Has anyone been rejected while meeting the entry requirements?

Watch
mariocasas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I just got rejected from King's College London for International Relations. They told me that although I met their entry requirements, they received very high amounts of applications this year and had to disappoint a lot of people, myself included.

I feel like crap, I worked hard for the grades and I poured my heart and soul into my personal statement, but I still wasn't good enough.
I do love my next choice, but King's has a world class department and a high international ranking.

Has this happened to anyone else?
KatsToes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes this happened to me for kings too. I applied for adult nursing, had an email saying although I met the entry requirements they had a high level of applicants blah blah blah. However, I had another email from them a couple of months later saying they had received extra funding and we're willing to offer me an interview.

I had my interview and didn't get a place anyway lol, this actually made it worse than being turned away without interview but I got over it, sometimes there are just too many applicants with the same qualifications etc, don't feel too badly about it. Good luck with your other choices
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have been applying for a lot of PhDs recently with similar outcomes to you guys. Don't take it personally, just think they could have had people applying from Oxbridge with 1sts and a ridiculous amount of relevant experience. Sometimes people applying are older and have had more time to build up there CV. Sometimes you have to realise there are better people than you in your field, but that is ok
Bow Tie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The university course I'm applying for; medicine is notoriously difficult to get into and basically everyone who applies meets the entry requirements of around A*AA or AAA. However due to the sheer volume of applicants, its usually like 10% of applicants get in per university so you see that it's actually VERY common at least in medicine to meet the entry requirements and still get rejected.
czechmishaout
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's perfectly normal to be rejected based on personal statement. Entry requirements are the minimum they request to even look at your PS. A lot of people were rejected from Edinburgh (English) with A*A*A - all because of the PS thingy. This is why you write the personal statement in the first place - so that they can compare you against other applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mariocasas)
I just got rejected from King's College London for International Relations. They told me that although I met their entry requirements, they received very high amounts of applications this year and had to disappoint a lot of people, myself included.

I feel like crap, I worked hard for the grades and I poured my heart and soul into my personal statement, but I still wasn't good enough.
I do love my next choice, but King's has a world class department and a high international ranking.

Has this happened to anyone else?
It's very common with certain courses and universities. Take Oxbridge for example- most people who apply are predicted the right grades and they can't all get a place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads