The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Animal Science / Sutton Bonington

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The studying abroad opportunity is so great - annoyingly I'm going to be doing the MNutr Dietetics course so I can't do it but it sounds amazing!
Any tips on things to bring for freshers week? :biggrin: I'm guessing fancy dress is a must? Any recurring themes? Can't wait to get started ^_^
Any dieticians able to give me an idea of what the first year timetable is like? :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Absolutely fancy dress! Rumble in the Jungle, if not in Fresher's week, will be sometime during the term so bring face paint/animal onesies/explorer kit. SB also has the TOWIE party (it was the Sex Change ball, but for obvious reasons changed name), and males traditionally go as females and females as males. So make guy and girl friends so you can steal wardrobes!
Reply 62
Original post by ajarman
The studying abroad opportunity is so great - annoyingly I'm going to be doing the MNutr Dietetics course so I can't do it but it sounds amazing!
Any tips on things to bring for freshers week? :biggrin: I'm guessing fancy dress is a must? Any recurring themes? Can't wait to get started ^_^
Any dieticians able to give me an idea of what the first year timetable is like? :smile:

Fancy Dress is definitely a must! If you go on Takeaway Costumes they have the top ten most popular themes and you can choose five in a box for £25.
Wish I'd had it when I was a fresher - I spent loads! :smile:
Reply 63
Thanks so much firejasmine and maddiexx :biggrin: you've been so helpful! I will definitely look on that website and a jungley costume will definitely be going in the box :biggrin: I am so excited. Goodness me. Any other general tips for SB life? :smile:
Nothing that hasn't been said already in the thread. Just embrace the community atmosphere, it's something really special!
Original post by firejasmine
You're right, Animal Science is very girl dominated. Probably about 80% female in my year and it's pretty similar in others. On campus it's closer to 60% as the Agrics are mostly male and you get a lot of male vets.
Generally, there's going to be more girls than guys. But don't be put off, there's no divide between the genders. Everyone's got similar degrees so everyone kind of mills together. :smile:

More girls than boys daaaaaaaaammmm I picked the wrong course on Sutton bonington but is most of Sutton girls than boys (Please say yes please say yes)
Absolutely fancy dress! Rumble in the Jungle, if not in Fresher's week, will be sometime during the term so bring face paint/animal onesies/explorer kit. SB also has the TOWIE party (it was the Sex Change ball, but for obvious reasons changed name), and males traditionally go as females and females as males. So make guy and girl friends so you can steal wardrobes!

Is there a good fancy dress shop in Nottingham I can get stuff at during freshers week? I don't own any fancy dress stuff at the moment so is there one or more shops that will provide everything I could need for fancy dress nights? At a cheap price?
It's probably about 60% female, student-wise, on SB. You get a good mix with all the different courses.
And there's a fancy dress shop just opened this past year at the top of Lenton in Nottingham, and I'm told it's cheap and covers all the basic needs for Freshers!
It's probably about 60% female, student-wise, on SB. You get a good mix with all the different courses.
And there's a fancy dress shop just opened this past year at the top of Lenton in Nottingham, and I'm told it's cheap and covers all the basic needs for Freshers!

ooooo thanks that's goo to know! Can you give me the best things about living at Sutton bonington! I am getting excited and I wanted to know more! I now about the last night where everyone stays up all night and then there's a picture being taken. and all of the formal events
Original post by chemistrykid123
ooooo thanks that's goo to know! Can you give me the best things about living at Sutton bonington! I am getting excited and I wanted to know more! I now about the last night where everyone stays up all night and then there's a picture being taken. and all of the formal events

