The Student Room Group

I'm a murderer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by So Instinct
That's quite sad. Was this round a corner? I would assume you'd have time to simply slow down your car if it wasn't.

Btw Pigeons aren't really gifted with much in the way in cognitive ability and is not as good as ours is, so when the car is coming towards them, they can’t process the information fast enough. So it takes a bit of time for them to process the info before they move. That's one of the reasons you often see they don't move until the last minute, often when this is combined with deafness or blindness they don't move at all.

That's odd. I've sat among pigeons at parks and the moment I moved my arm, they flew away. I was actually surprised at how fast their reaction times were and now you say their reaction times are slow? I'm not seeing that at all.
If they had been eating they would have been heavier and slower to move out of the way.
Original post by Gondur
That's odd. I've sat among pigeons at parks and the moment I moved my arm, they flew away. I was actually surprised at how fast their reaction times were and now you say their reaction times are slow? I'm not seeing that at all.

It would be somewhat dependant of whether the bird was on edge and whether it thought it was safe. If it thinks it's safe then due to slow cognitive process it would take longer for the bird to react.

I was curious a while ago and there was a post on it by someone in the Biosystematics field who basically said that.

According to QI they also have a eyesight with higher FPS than humans, so essentially they see things in slow motion too.
Original post by Gondur

I have experienced both types. The ones that speed off in terror if you so much as blink at them and the ones that look right back at you as if to say GET OFF MY LAND :biggrin:
You're horrible!
What choice did you have?
Original post by So Instinct
And why is that?

Well I just meant personally I would feel awful at knocking down a cat or a dog even it it wasn't my fault, think it's because they are someone's pet. It would probably affect me for ages but everybody's different, that's just the way I would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not murder because there was no intent to kill, you may be guilty of Pigeonslaughter though.
Reply 28
Free dinner then?
Pigeon pie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hit a deer at 70mph once. Luckily I managed to avoid hitting it head on on by changing lane, resulting in its face connecting with the left side of my bumper. Messy.
I always used to kick at pigeons as a boy. Once one didn't actually get out of the way, and I felt awful. :colondollar:
Original post by Gondur
The little pigeons were frolicking together, enjoying this pleasant spring day. There was a mummy pigeon and baby pigeons too. The mummy pigeon was showing the baby pigeons the danger of roads and teaching them how to be a strong pigeon like her. The mummy pigeon's wisdom was shattered when the rapidity at which your car threw itself down the road, was too much for little mummy pigeon to bare. She was the first to go under your tyre and her babies cried only to follow her fate. The mummy pigeon lies bleeding with her head resting on one of her babies wings. She sees her babies lying in pieces around her for what seems like an eternity of time. She cries and one of her little pigeon tears fall down her wing and onto her babies face. One of her babies is alive and stands up only to be crushed underneath your rear car tyres

The end.

Lmao your cruel! :lol:
I call my dad "the hunter", cuz he killed a deer, a wild boar piglet, a fox and some other stuff with his car. Not entirely his fault, though. The deer just waited for him to drive up, then jumped out in front of him.

Quick Reply

Latest