Tomm96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I have just received an email requesting my choice of accommodation (undergraduate). I am slightly confused about the options to choose from.

Perhaps a current student could help me out...

The options are as follows:

en suite set
Shared en suite
en suite bedsit
Set
attic
bedsit
oxo

is the en suite set and en suite bedsit single (one person)?

also if you could briefly explain the others I would greatly appreciate it!

thanks for your help
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tomm96)
Hi,

I have just received an email requesting my choice of accommodation (undergraduate). I am slightly confused about the options to choose from.

en suite set
Shared en suite
en suite bedsit
Set
attic
bedsit
oxo

thanks for your help
A "set" is like a mini flat. Usually has a bedroom and a study/living room. In some colleges they will have mini kitchens, but not all (I think you are going to Clare? They don't; kitchen facilities are still shared.) If it's en-suite then it will also have a bathroom - though at Clare most of these are shower-only and don't have actual baths.

All of the options will be rooms for one person, AFAIK there are no shared rooms for first years. The shared en-suite means that two people have rooms off the same little corridor and share a bathroom. Attic rooms can be funny shaped and have some sloping ceilings, and share their facilities with more people, but are apparently quite sociable. No idea about "oxo" I'm afraid!

I had an en-suite set in 1st year and it was lush but I know the rents are way higher now than they used to be. For the other two years I just had a single room/bedsit with a shared bathroom and managed fine.
Tomm96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ok thank you for your help, much appreciated
suedonim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tomm96)
Hi,

en suite set
Shared en suite
en suite bedsit
Set
attic
bedsit
oxo

thanks for your help
I've just updated the Clare wiki to show the range of prices for this year, if that helps, although there is quite a bit of overlap. The rooms are on staircases and the number of people you share the gyp room with varies between staircases. if you have a set you can be sharing your gyp room with 2-4 other people but it could be as many as 18! The shared ensuites have one big room and one small room and the main disadvantage is that your friends cant knock on your door as easily if the outer door is shut. Pictures here http://ucs.clare.cam.ac.uk/academic/...lare/bedrooms/

Don't agonise too much as there are more ensuite sets than anything else so you may get one whatever you put down.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (146)
14.46%
I'm not sure (43)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
30%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.71%

Watched Threads