Are there any materials or substances we've run out of yet?

Watch this thread
a-witty-name
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
For a couple of decades it's been said we'll run out of a certain thing in a decade or two and we'll be screwed, like coal and whatever that material was they use for gadgets which China has most of. Have we basically run out of any yet, and had to change, or are we still waiting to cross that bridge when we come to it?
a-witty-name
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
That a no then?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by a-witty-name)
For a couple of decades it's been said we'll run out of a certain thing in a decade or two and we'll be screwed, like coal and whatever that material was they use for gadgets which China has most of. Have we basically run out of any yet, and had to change, or are we still waiting to cross that bridge when we come to it?
None, the UK actually has centuries of coal left and even decades of oil.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Dodo meat.
a-witty-name
Rep:
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Dodo meat.
Yawn.
MindTheGaps
Report 8 years ago
No, nor are we likely to. With the exception of fuels, materials are usually not consumed. Minerals can be recycled pretty much indefinitely. Moreover, we are always working out better, more efficient ways to extract minerals from the ground, from deposits that would have been inaccessible not so long ago, if they had even been discovered.

As long as human ingenuity doesn't look like running out, we'll be fine.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
We've run out of funk.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Plenty of places have lost/almost lost a fair number of decent water resources, but most of the places are in Asia and Africa (eg the Aral Sea, Lake Chad, and the number of highly contaminated rivers in China and the Indian Sub-continent)
Mockery
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Generally dwindling stock levels of materials leads to mounting pressure to be innovative and find other solutions. Therefore, they aren't used to exhaustion.
kpofsuburbia
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Money, according to the government, but then it's all their fault anyway.
lucaf
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
dodo meat
Axiomasher
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by a-witty-name)
Materials will simply become prohibitively expensive before they are literally 'used up', the rich will always have what they want.

Aside from that we're losing biodiversity at an ever accelerating rate (the consequences of which are not easy to calculate) and we're also losing non-polluted environments to ever more polluted ones. In time we'll lose the oceans to acidification and suffer the consequences of sea-level rise, at least our grandchildren and their grandchildren will.
uberteknik
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rinsed)
As long as human ingenuity doesn't look like running out, we'll be fine.
Replace ingenuity with hubris or arrogance.
tonberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Dodo meat.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Whale oil... you can't buy it anywhere
I am not finite
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
brains
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm pretty sure Helium is pretty much gone and is non-renewable.
Davelittle
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Can't wait until we start harvesting asteroids for minerals!

Pretty much unlimited resources available to us in space and still people claim it isn't "economic" to have a space programme, think long term people!
a-witty-name
Rep:
(Original post by lucaf)
dodo meat
Yawn again...
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
I'm pretty sure Helium is pretty much gone and is non-renewable.
Far from it. There's large reserves and it is possible to manufacture (although, that is expensive to do in large scale. You need a nuclear fusion reactor.) Although, if you let go of a helium balloon it will eventually pop in the atmosphere and almost all, if not all, the helium will escape to space and it is gone forever.

By 'large' I mean large enough for its most useful applications. Which basically means science research and medicine, not airships and party balloons. The department I did my undergraduate in had a lot of helium 4 and a LOT of helium 3 (which is vastly more expensive) in storage. They have a good system where they never wasted it, they just recycled what they used.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (21)
17.5%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
25.83%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (64)
53.33%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.33%

Watched Threads