why would someone not accept Evolution as a fact ?

Watch this thread
Biomed SS
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
why would someone not accept Evolution as a fact ?
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Personally while I have absolutely no reason to doubt the validity of it I also have personally not spent any time looking through the evidence for it so arguably I personally have no reason to actually agree with the theory other than because people in authority say I should.

I can quote adequately explain why I positively believe atoms exist, that quantum mechanics works and a host of other thing like that, but because of my ignorance I don't actually have a good reason to believe our doubt evolution.
Monkey.Man
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
because their religion tells them to reject it because it has a fairytale explanation in its place
Drewski
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Because some find the concept of having evolved from apes offensive.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 8 years ago
Because they accept their imaginary friend(s) as a fact instead.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Confirmation bias/stupidity/lack of education.

There are no other reasons.
OrlaCarmel
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Normally they're uneducated and/or have a bizarre upbringing. I always feel a bit bad for people who still don't accept it, because normally it's not actually their fault..
BitWindy
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Because they haven't seen the evidence.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Usually it's a case of misunderstanding the evidence. If you look at creationist videos on You Tube they are full of crude simplifications and information that is simply false.
alow
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Because they didn't pay enough attention in school, or were indoctrinated.
alow
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Octohedral)
Usually it's a case of misunderstanding the evidence. If you look at creationist videos on You Tube they are full of crude simplifications and information that is simply false.
B-but bananas fit perfectly in a hand...
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
religion....
'Ello Dave!
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alow)
B-but bananas fit perfectly in a hand...
so does the coke cola can If that doesn't convert you to creationism I have no idea what will
alow
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 'Ello Dave!)
so does the coke cola can
Because God made it that way, duh!
economist2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Muslim hate thread detected...
rachelemily
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Please be respectful toward other people's views. You have to respect other people's opinions, like you have the right to hold that view, so do creationists. Please don't all jump down my throat, but if we're supposed to live in an equal and free society, people should all be able to have their views without being made to look like a fool. I get where you're coming from if other people are shoving their opinion down your throat, but when they're not, these things can be quite unsettling for a person of faith to hear. Please just try and be mindful when expressing your views
DaveSmith99
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rachelemily)
Please be respectful toward other people's views. You have to respect other people's opinions, like you have the right to hold that view, so do creationists. Please don't all jump down my throat, but if we're supposed to live in an equal and free society, people should all be able to have their views without being made to look like a fool. I get where you're coming from if other people are shoving their opinion down your throat, but when they're not, these things can be quite unsettling for a person of faith to hear. Please just try and be mindful when expressing your views
In a free society we have to respect peoples rights to hold whatever views they like, but we don't have to respect the views themselves. I would respect someones right to hold the view that the oceans consist of 7-up and not water, but I wouldn't respect the view itself.
limetang
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
In a free society we have to respect peoples rights to hold whatever views they like, but we don't have to respect the views themselves. I would respect someones right to hold the view that the oceans consist of 7-up and not water, but I wouldn't respect the view itself.
Oh absolutely. To the question though iI think it's quite understandable that some might doubt the validity of evolution. Purely because it is taught (like most science in schools is) in a very unscientific way. Evidence is not presented but it is just mentioned as fact with an explanation of how it works.

Most people have absolutely no good reason to think it is true except on grounds of authority. That doesn't mean it's not true mind it's just that the reasoning behind thinking it is is not good enough for many people.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
Oh absolutely. To the question though iI think it's quite understandable that some might doubt the validity of evolution. Purely because it is taught (like most science in schools is) in a very unscientific way. Evidence is not presented but it is just mentioned as fact with an explanation of how it works.

Most people have absolutely no good reason to think it is true except on grounds of authority. That doesn't mean it's not true mind it's just that the reasoning behind thinking it is is not good enough for many people.
This is an issue yes and it could be taught far better, however most people are perfectly happy to accept a huge amounts of things on authority. People accept that their language teachers are actually teaching them French and not gibberish on authority, people accept that their history teachers are teaching them history and not tall tales on authority, people accept that Neptune exists on authority. I think the main reason that people reject evolution is confirmation bias, not issues with how the evidence is presented.
newusername96
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
just like atheists say 'god doesn't exist' its because they haven't observed evolution i.e. 'seen it'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (230)
41.97%
The paper was reasonable (233)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (50)
9.12%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
6.39%

Watched Threads