The Student Room Group

2014’s Top 20 Degrees most likely to leave you on jobseekers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by polscistudent88
Economics and psychology in the same vein? :confused:

No, they are not. Unless you refer to the application of psychological studies in fields like behavioral economics, which is one of the many and very diverse fields of study that would fall under the economics umbrella (and anyways, it would be like saying that maths = economics just because there are applications of maths in economics, as in other social sciences).

They're both social sciences and that there is a field of behavioral economics which has some elements of psychology.
Original post by clh_hilary
I'm surprised to see primary education there. But other than that, everything's expected.

That's because the main problem with that list is due to over-subscription, rather than an issue with the degree itself (apart from a few). For example, psychology, history, and primary education, not bad degrees to have but are way too popular.

The amount of postgrads available for psychology are extremely low compared to the amount of undergraduates. That leaves a lot of students wanting to be clinical psychologists etc feeling very disappointed.

Also, the amount of people who do the likes of Psychology and English lit at low universities just for the sake of having a degree is unbelievable.
Original post by SecretDuck
Oh right, thank you :smile:
Always wondered as both subjects are social sciences. I think psychology anyway does help with some parts of economics though.

Yeah it has made me understand some of the economic frameworks based on social theory.
It has also taught me a fair bit about manipulation which can be used by corporations or governments etc. which is quite interesting stuff.
Reply 163
Original post by MichelBraga
Ignorance is everywhere, that experience doesn't tell anything about Geography degrees. I don't know where you live, but assuming she's from Europe, her lack of knowledge about Sierra Leone could be just a reflex of the euro-centric vision of the world. And that's not exclusive to Geography students.

At my university, the Geography students are highly regarded as the most open-minded and experienced graduates, quickly finding a (good) job after graduation (I'm not from UK). This is all very relative, every single subject has its role..

Which uni are you at if you don't mind saying? I've applied to study geography :smile:
Original post by WorldPharmacist
I found a website that shows the top 20 degrees that are less likely to get you a job after 6 months. They are:

20. Psychology.

19. Religious studies and theology

18. Music

17. Sport & Business Management

16. English Lit

15. Advertisement

14. Business Management

13. English Language

12. Sociology

11. Events Management

10. Accountancy

9. Film Studies

8.Ancient History

7. Media Studies

6. Primary Education

5. French

4. History

3. Criminology

2. Sport Science

1. Geography (With an Employment after 6 months as low as 36%)

http://www.hellou.com/2014/03/2014s-top-20-degrees-likely-leave-jobseekers-3313/2/

I was absolutely shocked to see some of the subjects listed :O I thought subjects like history and English literature were well respected by employers :/

What do you guys think of this list?
Anyone here doing any of the subjects listed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I want to do French with Arabic. Languages degrees are sought after by over fifty percent of employers, so I don't know where they got the idea about French from.
Original post by It'sIrrelevant
Yeah, I want to do French with Arabic. Languages degrees are sought after by over fifty percent of employers, so I don't know where they got the idea about French from.

Generally you are right, languages are highly looked upon, but what kind of employment?

I know a few language graduates who work in foreign language call centres. It pays marginally better than the English only job I had in one, but not enough to study it, since you can be fluent in a language without a degree.

Arabic will be more useful than French for employment, I'd say. To get a well paid job you would also need a lot more to your CV in your chosen sector. I would get paid a lot more money in my sector (homelessness) for speaking Arabic than I would French, since we have only ever had one Belgian national, but countless Arabic speakers over the years declaring themselves homeless with poor English skills, even if Arabic itself isnt their first language. And again, I'd not get the job without having a good CV!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamesyC
Generally you are right, languages are highly looked upon, but what kind of employment?

I know a few language graduates who work in foreign language call centres. It pays marginally better than the English only job I had in one, but not enough to study it, since you can be fluent in a language without a degree.

Arabic will be more useful than French for employment, I'd say. To get a well paid job you would also need a lot more to your CV in your chosen sector. I would get paid a lot more money in my sector (homelessness) for speaking Arabic than I would French, since we have only ever had one Belgian national, but countless Arabic speakers over the years declaring themselves homeless with poor English skills, even if Arabic itself isnt their first language. And again, I'd not get the job without having a good CV!

I just want to study it because it's interesting, then probably work for Amnesty UK, so a degree would be pretty necessary
I just want to study it because it's interesting, then probably work for Amnesty UK, so a degree would be pretty necessary

Definitely useful, so go for it. You should look into conflict studies as well on the side. What do you want to do at Amnesty? Do they observe abroad or is that a wider Amnesty?

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that a lot of the language grads I know wanted to go into business, but the language degree didn't build up their credentials enough, so end up taking whatever job they can find where they can use their skills and get trapped.
Original post by JamesyC
Definitely useful, so go for it. You should look into conflict studies as well on the side. What do you want to do at Amnesty? Do they observe abroad or is that a wider Amnesty?

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that a lot of the language grads I know wanted to go into business, but the language degree didn't build up their credentials enough, so end up taking whatever job they can find where they can use their skills and get trapped.

Yeah, lots of language degrees are geared towards "Business" French/ Spanish. I'm debating between French or Spanish with Arabic, as I want to work with immigrants (human rights, discrimination etc.), but I know a lot of people in my classes are applying for courses in Business French/ Spanish
Yeah, lots of language degrees are geared towards "Business" French/ Spanish. I'm debating between French or Spanish with Arabic, as I want to work with immigrants (human rights, discrimination etc.), but I know a lot of people in my classes are applying for courses in Business French/ Spanish

I've worked with a lot of homeless immigrants in my job and French would be a very useful language for me to know. Arabic is a no brainer. Polish or Russian would be useful as well because a lot of different Eastern Europeans learn them at school.
Does not surprise me, makes me laugh that many of the traditional subjects secondary schools prize so highly are also the most useless/unemployable. Shame that they are messing so many students up in life by leading them up the garden path. Most of those on the list are great interest subjects though, but that's pretty much all they are and some people get carried away thinking they are more than that. As someone mentioned if someone with direct skills/qualifications applies for a job they will go for that person first over English lit, History grad. Also shows that Accountancy is not the easy answer to employment some people tout it to be. Too many humanities, languages, English and social science grads I think, probably too many grads in general, too high a population in general.
Original post by Stewie2011
Does not surprise me, makes me laugh that many of the traditional subjects secondary schools prize so highly are also the most useless/unemployable. Shame that they are messing so many students up in life by leading them up the garden path. Most of those on the list are great interest subjects though, but that's pretty much all they are and some people get carried away thinking they are more than that. As someone mentioned if someone with direct skills/qualifications applies for a job they will go for that person first over English lit, History grad. Also shows that Accountancy is not the easy answer to employment some people tout it to be. Too many humanities, languages, English and social science grads I think, probably too many grads in general, too high a population in general.

Sort of agree.

I don't think there are too many social science, language, etc grads. I think there are too many of them who believe (or been told..) that going to university is going to fill them with the knowledge they require for work.

In reality, University is only the very first step in your career, whatever the degree you decide to take, they all have worth and value in many aspects of life, but they should never be enough to get you a comfortable job. That goes for social work students, trainee teachers, software programmers, social researchers. etc. especially social work students

The reality: too many people banking on graduate jobs, which are essentially pish in the first place. Need more students working in the real world, away from the safety blankets of graduate jobs.
(edited 9 years ago)

I guess it's because French is a language in serious decline.
Original post by navarre
I guess it's because French is a language in serious decline.

But it's spoken in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas, and it's one of the languages of the EU and the UN
But it's spoken in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas, and it's one of the languages of the EU and the UN

It's barely spoken in Asia at all- maybe there's still a couple of elderly folk in Vietnam who speak it. As for Europe and the EU, fewer and fewer discussions and documents are translated into French. It's also not really spoken in the Americas outside of Quebec and some small Caribbean islands. It's only a language of the UN for historical reasons.

Don't get me wrong; it's still a useful language if you're planning to involve France, southern Belgium or Quebec in your future. It's just that supply far outstrips demand.
Original post by navarre
It's barely spoken in Asia at all- maybe there's still a couple of elderly folk in Vietnam who speak it. As for Europe and the EU, fewer and fewer discussions and documents are translated into French. It's also not really spoken in the Americas outside of Quebec and some small Caribbean islands. It's only a language of the UN for historical reasons.

Don't get me wrong; it's still a useful language if you're planning to involve France, southern Belgium or Quebec in your future. It's just that supply far outstrips demand.

Well, the main reason is personal interest. I want eventually do a PhD, after an MA in some aspect of French culture, history or language.

Also, it's one of the sought-after languages for employment in the EU and the UN.
Original post by Vibenation
Hi everyone. Whats all your opinion on IT and Computing based degrees. Would you consider that useless or useful degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

useful ins o far as you get skills but jobs are severely lacking
Why is English Lit and History on the list? Yes they don't provide you guaranteed employment but you develop skills that you may not gain whilst doing experience if you choose the non-university route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending