The Student Room Group

Dilemma over choosing firm and insurance choices?

I am wishing to study geology in September and have four offers which I am considering:
Durham (AAA)
Exeter (AAB)
Southampton (ABB)
Leicester (ABB)

At the moment it looks like I will most likely get AAB, so I am considering taking Exeter as my firm choice. Although I really like Durham I believe they will be unlikely to accept me if I get AAB. For my insurance choice I am also struggling between Southampton and Leicester because both courses are offering ABB, but I am unsure which would be more likely to accept me if I achieved AAC or ABC.

Help!
Original post by Zozzy
I am wishing to study geology in September and have four offers which I am considering:
Durham (AAA)
Exeter (AAB)
Southampton (ABB)
Leicester (ABB)

At the moment it looks like I will most likely get AAB, so I am considering taking Exeter as my firm choice. Although I really like Durham I believe they will be unlikely to accept me if I get AAB. For my insurance choice I am also struggling between Southampton and Leicester because both courses are offering ABB, but I am unsure which would be more likely to accept me if I achieved AAC or ABC.

Help!

Maybe you're being a bit pessimistic? Whilst it may be true that Durham is unlikely to accept you if you get AAB, if you don't try, you definitely won't get in. For all you know, you could get AAA.
Original post by Chlorophile
Maybe you're being a bit pessimistic? Whilst it may be true that Durham is unlikely to accept you if you get AAB, if you don't try, you definitely won't get in. For all you know, you could get AAA.

Yes, but what Zozzy is saying is that he might end up with nowhere (well nowhere he wants to go). If he gets AAC and has put Durham firm and Exeter insurance neither might accept him. If he puts Exeter firm they might be more willing to accept him if he misses by one grade - if Exeter is his insurance they might not be so forgiving?

I would say it depends on how sure you are of getting AAB. If your thinking "Probably AAB but maybe AAA" then I'd put Durham firm Exeter Insurance. If you think "Probably AAB but maybe AAC" then I'd put Exeter firm. The problem is that your insurance choices don't have C's in them. In this case I would put whichever you prefer between Leicester and Southampton as your insurance - but be prepared for either of them to reject you - AAC is a pretty good set of results and should give you plenty of options if the worst really does happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Zozzy
Durham (AAA)
Exeter (AAB)
Southampton (ABB)
Leicester (ABB)

Help!

I would suggest you contact the universities you're interested in and ask them. Whilst they won't be able to give you any guarantees at this stage, they will be able to tell you what has happened in the past and that may help you to decide.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile

I agree with this too!
I was worried that I wouldn't get the ABB I needed for Warwick, but I got three A*
Reply 5
Has anyone visited Leeds geography department? What's it like? I've started a separate thread about this but no one has replied so far :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending