I'm not happy with my life. Watch

Bonafide
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,

Quite simply, I'm not happy with my life. Since starting Uni in September of last year, things just aren't great. It thought Uni was going to be (excuse the cliche) the making of me, in the sense that, I'd mature, make new friends, study, and make a life for myself. Instead, I don't feel like much has changed regarding myself, I'm still pretty immature, I've not made that many new friends and along with my sadness I can't motivate myself to be engaged in my work.
Furthermore, things aren't great with my girlfriend and I've lost a lot of friends from home whom have scattered off with their new friends. I feel pretty lost and worthless.
I'm in need for some drastic change and I don't know what to do.

Have you been through this before? Is this normal? Any advice?

Maybe it's just a temporary thing. But everything is just poo at the moment and has been for a fair few months! Help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
happyinthehaze
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hang on in there - things are always a bit weird on the changeover from home to uni - I am really sure things will get better soon - be nice to yourself, and do things you enjoy doing, like having a nice walk on a sunny day, getting a book you enjoy reading - I would also recommend doing something like a spot of voluntary work in your new local community - it will get you out of yourself, in to your new community, give you some new contacts and some structure - I really rec this if you have time while studying - just a few hours a week will do it. Good luck. It is normal, you are normal!
RWR2288
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Heya mate, what interests do you have? Societies and clubs are the best ways of getting to know people that have the same hobbies as you. If you don't really have any interests in anything just pick one that sounds good and go along with the idea that you will learn something new as well as getting to know people.

Trust me, making new friends when everyone seems to already have some isn't as hard as it seems and there will be people there that will always want to make new friends and help you along.

RWR2288

P.s. what Uni do you go to and I will try and suggest some societies
Bonafide
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by RWR2288)
Heya mate, what interests do you have? Societies and clubs are the best ways of getting to know people that have the same hobbies as you. If you don't really have any interests in anything just pick one that sounds good and go along with the idea that you will learn something new as well as getting to know people.

Trust me, making new friends when everyone seems to already have some isn't as hard as it seems and there will be people there that will always want to make new friends and help you along.

RWR2288

P.s. what Uni do you go to and I will try and suggest some societies
Thanks for the advice guys. Genuinely appreciate it!

I'm at Nottingham Trent University. I have joined a couple of societies, but they never seem to be doing anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
RWR2288
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What societies are they?? If they aren't doing anything go to another one and see what they are up to, looking at NTU website they are easy to join and there are lots of them
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went through this at university, but decided to stick with it. Although I still wonder whether I should have dropped out and started again, I know that in the future I will be glad I persevered. I think that's the key point: perseverance. The making of you will be how you deal with the low points in your life: if you feel you have no friends at the moment, then you find the strength to go out and make some and, in the meantime, learn to accept your own company, which is important. If you're lacking the motivation to study, then it says a lot about your personality if you can push through that and produce something positive out of it. When I was going through a period of thinking I'd made the wrong choices, I find it helped to see the whole thing as a challenge to myself. That's worth so much more than breezing through university without any trouble, and you'll be a much more mature and well-rounded person by the end of it than if you give up.
keith269
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's normal to feel the way you are feeling at the moment but I suggest you hang in there to avoid the pain of regret. Check out this quote:

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”

― Jim Rohn
carola
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same here, the thing is that I'm not motivated with my course , It makes me feel down ... I think we all experience the same , by the way I study at NTU too
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you really don't feel happy, and you have just started (6 months in), perhaps you could change to a uni which is closer to home?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.26%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.82%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.61%
No, I am unable to (116)
23.34%
No, I chose not to (144)
28.97%