The community spirit is probably the best thing, you'll get to know people on your course and other courses really easily and be recognising people a lot. The Guild do lots of activities and really listen to the students on campus. And of course, it's just such a lovely environment to be in! But this is coming from a farming girl who's used to greenery, I don't know how a city person would feel being out in the country. :P
That's the Summer Ball, it was a couple of weeks ago! They usually have a funfair too and those that make it to 6am get to be in the Survivor's photo and get a free breakfast. Other events are things like the Dining Ins, which are formal dinners for things like Christmas and Valentines and St Patrick's Day. Then there's parties in the bar pretty regularly, Societies Ball, Rugby Matches, Seven Legged (group of people get tied together and have to to a pub crawl from SB village, through campus and then to Kegworth - prizes for best fancy dress!), Mr and Miss SB, Funny Farms (comedy nights) and Open Mic nights.
Lots going on, basically!
The community spirit is probably the best thing, you'll get to know people on your course and other courses really easily and be recognising people a lot. The Guild do lots of activities and really listen to the students on campus. And of course, it's just such a lovely environment to be in! But this is coming from a farming girl who's used to greenery, I don't know how a city person would feel being out in the country. :P
That's the Summer Ball, it was a couple of weeks ago! They usually have a funfair too and those that make it to 6am get to be in the Survivor's photo and get a free breakfast. Other events are things like the Dining Ins, which are formal dinners for things like Christmas and Valentines and St Patrick's Day. Then there's parties in the bar pretty regularly, Societies Ball, Rugby Matches, Seven Legged (group of people get tied together and have to to a pub crawl from SB village, through campus and then to Kegworth - prizes for best fancy dress!), Mr and Miss SB, Funny Farms (comedy nights) and Open Mic nights.
Lots going on, basically!

Don't worry haha I'm not from the big city just a town. I'm just a small town boy living in a lonely worlllllldddd. lololol but no it sounds like the mixture of country and the city of Nottingham is just right! whooaaaaaaaaaaaa sounds like quite a lot of different things are going on what is freshers week like?? At Sutton??
There's bar parties every night for Freshers week, but the Guild also put on buses to and from Nottingham so you can go to the official club nights for the whole uni! It's good to get introduced to the city and to people from other campuses. :smile:
Original post by hannah.1995
Hi everyone. Today I firmed my place at Nottingham to take Animal Science. I just wanted to start a thread to discuss, get general advice and testimonials etc about Animal Science / life on the Sutton Bonington Campus. Thanks :smile:

Me too ! :smile: Roll on september, I can't wait, what room have you got?
I wouldn't say there's a massive amount of content on Animal Behaviour or pets, but it does get better as you go on. Animal Behaviour in 2nd year is actually a module with Zoology students on UP so that's pretty fun. :smile:
But yes, depending on your interests and choices you can really take this in a lot of directions! Two girls in my class just got into vet school so it can definitely lead you onto that if it's what you want to do.
I'm looking to go into dairy nutrition, hence my dissertation subject and general module choices. They'll definitely try and sell you on the nutrition side of things, because SB's kind of known in the industry for producing good graduates with that kind of knowledge. :P

Your friends who got on to the vet course, you know what grades they got ? And how they are going to pay for the post graduate fees! :P This is what my hearts set on doing so interested on how they got there!
Original post by K-louise1234
Your friends who got on to the vet course, you know what grades they got ? And how they are going to pay for the post graduate fees! :P This is what my hearts set on doing so interested on how they got there!

They both got firsts in Animal Science, and as for the fees it's still an undergraduate course but you get very little help from student finance. So I imagine they have rich parents/lots of savings/a part-time job!
They both got firsts in Animal Science, and as for the fees it's still an undergraduate course but you get very little help from student finance. So I imagine they have rich parents/lots of savings/a part-time job!

I thought you weren't allowed to do an undergraduate if you have a degree!

so is it 7 years for the undergraduate vet after animal science? As the post graduate is 4 years. Sorry for the questions! just intrigued
I'm honestly not the best person to ask, you're better off asking someone who's actually doing it! Sorry.
I am going to be in Stanford Halls at Sutton Bonington campus. I loved the campus on the open day and according to some of the students I spoke to it has a lot of history. One of them told me it was a prisoner of war camp and a group of 21 German officers escaped from there during WW1.
Reply 78
This thread has just answered a lot of my questions! My daughter was accepted onto the Animal Science course today after just missing her grades for Vet Med. She is so excited about living at Sutton Bonington and can't wait to start. She didn't have a massive amount of information about the Animal Science course but this thread will certainly give her some extra information.
Well I got my result yesterday and I got in so I'm officially going!!! :biggrin: so excited now, I'm going to have to do the university shop soon though. Any suggestions for things to buy for first year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending