at least it's all over now :biggrin:
Reply 8
Just to update - I got in touch with the union and they sent an advisor with me to the meeting. Turned up, sat down, got handed a turn it in report for a piece of work that wasn't mine! They'd mixed up my candidate number with someone else's.

glad that it was sorted. they should give you extra credit to compensate for the stress and anxiety they caused.
Reply 9

Classic University. Got to love it.

Mine got "upheld" (likes its a ****ing courtcase) twice.

First because I only got blamed but I informed them that others were involved as it was group work so they "upheld" it to get the others involved.

Secondly because the lecturer that accused us..didn't turn up. Then we got bitched at by my course leader for not turning up with representatives/parents. This is what happened.

Course Leader: Okay so we're upholding this. I'd like to point out that I'm concerned the students involved aren't taking this seriously. None of you have turned up with university representatives. This is a serious meeting where the result could mean no grade.

Me: Are you kidding me? The lecturer who has accused has hasn't turned up. You have no idea where he is. You've left us waiting outside for 2 hours. It's 2 o'clock now, this meeting was meant to start at 12. When we questioned what was happening you simply ignored us. If you want us to take this seriously then take it seriously yourselves as well because currently I'm more embarrassed for you then for ourselves.
Reply 10
I had to do a task previously that was writing a 250 word abstract for a journal article given to us. Summarising is a form of plagarism, I know, but that was the aim of the task in this case, and as we were writing a summary purely for that paper we were not given any chance to reference it.

I got an email today saying that I was getting investigated for a minor case of plagarism for this assignment and have to go to a hearing. I looked up the real abstract for the journal article and mine is completely different, so I'm assuming it's similar to someone else's on my course or that it's the scientific phrases being picked up . The task was timed online and submitted online so they know I did indeed write it and submit it at 11pm so it's unlikely I was sat next to someone doing it and copying or letting them copy. The writing is also very clearly the style I normally write in and I've been told by my tutor it's distinctive.

Have you got any advice? I know I haven't plagarised, but how do I make sure the interviewers realise this too? I only got a 2ii for this, surely if I'd plagarised it'd have come out as a better mark :tongue:

If you didn't do it, you've got nothing to worry about.

I imagine the issue is that both you and some other person have - completely legitimately - taken a few phrases directly from the source material you were given and used them in the abstract. This is NOT plagiarism, its only natural that you would use the same terminology in the abstract that is then repeated in the full paper.

I would ask them to provide evidence of plagiarism. When they show you which phrases are the same, point out that those phrases are the most accurate way of expressing that information and it is inevitable that of a large group of people, many people would have picked to use that particular phrase.

you might wish to highlight the fact that if anything, it is statistically unusual that there were not more cases in which these phrases were used.
Reply 11

Glad it got resolved!

Me and my project partner went through this with dissertations, but it was the same tiny dataset and same project so obviously they were going to be similar - it was the results section that was apparently plagerised! - so stupid. The people in the hearing were like wtf are we doing here? and it got dropped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending