This discussion is closed.
mytinybrain
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I have this stupid nagging problem in my head that I can't seem to find an answer to. It's long and it's complicated so bear with me.

My problem is that I have very little self-belief. This is down to the fact that I'm from a very close family and that I was bullied for 5 years in school because of my weight and my eagerness in class. I've never had any friends - never mind a best friend.

This means that now, whenever I meet people and make friends with them, I find it very hard to keep them as friends because I'm constantly thinking whether or not they like me or want to be my friend.

I'm overly paranoid. Even now I've lost weight since school, I still feel very negatively about my appearance and am never happy with myself when I look in the mirror.

I look at other people in college and work being totally natural and carefree (though this may be a front) and I wish I could just forget all of the paranoia and self-doubt and get on with my life. I'm a 17 year old lad and I already feel as though life has passed me by.

Sometimes I really get fed-up with myself and really detest the person I am. I feel like a social outcast.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
University can be a new start.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I felt like that for a long time, you just have to believe that you are better than the bullies and you will be fine. I still feel down especialy at the moment but things slowly get better.
Cate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You are almost certainly not as bad looking as you think. You are probably a nice person who just has a low self esteem, and need to realise that not everyone will view you in the critical way in which you view yourself.
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mytinybrain)
I have this stupid nagging problem in my head that I can't seem to find an answer to. It's long and it's complicated so bear with me.

My problem is that I have very little self-belief. This is down to the fact that I'm from a very close family and that I was bullied for 5 years in school because of my weight and my eagerness in class. I've never had any friends - never mind a best friend.

This means that now, whenever I meet people and make friends with them, I find it very hard to keep them as friends because I'm constantly thinking whether or not they like me or want to be my friend.

I'm overly paranoid. Even now I've lost weight since school, I still feel very negatively about my appearance and am never happy with myself when I look in the mirror.

I look at other people in college and work being totally natural and carefree (though this may be a front) and I wish I could just forget all of the paranoia and self-doubt and get on with my life. I'm a 17 year old lad and I already feel as though life has passed me by.

Sometimes I really get fed-up with myself and really detest the person I am. I feel like a social outcast.

Thanks.
Welcome to my world mate. I know *exactly* how you feel. I'm working on the problems myself, very slowly. The only advice I can give is to be yourself, and if other people don't like that, then they're not worth it. I have major self-hatred issues, and I can totally relate to all your problems. If you want to talk more, PM me or get in touch via MSN (you can find my address if you click on the little person underneath my post count ).
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eeyore)
Welcome to my world mate. I know *exactly* how you feel. I'm working on the problems myself, very slowly. The only advice I can give is to be yourself, and if other people don't like that, then they're not worth it. I have major self-hatred issues, and I can totally relate to all your problems. If you want to talk more, PM me or get in touch via MSN (you can find my address if you click on the little person underneath my post count ).
Hello Eeyore
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Thanks.
As I don't know your age, this may sound patronising, but it will probably get better in time. The older people get the more open they become, and You'll eventually find that people your age are open enough for you to relax about it.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Hello Eeyore
Hi Wolfy....
TK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
think positive!
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
suicide is the only option...
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
Uncalled for mate.
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not the most helpful comment....!
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This bum who used to go to my school once tried to take his own life. He tried overdosing with painkillers. The thing is, he was so stupid that he didn't take enough, and his mum found him unconscious in the bathroom!
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Uncalled for mate.
only having a jest mate

know what that means?
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The hardest part isnt finding what we need to be, its being content with who we are. Stay who you are.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The hardest part isnt finding what we need to be, its being content with who we are. Stay who you are.
Indeed, and you are (or were) part of mjg's sig. What more do you want?
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ripping off lyrics from a band is not a good idea mate
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Indeed, and you are (or were) part of mjg's sig. What more do you want?
What did it say
mytinybrain
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Save the unrelated stuff for PMing.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Save the unrelated stuff for PMing.
you what
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (167)
19.35%
Labour (438)
50.75%
Liberal Democrats (116)
13.44%
Green Party (48)
5.56%
Brexit Party (13)
1.51%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.46%
SNP (15)
1.74%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.46%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.7%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)