This discussion is closed.
MIZZ
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
anyone know where to get 2nd hand phones from?
i'm looking for something under £100
was looking at picture phones but apparently the ones under £100 are not good
otherwise 8850, 8890 or 8910 ( 8310 if i get desperate)
there's computer exchange : www.cex.co.uk but i think they still rip you off esp if you look at their buying prices
MIZZ
Pay As You Go
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would avoid second hand mobiles like a plague.
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would say a good proportion of second hand mobiles are stolen.
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You don't know what isn't going to work! Like buttons or the microphone
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
You don't know what isn't going to work! Like buttons or the microphone
That reminds me of when my mate tried to sell his phone that had a broken microphone!
MIZZ
ok reason i asked 2nd hand is because these are pretty old phones i think and i checked quite a few sites e.g carphone warehouse and they don't seem to have them any more?
can anyone tell me any phones for under £100 pay as you go
stylish like the ones i mentioned above
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Safest way is to either buy one from a friend, or a 'refurbished' model from one of the big phone shops.
I agree.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MIZZ)
there's computer exchange : www.cex.co.uk but i think they still rip you off esp if you look at their buying prices
Sagem MYX-65 has a fantastic camera, and wadda you know, its only £99.99 PAYG on Voda. (God, I hate pyschological pricing!)
chidori
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Sagem MYX-65 has a fantastic camera, and wadda you know, its only £99.99 PAYG on Voda. (God, I hate pyschological pricing!)
Some may be put off by it's size though.

You could always try ebay and check out trusted sellers (ones with high feedback).
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sometimes people take the free upgrade theyre entitled to but dont actually want the phone, so keep their old one and sell on the new one. i reckon thats the best way of getting a good quality new phone cheaper. some shops really overcharge for refurbished phones cos of the amount of work that has to go into them. dixons are selling refurb a50s and 3310s for £50... you could get a new one of those for considerably less!
immortal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got mine off www.virginmobile.com for £50. Its not a camera phone, but its colour, polyphonic. They've got some good deals on reconditioned phones (I'm broke) which are just re-made pre-owned phones.

Most of the new phones are pretty cheap at the mo - some camera ones for under £100
A0307
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
www.ebay.co.uk

Me and my mates must have bought over a dozen phones from there over the last couple years, it's perfectly safe if you use some common sense.
Chocolate_Lover
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
I agree.

yes me to,its not worth the risk
A0307
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What are you all afraid of second-hand phones for? It's no different to a second hand car or anything else.
fifi53
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by calumc)
What are you all afraid of second-hand phones for? It's no different to a second hand car or anything else.
cos if a cars stolen, youre only going to get in trouble if the police find out, at least it'll drive... with a stolen phone they can be totally blocked by the network so even if you swap sim it wont work... £100 down the drain.
you can get brand new nokia 6100s pay as you go for £100 now... why bother with a 2nd hand one!
2nd hand phones are so overpriced as well... once a £150 phone is a year old its worth nothing... maybe £10... but still peopel sell them for £100!
A0307
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fifi53)
cos if a cars stolen, youre only going to get in trouble if the police find out, at least it'll drive... with a stolen phone they can be totally blocked by the network so even if you swap sim it wont work... £100 down the drain.
you can get brand new nokia 6100s pay as you go for £100 now... why bother with a 2nd hand one!
2nd hand phones are so overpriced as well... once a £150 phone is a year old its worth nothing... maybe £10... but still peopel sell them for £100!
Um, very good, but I think you've missed the point - just don't buy a stolen one then. Use the same common sense you would with anything else and it's easy enough to tell - people get new phones so sell their old one, I've done it myself and don't see why it being a phone makes it so suspicious!

£100? My mate just got a 6100 with a broken keypad off ebay for £50 quid, fixed the keypad, and now it's good as new. I call 50% off quite a good deal.

Overpriced? Second hand goods are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. A phone doesn't drop from £150 to £10 in a year, as if it did nobody would pay more than a tenner, would they.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MIZZ)
8910 from me can be bought for £140, boxed as new, and legit.
kirbz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Personally I would steer clear of second hand moble phones. And why 8310 only if you're desperate?

If you want a contract phone you can get a phone free from dial-a-phone, with cheap contracts.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.54%
No I don't (151)
46.89%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed