It isn't unrelated.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
"Foster, imasillynarb, maddock, raydenuk and elton john suck!"
Thats brilliant, I honestly dont give a **** and Im glad he doesnt come to the site anymore
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what a legend
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mytinybrain)
I have this stupid nagging problem in my head that I can't seem to find an answer to. It's long and it's complicated so bear with me.

My problem is that I have very little self-belief. This is down to the fact that I'm from a very close family and that I was bullied for 5 years in school because of my weight and my eagerness in class. I've never had any friends - never mind a best friend.

This means that now, whenever I meet people and make friends with them, I find it very hard to keep them as friends because I'm constantly thinking whether or not they like me or want to be my friend.

I'm overly paranoid. Even now I've lost weight since school, I still feel very negatively about my appearance and am never happy with myself when I look in the mirror.

I look at other people in college and work being totally natural and carefree (though this may be a front) and I wish I could just forget all of the paranoia and self-doubt and get on with my life. I'm a 17 year old lad and I already feel as though life has passed me by.

Sometimes I really get fed-up with myself and really detest the person I am. I feel like a social outcast.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I happen to have been in exactly your situation (although bullying only to a minor extent). I had huge weight problems and I still do, although I have progressed sigifcantly toward becoming 'normal'.

As much as I may not appear to be on this forum, i'm not hugely self-confident and check myself in the mirror all the time because I want to 'look good' and not be fat -> which although i'm a 'large' clothing size which isn't *terrible* I have issues about how I appear to others, how they perceive me, if I can be accepted as 'alright' looking. I hate myself for doing it, because it is pure vainty but having the sly remarks to you and then losing weight to get rid of them just heightens the problems because you never feel satisfied.

My negative look on my apperance because of current (and pervious) problems with being fat has caused other issues in my life. However, I often have to tell myself firstly I will lose the remaining weight (and I damn well better the amount of exercise I do!!) and also, and I think this applys to you also that although everything may be weighing down on your shoulders at least you are alive, at least you have some friends (regardless of what they *really* think of you) and you have a whole new life to lead when you get to university - that is what keeps me going the fact that I have the world at my fingertips and the fact I am here to grasp that opportunity

Regards,
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
"Things...Can only get better...Can only get better...Now I've found you...(things can only get better...) - Celebratory Song Of The Labour Party After 1997 Election Victory.

Blair and that other guy was tapping their shoes to the beat of this song!
DAMN RIGHT !!!! *jumps + downloads* (too much coke)
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have this stupid nagging problem in my head that I can't seem to find an answer to. It's long and it's complicated so bear with me.

My problem is that I have very little self-belief. This is down to the fact that I'm from a very close family and that I was bullied for 5 years in school because of my weight and my eagerness in class. I've never had any friends - never mind a best friend.

This means that now, whenever I meet people and make friends with them, I find it very hard to keep them as friends because I'm constantly thinking whether or not they like me or want to be my friend.

I'm overly paranoid. Even now I've lost weight since school, I still feel very negatively about my appearance and am never happy with myself when I look in the mirror.

I look at other people in college and work being totally natural and carefree (though this may be a front) and I wish I could just forget all of the paranoia and self-doubt and get on with my life. I'm a 17 year old lad and I already feel as though life has passed me by.

Sometimes I really get fed-up with myself and really detest the person I am. I feel like a social outcast.

Thanks.
In all seriousness, everyone has insecurities and I doubt there are many people in the world who are truely happy with the way they look. When I first started school I used to be bullied for being so eager as well, I soon changed my ways and became a bum who did no work.

Self belief, well, other people wont be putting on a front, but they just simply care less about the way they look/are more happy with themselves than you are. Look at it this way, even if youre fat and ugly - you can still be liked by people.
mytinybrain
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I don't think it's natural for a guy to be feeling like this. Sometimes I have to tell myself to stop being such a girl. Lads shouldn't be as paranoid as me ...
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't think it's natural for a guy to be feeling like this. Sometimes I have to tell myself to stop being such a girl. Lads shouldn't be as paranoid as me ...
he's behind you

what are the voices saying

they are all out to get you
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Everyone does it, guys as well. Infact Id say alot of guys care more about how they look than girls these days.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
he's behind you

what are the voices saying

they are all out to get you
So understanding... and yet making me laugh. Especially the suicide comment that was bloody genius. Perfectly weighted and everything.

I can't really give any advice to be honest. I'm in a pretty similar situation, similar levels of paranoia, I here people laughing in the street and I think they're laughing at me. All I can say is what gets me through - my family would be devestated if anything ever happened to me. University, as has been said, will be a new start for me which I hope to make the most of. Also I keep coming up with impossible dreams, or at least ons that will be very hard to attain, so I always have something to strive towards, I always want to see if I can make them, and it gives me purpose when I get out of bed in the morning.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
So understanding... and yet making me laugh. Especially the suicide comment that was bloody genius. Perfectly weighted and everything.

I can't really give any advice to be honest. I'm in a pretty similar situation, similar levels of paranoia, I here people laughing in the street and I think they're laughing at me. All I can say is what gets me through - my family would be devestated if anything ever happened to me. University, as has been said, will be a new start for me which I hope to make the most of. Also I keep coming up with impossible dreams, or at least ons that will be very hard to attain, so I always have something to strive towards, I always want to see if I can make them, and it gives me purpose when I get out of bed in the morning.
if that was sarcasm it was ****
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if that was sarcasm it was ****
No, it was sincere! Seriously! I'm not sure how I can prove it, but all the comments were really depressing, and then I just saw "Suicide is the only option..." and I nearly pissed myself. The other comments were less funny, but still managed a giggle.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, it was sincere! Seriously! I'm not sure how I can prove it, but all the comments were really depressing, and then I just saw "Suicide is the only option..." and I nearly pissed myself. The other comments were less funny, but still managed a giggle.

i can never tell sarcasm over the internet

thats why it always seems **** :cool:
imasillynarb3
Report 15 years ago
When i'm at school i always seem over eager, some would call me a boff, some would call me a brown noser but i like school work. i always try hard in school and all i get is slated and beaten by the other students i know how you feel.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought you were slating him for being tasteless, sort it out mate!
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb3)
When i'm at school i always seem over eager, some would call me a boff, some would call me a brown noser but i like school work. i always try hard in school and all i get is slated and beaten by the other students i know how you feel.
**** off and die

or i'll beat you again
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
**** off and die

or i'll beat you again
what is a narb :confused:
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
I thought you were slating him for being tasteless, sort it out mate!
Yeah, it was tasteless, but the funniest jokes are.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Thanks.
Do you wear glasses? If so, then perhaps a local trip to specsavers may help.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (118)
19.7%
Labour (302)
50.42%
Liberal Democrats (79)
13.19%
Green Party (30)
5.01%
Brexit Party (7)
1.17%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.5%
SNP (13)
2.17%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)