The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

English and Journalism & Creative Writing, Strathclyde 2014

I've accepted my offer to Strathclyde to study English and Journalism & Creative writing!!

Just wondering if there's anyone out there that's already on this course that could give me a little bit of info? I feel kind of clueless about what to expect..

Also if you'll be starting the course this year let me know!!

Scroll to see replies

Hi, first post here.

I've got a conditional offer for this and it's probably going to be my first choice since I should hopefully be able to meet the conditions, but was just wondering if there's anyone out here who's already doing this that can give advice on it/confirm it's a good course.

I've got an interest in both journalism and writing, plus I'm into reading and English so I reckon this course should suit me quite well, but just trying to get as much advice and help as I can before choosing a course as my first choice. Want to make sure I opt for the right one.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Anyone?
Reply 3
I got an offer for the same course, however I haven't made my decision yet, coz I have an unconditional place at the GCU's Multimedia Journalism as well.
While Starthy is a better uni overall, GCU has 2 accreditation and seems to be focusing more on the subject, so... well, i pretty much have no idea what to do as of now :smile:
Original post by Mirame
I got an offer for the same course, however I haven't made my decision yet, coz I have an unconditional place at the GCU's Multimedia Journalism as well.
While Starthy is a better uni overall, GCU has 2 accreditation and seems to be focusing more on the subject, so... well, i pretty much have no idea what to do as of now :smile:

I've got a conditional for this and unconditional for GCU, not sure what to take though since I should hopefully get my conditional. Leaning to this because I think the creative writing aspect would maybe suit me more.
Reply 5
Original post by JPBScotland
I've got a conditional for this and unconditional for GCU, not sure what to take though since I should hopefully get my conditional. Leaning to this because I think the creative writing aspect would maybe suit me more.

Same with me! A conditional for Strath and unconditional for GCU. I'm actually already sure I wll meet my conditions, so that is not a problem.
However, I'm still kinda torn... I mean, Starth IS a better school, no doubt; but GCU is accredited and they really seem to focus on the course, while Starth is more about engineering and science... Huh, tough choice.
Original post by Mirame
Same with me! A conditional for Strath and unconditional for GCU. I'm actually already sure I wll meet my conditions, so that is not a problem.
However, I'm still kinda torn... I mean, Starth IS a better school, no doubt; but GCU is accredited and they really seem to focus on the course, while Starth is more about engineering and science... Huh, tough choice.

Yeah it's difficult. I still think there'd be a good level of focus on the course at Strathclyde, even if it's not what it's known for. Looks good and on a lot of the uni websites the students who did this were generally as satisfied as the ones who did the GCU course, so I think I'd like it but want to make sure I go for the right one. Probably will pick Strathclyde, but Cale's is good too so difficult choice.
Reply 7
Yeah it's difficult. I still think there'd be a good level of focus on the course at Strathclyde, even if it's not what it's known for. Looks good and on a lot of the uni websites the students who did this were generally as satisfied as the ones who did the GCU course, so I think I'd like it but want to make sure I go for the right one. Probably will pick Strathclyde, but Cale's is good too so difficult choice.

Well, did you get a chance to talk to anyone currently doing any of those courses?
That would be super helpful and I think I'm gonna try to get in touch with some journalism students from strathy and GCU
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I've accepted Politics and JCW from Strath ! :smile:
Original post by Mirame
Well, did you get a chance to talk to anyone currently doing any of those courses?
That would be super helpful and I think I'm gonna try to get in touch with some journalism students from strathy and GCU

That could be a good idea actually, might help you get a good idea of what course is for you from people doing them. I think I might like this one since I get the journalism aspect, but get creative writing as well along with English.

Original post by nine22
I've accepted Politics and JCW from Strath ! :smile:

Nice one, might see you there in September then.
Reply 10
I'm leaning slightly towards the Strathy, because it's as you say - with practically 3 subjects, it gives you a broader education.
The only thing that really ticks me off is the accreditation thing... can't really find much on the Internet on the importance of it, when it comes to journalism.
Original post by Mirame
I'm leaning slightly towards the Strathy, because it's as you say - with practically 3 subjects, it gives you a broader education.
The only thing that really ticks me off is the accreditation thing... can't really find much on the Internet on the importance of it, when it comes to journalism.

Yeah I don't really know the importance of it. I know it means that you have to do interviews I think, at least I was told something along those lines at Cale, but I'm not really sure what it means beyond that.
Reply 12
Hi! I haven't accepted my offer yet, but I'm pretty sure I will be studying Journalism & Creative Writing at Strathchlyde! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by catherineloutay
I've accepted my offer to Strathclyde to study English and Journalism & Creative writing!!

Just wondering if there's anyone out there that's already on this course that could give me a little bit of info? I feel kind of clueless about what to expect..

Also if you'll be starting the course this year let me know!!

Hi! I haven't accepted my offer yet, but I'm pretty sure I will be studying Journalism & Creative Writing at Strathchlyde!
Reply 14
Original post by yayapic
Hi! I haven't accepted my offer yet, but I'm pretty sure I will be studying Journalism & Creative Writing at Strathchlyde!

So am I!
I'm pretty much convinced I will accept my offer, I may even do it today... :wink:

I think it would be cool to create a Facebook page for our class, don't u think?
Made my decision tonight to go for this course as my first course with GCU as my backup. Took me ages to finally click the wee button to confirm, but I've kind of been leaning to this one most of the way through so hopefully I've made the right choice.
Reply 16
Made my decision tonight to go for this course as my first course with GCU as my backup. Took me ages to finally click the wee button to confirm, but I've kind of been leaning to this one most of the way through so hopefully I've made the right choice.

Totally know the feeling, coz I did the same thing - confirmed the Strath with GCU as my backup.
It felt kind of liberating to finally have clicked that freaking button :biggrin:
Original post by Mirame
Totally know the feeling, coz I did the same thing - confirmed the Strath with GCU as my backup.
It felt kind of liberating to finally have clicked that freaking button :biggrin:

Yeah a weird feeling but kind of a relief too. Might see you there in September then!
Reply 18
Yeah a weird feeling but kind of a relief too. Might see you there in September then!

I'm basically sure that I have met my conditions, just waiting for it to be official, so good luck to you and perhaps we'll see each other in September!
Original post by Mirame
I'm basically sure that I have met my conditions, just waiting for it to be official, so good luck to you and perhaps we'll see each other in September!

Yeah my conditions weren't too demanding and I should be able to meet them, just don't want to be too confident about it in case I don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending