The Student Room Group

2014’s Top 20 Degrees most likely to leave you on jobseekers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by clh_hilary
No, that's not true. The way they (or at least, KPMG) work is that all the lower-level staff are responsible for bits of every report they are paid to do. So both high and low profile ones. Then the senior members of the team, and higher level members (they call them very differently in different firms) will double or triple check them. This is why the higher level ones are likely to be required to have been certified, otherwise they will not be able to approve those reports.

But no, the junior members of staff are responsible for everything. No exception.

Although if you say 'trainee', that would be quite different. You hardly get to calculate anything as a trainee, and you definitely do not need to be certified to cease becoming a trainee. My memory may have failed me, but as I recall you can at least work for 2-4 years without being certified. And of course, if you do not work in the Big Four, your firm/company is likely to not want you to get certified ever.

I'm pretty sure that accountancy training contracts are of a fixed term of 3 years, hence 'contract', much like legal ones are always 2. You get kicked off if you fail any of your modules, in theory, at least. I'm not sure how strict they are, in practice.
Reply 41
Unless you are extremely lucky, it will be very difficult to find a job once you graduate with one of these degrees. The key thing here, as with any degree, is experience. Almost every job these days requires some form of work experience, and often the case is that employers don't even look at your degree, the main thing they want is the experience!

You just have to ensure you work/get internships during your degree. And I don't mean retail/coffee shop jobs, I mean experience that will be relevant to the field of work you want to go into once you graduate.

I see too many people skating through university thinking they'll easily get a job at the end, that is not the case!!! I know people who have computer science degrees, and are now sitting at home desperate for a job. Every field requires experience, regardless of whether your degree is STEM or arts.
Original post by Iridescenzo
I'm pretty sure that accountancy training contracts are of a fixed term of 3 years, hence 'contract', much like legal ones are always 2. You get kicked off if you fail any of your modules, in theory, at least. I'm not sure how strict they are, in practice.

But you may not be called a 'trainee'. You are likely to be called an 'Associate' or an 'Accountant'. I believe KPMG is the latter, whilst the other three use the former.

Technically yes. But you can retake your module. If they need people, which they obviously don't in the UK, they can allow you to stay at that level of salary for you to retake them for several times.

Practically it doesn't concern the firms much if you do fail actually, unless everybody is. They expect most everybody to quit before they can get close to being a partner otherwise their model cannot stand. And when they need to fire people, they like to fire the middle-management people because they don't provide any special kind of work but cost a lot more than a fresh graduate.

I suppose this is the exact reason why they do school-leaver programmes.
Reply 43
But you may not be called a 'trainee'. You are likely to be called an 'Associate' or an 'Accountant'. I believe KPMG is the latter, whilst the other three use the former.

Technically yes. But you can retake your module. If they need people, which they obviously don't in the UK, they can allow you to stay at that level of salary for you to retake them for several times.

Practically it doesn't concern the firms much if you do fail actually, unless everybody is. They expect most everybody to quit before they can get close to being a partner otherwise their model cannot stand. And when they need to fire people, they like to fire the middle-management people because they don't provide any special kind of work but cost a lot more than a fresh graduate.

I suppose this is the exact reason why they do school-leaver programmes.

I think 27k is about the mean starting salary for Big 4 graduate intakes. People leave to do all sorts of things, but, from what I hear, a large portion of them end up going back. Many others go to practise in their home towns or with regional firms. I know that I'll probably end up at a regional legal firm, if I ever get that far. London doesn't really interest me.
I think 27k is about the mean starting salary for Big 4 graduate intakes. People leave to do all sorts of things, but, from what I hear, a large portion of them end up going back. Many others go to practise in their home towns or with regional firms. I know that I'll probably end up at a regional legal firm, if I ever get that far. London doesn't really interest me.

I don't know but I do believe it would not be easy to just switch a career as an account who had been doing it for a couple of years. It's not versatile or transferable.

And of course, if you are certified, life would be much easier for you in a regional firm (as I heard).
Reply 45
I'm surprised to see primary education there. But other than that, everything's expected.

Yeah I'm the same, I thought people on vocational courses were pretty much set and teachers are in demand :s-smilie:
Reply 46
I'm pretty sure that list is... not entirely accurate.

If you get the stats from a renowned source, here, which while it's for 2011/2012 shows computer science to be far ahead in the unemployed percentage at 14%.
Reply 47
Well thank god I didn't take any of those degrees.
Original post by redferry
Yeah I'm the same, I thought people on vocational courses were pretty much set and teachers are in demand :s-smilie:

Perhaps not primary then.
Reply 49
Perhaps not primary then.

I guess maybe it is not the preferred route and people that have taken other degrees then PGCEs preferentially get given the jobs.
Original post by WorldPharmacist
I found a website that shows the top 20 degrees that are less likely to get you a job after 6 months. They are:

http://www.hellou.com/2014/03/2014s-top-20-degrees-likely-leave-jobseekers-3313/2/

I was absolutely shocked to see some of the subjects listed :O I thought subjects like history and English literature were well respected by employers :/

What do you guys think of this list?
Anyone here doing any of the subjects listed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

FWIW - the title of this is very misleading.

Their source if the Guardian University Guide 2014. which was published in May 2013 and was using this as their source http://www.hesa.ac.uk/component/option,com_pubs/Itemid,286/task,show_year/pubId,1708/versionId,36/yearId,274/ "Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Institutions 2010/11".

So this doesn't show ANYTHING about 2014 jobseekers - it shows the graduates from 2010/11 who were unemployed in January 2012.
I guess maybe it is not the preferred route and people that have taken other degrees then PGCEs preferentially get given the jobs.

But why would a BA+PGCE be better by default?
Reply 52

Better depth of knowledge of the topic they plan to teach? I imagine this is more crucial for secondary teaching.
Better depth of knowledge of the topic they plan to teach? I imagine this is more crucial for secondary teaching.

Do they not have majors in primary education degrees in Britain? I really have no idea.
Reply 54
Do they not have majors in primary education degrees in Britain? I really have no idea.

I don't think there's an alternative route to having a Bachelor's.
Reply 55

Don't know but it would appear they are more employable would it not?
Don't know but it would appear they are more employable would it not?

If you do a BEd from the get-go, you may appear to have been more committed, instead of thinking teaching as a second thought.

But that obviously has to be combined with several other factors: Which university you go to, what your grades are, what experiences you have, etc.
Reply 57
If you do a BEd from the get-go, you may appear to have been more committed, instead of thinking teaching as a second thought.

But that obviously has to be combined with several other factors: Which university you go to, what your grades are, what experiences you have, etc.

Everyone I know who did a PGCE now has a job. I know it's anecdotal but there doesn't seem to be any issues with doing a PGCE then going into primary teaching
Reply 58
I wouldn't be so quick to disregard it. In many ways, I think taxation sounds quite interesting. The general consensus is that audit is soul-destroying, though. I know it's not a 'profession' in the same way that law, the clergy, and medicine are, but it's still a very respectable career. To be fair, people do make like £100k after finishing their training contracts with London firms.

Ironically, accountancy, law and surgery are the traditional non-graduate professions, unlike taking up the cloth.
Reply 59
Original post by alow
I'm not that surprised, it seems like there are absolutely loads of people doing it, there obviously isn't enough jobs in schools for them to go into. There should be a cap on the number of teachers trained like there is for medicine, so we don't train too many every year.

We have a massive deficit in teaching and nursing so a cap would be disastrous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending