Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Today I firmed my place at Nottingham to take Animal Science. I just wanted to start a thread to discuss, get general advice and testimonials etc about Animal Science / life on the Sutton Bonington Campus. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm just finishing my final year studying Animal Science at SB, so I'm happy to answer any questions people might have about anything to do with the campus or the course.
    And no, this isn't just a way to distract me from my dissertation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firejasmine)
    Hello! I'm just finishing my final year studying Animal Science at SB, so I'm happy to answer any questions people might have about anything to do with the campus or the course.
    And no, this isn't just a way to distract me from my dissertation!
    Also firmed Animal Science at Nottingham today just a general question to start with, what is it like on Sutton Bonington campus being so far away from the main campus and the city? Is that a problem at all? Also on the UCAS visit day all the students kept going on about the atmosphere and community spirit at SB, is it really as great as they were saying?

ReputationRep:
    Short answer - yes for the community spirit. We're really like our own little university within Nottingham. In first year you'll share lectures with pretty much all the Biosciences freshers and that sense of community lasts through your whole degree. It's small enough that you'll start to recognise a lot of people in a very short amount of time, and it lets everyone be really friendly.
    It depends on what you mean by 'is it a problem'. You won't see many UP students outside of the Fresher's nights unless you go into Nottingham on nights out a lot or have lectures on UP (which you won't for Animal Science in first year). The Hopper Bus is generally reliable for getting you to UP during the week and then also the centre at the weekend. The 34 bus is only £1 as well and that runs you right from UP to the centre. Nights-out wise, you're looking at a taxi back to SB.
    And there's a definite divide between SB students and UP students. We're the subject of much banter. :P

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fantastic!! (Apart from the taxi thing, that sounds expensive) how about the course itself, they said the first year is mainly a recap on A-level biology and also a grounding in the more in-depth concepts of biology. Is that stuff still interesting (for someone who found biology A-level interesting)? Also do you actually get much time interacting with the animals on the farm at all in the course? I know you won't get nearly as much as the vet people but it still would be nice to have some interaction with them since it is an ANIMAL science degree

ReputationRep:
    There's a special offer for SB students with pre-booked Village Cars, Nottingham to SB for £17. But generally, haggling and sharing black cabs can get the price down a bit. It's not that big of a deal most of the time. And for uni-wide events, especially Fresher's Week, the uni put on buses to take everyone back to SB.
    First year is definitely a recap on A-Level stuff and the basic stuff you need for the course, but it's still interesting to have it taught in a different setting and it goes slightly above A-Level at times. The Nutrition stuff was interesting and has definitely come in useful in second and third years! There's also a considerable amount of general biology and plant science (a particular bugbear with Animal Scientists, but we have to do it).
    Animal interaction is 0 in the first year, unless you do some outside volunteering. You might get a visit to the dairy unit if you're lucky. 2nd year is better - if you take the Applied Animal Science module, you get a trip to a pig farm, sheep farm, the uni dairy unit and the abattoir on campus. Third year is better if your dissertation requires some animal studies, and a visit to Twycross Zoo if you take Companion Animal Science. Otherwise, it's very much lecture-based with lab practicals.
    But that can change depending on the modules you take, and some others might have more animal interactions than what I've experienced!

ReputationRep:
    Scratch that - it's DG cars that do the special offer. I'm never the one to organise taxis!

ReputationRep:
    Ah that doesn't sound too bad then actually, just as long as I stay as part of a group when going out First year sounds pretty interesting then (apart from plant science, euughh!) and that's not bad for animal interaction, as long as I take the right modules. Third year sounds like the time where the most animal handling happens then, and visiting the local zoo sounds great! I heard they have some projects for students to do in the third year, what kinds of projects are those? If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing your dissertation on? And what modules did you take for 2nd and 3rd year? Sorry about the amount of questions :/ just great to talk to someone who has been on the course for 3 years

ReputationRep:
    It's alright, that's what I'm on here for.
    Projects/dissertation are really on whatever you want it to be. In second year you'll take RETAPAS as a module (i cba to look up what it stood for) where you'll get to put down what you're interested in and be pointed towards a member of staff for that kind of area. With them, you'll get told of the opportunities coming up and what your limits are for your dissertation. I know people who are doing sheep breeding, meat quality, deer nutrition, pet psychology and loads of other things.
    Mine's on rumination and health in dairy cows.
    Modules for 2nd year: Applied Animal Science, Neurophysiology, Endocrinology I and II, Biochemistry I and II, Principles of Animal Nutrition, Reproductive Physiology, Practical Animal Physiology and Animal Behaviour.
    3rd Year: Companion Animal Science, Animal Nutrition, Livestock Production Science, Molecular Nutrition and Reproduction and Fertility.
    So you get a good spread of general biology. The ones I've bolded were the ones I had a choice for, and other choices were things like Bioethics, Embryology and more lab-based modules. I just like Nutrition so my choices were focused around that to get the accreditation.

ReputationRep:
    Third year sounds really interesting! 2nd year modules sound great too, the ones where you don't have a choice really interest me which is great and the ones where you do get a choice it seems like you can focus quite a bit on animal behaviour and stuff like that. I wanted to be a vet before so I'm slightly less interested in the nutrition side of things, but from what I can tell you can get a really diverse degree out of this what career are you hoping to go into?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say there's a massive amount of content on Animal Behaviour or pets, but it does get better as you go on. Animal Behaviour in 2nd year is actually a module with Zoology students on UP so that's pretty fun.
    But yes, depending on your interests and choices you can really take this in a lot of directions! Two girls in my class just got into vet school so it can definitely lead you onto that if it's what you want to do.
    I'm looking to go into dairy nutrition, hence my dissertation subject and general module choices. They'll definitely try and sell you on the nutrition side of things, because SB's kind of known in the industry for producing good graduates with that kind of knowledge. :P

ReputationRep:
    oooh sounds fun having a module on UP! Definitely spice things up a bit for second year Yeah I spoke to a guy in second year when I came for the open day that said he was in the same position as me when he first started but then really got into the nutrition side of things so I might be swayed!
    Now, the course is obviously very girl-dominated and that was obvious on the open day I went to (at most 5 guys). What is the buy/girl ratio like on the course and also on the campus itself? The other courses taught on SB seem mostly girl-dominated type courses and I was just wondering what the kind of ratio was or just how many boys compared with girls are in your year and the lower ones?

ReputationRep:
    You're right, Animal Science is very girl dominated. Probably about 80% female in my year and it's pretty similar in others. On campus it's closer to 60% as the Agrics are mostly male and you get a lot of male vets.
    Generally, there's going to be more girls than guys. But don't be put off, there's no divide between the genders. Everyone's got similar degrees so everyone kind of mills together.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't worry I'm not put off I'd much rather this than doing something like engineering which is almost all guys (which is what a lot of my friends are doing!). I'm sure I'll cope being surrounded by loads of girls that's also quite nice that the campus is more balanced so I can have a decent number of guy friends as well. Oh, this would be like 2 years back for you probably but what is the accommodation on SB like? I was taken round the halls in the open day but only got to see the en-suite rooms (I've applied for standard en-suite as my first choice) and they looked nice, not huge but big enough for me. Just wandering what it's like to actually live there for a year? Also what's the part-catered aspect like? Is it good food and is annoying to have to go and have food and specific times?

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually living on SB this year so I can definitely answer that well. :P
    The halls are really nice compared to other unis around the country. The maintenance men are lovely and will fix anything for you, no questions asked. The standard ensuites are much bigger rooms than you'd get at other unis too - but you do get what you pay for, it's not cheap! Living here's great because everything's in walking distance. You can roll out of bed at 8:45am and still be on time for lectures, which is great for someone lazy like me. And you're always around people doing similar degrees, lecturers are close by for meetings. The only thing that surprised me was the planes, which they never put in the prospectuses, but you get used to them after a couple of weeks.
    Part-catered is pretty good. The food's not spectacular but it's edible and it's best at the start of the year. The evening meal's not particularly annoying - just one meal every weekday that every other first year goes to as well. You'll always find someone to go and eat with, and you get about an hour and a half of time to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    The proximity of the halls to the lecture theatres was something that I loved the look of as well! I would definitely just roll out of bed at the last possible minute and run to my lectures hmm yes they didn't mention anything about any planes so that's clearly something they try and keep under wraps until you get there, I'm sure I'll get used to it though. I really like the idea of part-catered, it's the middle ground between being independent and making your own stuff and having those social meals where you don't have to make it yourself
    What is freshers week like on SB? And just going out in the evenings generally? I guess it's pretty different from UP but do you get to go to many of the events in the city that the rest of the Nottingham students go to or is it mainly SB-specific things?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, surely you heard them coming over at the open day though? We're right on the flight path for East Midlands Airport. Great for plane-spotters, it just deafens you if there's a particularly low one and you're outside. :P
    Freshers Week at SB is exactly the same as for UP - you'll get the opportunity to go to the same club nights and there'll be buses put on to get you there and back, and you can go to the UP Freshers Fair as well as the SB one.
    If you don't fancy those nights out (or don't get tickets in time), there's something on every night at the SB bar in Freshers' Week for the returners. You'll be able to go to those if you'd rather. There's the TOWIE party (where traditionally girls dress masculine and guys feminine - make some friends of the opposite sex so you can borrow things :P), the Ceilidh, Rumble in the Jungle, and Headbangers are a few. Always fun.

ReputationRep:
    Headbangers sounds like my kind of party!! Actually I only recall seeing/hearing one plane on the open day and that wasn't very loud so didn't think anything of it :/ Oh ok that sounds good then, especially with the buses and it's nice that you can just hang around SB for 1 or 2 nights and still be social What is Nottingham like as a city? I visited and it seemed lovely and also pretty huge! Oh and also what are the societies like at SB? IS it difficult if you want to do a couple of societies based in the UP campus?

ReputationRep:
    Aside from planes, the one other thing that surprises people is the phone signal. Get Vodafone if you can because I've heard that most other networks are pretty limited!
    Nottingham's a pretty nice city, it's got good transport links, good shopping, lots of venues for music, a theatre, comedy club and plenty of nightclubs and bars. So pretty much anything you want to do, Notts has it. There's a lovely Christmas market as well!
    At SB we've got some fantastic societies, plenty of variety and they're restarting SB Players (drama) this year so it'll be up and running by the time you get here. We're very proud of our rugby teams and have most other sports as well (footy, netball, hockey, squash, lacrosse, badminton etc). Then there's societies like SBABES (cycling), Shooting, Alternative Arts, Music, Agrics, Animal Science. I think we've got a good little community of our own. I don't actually know anyone who goes to societies on UP, but you could probably do it just relying on the Hopper Bus. c:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'm on EE which seemed to have an ok signal when I was at the open day. I also love Orange Wednesdays so I might just keep with them and put up with a bit of a rubbish signal :/ Yeah one thing I really liked when I looked round the City was the TRAM!! I don't don't know why but I think trams are pretty damn cool Seems like a great place to live The one sport I really like and am good at is swimming and I was told there's not a swimming pool on SB but one over at UP so I guess I'll have to get the hopper bus every time I want to swim :/ Is there a lot of music concerts and stuff like that? I play guitar so it would be great if there were lots of concerts and things to take part in!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.