The Student Room Group

why would someone not accept Evolution as a fact ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelemily
Please be respectful toward other people's views. You have to respect other people's opinions, like you have the right to hold that view, so do creationists. Please don't all jump down my throat, but if we're supposed to live in an equal and free society, people should all be able to have their views without being made to look like a fool. I get where you're coming from if other people are shoving their opinion down your throat, but when they're not, these things can be quite unsettling for a person of faith to hear. Please just try and be mindful when expressing your views :smile:

You do not have to respect other peoples views, do you respect Hitlers views? The people denying evolution are making themselves look like a fool, we are just pointing out how wrong they are.
Why are people who so readily accept the theory of Evolution so reticent in general to deviate from the mantra "there is only one human race"?

Do they really believe that separate races evolving over many thousands of years in vastly differing environments and conditions produced no differences beyond skin colour or is it just feel-good propaganda to mask uncomfortable truths?
I don't come from an ape :biggrin:
Original post by Biomed SS

its very hard to believe that if nothing existed then how could have plants formed and then animals which evolved into humans?
Reply 24
Original post by rachelemily
Please be respectful toward other people's views. You have to respect other people's opinions, like you have the right to hold that view, so do creationists. Please don't all jump down my throat, but if we're supposed to live in an equal and free society, people should all be able to have their views without being made to look like a fool. I get where you're coming from if other people are shoving their opinion down your throat, but when they're not, these things can be quite unsettling for a person of faith to hear. Please just try and be mindful when expressing your views :smile:

What about a paedophile's views on children?
Reply 25
yes i think mainly its the true understanding of what evolution is, and how it works.

many who claim they dont believe dont really know what is evolution
and the same time who do believe and accept dont know that much of it.

Richard Dawkins
evidence for evolution is a great book and if u study biology, biology itself should show u many examples of evidence of evolution...

regards

BIOMED SS
Reply 26
Original post by Kitty-meaw
its very hard to believe that if nothing existed then how could have plants formed and then animals which evolved into humans?

the thing with science is that it got nothing to do with reasoning and logic of how we think it supposed to be,

in the same sense how can the world go around the sun because of gravity, thats hard to believe but its the fact and lots of evidence.

theres also a issue here of what we mean by belief, normally i would consider belief to be closely related to a persons opinion.
Original post by Abdul-Karim

Genetic evidence says otherwise.
Reply 28
people need to get one thing straight, without evolution most of what bio-science understands comes to dust !

a quote,

“Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution”
(Theodosius Dobzhansky)1
Because they have learnt about religion from a young age and believe it while they learn about evolution from a much older age. Also because some places like parts of america teach creationism in their schools.

And on the issue of respecting other people's views...you can respect their right to have that view, doesn't mean their view is right. Evidence for evolution - loads, evidence for creationism - 0. I have no problems with people believing in religion, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but as someone who is planning on studying evolution for the rest of my life, when someone gets into an argument with me saying I am wrong and evolution doesn't exist and creationism is right...well sorry, it's not a question, evolution does exist.

Rant over. (I like this thread, I can rant and know i'm not going to be bombarded with 100 creationists :P )

They would have to demonstrate that they have superior evidence to the contrary and the bible or Quran does not not qualify

Your genes say the contrary. Do you believe in genetics or is it against your primitive religion ?
Original post by DaveSmith99
This is an issue yes and it could be taught far better, however most people are perfectly happy to accept a huge amounts of things on authority. People accept that their language teachers are actually teaching them French and not gibberish on authority, people accept that their history teachers are teaching them history and not tall tales on authority, people accept that Neptune exists on authority. I think the main reason that people reject evolution is confirmation bias, not issues with how the evidence is presented.

I've started learning Arabic as i'm interested in the Middle East but this always makes me nervous, how do I know if what i'm reading is gibberish? lol :/

I think we have to emphasise here that religion and evolution are not really incompatible, just literal religion and evolution. As to why people reject evolution, I have no idea, I cannot explain it in any other term than ideology or ignorance. (I feel there is a distinction between faith and stupidity)
(edited 9 years ago)
I guess it all comes down to upbringing, if you're brought up in a religious family that refuses to accept evolution then I guess it is hard to let it go. But I feel that anyone who has been brought up in a way that promotes challenging ideas should accept evolution as a fact, the evidence is in favour of it and to deny that fact is just ignorance, but at the end of the day it is simply personal choice.
Reply 34

Yes, you do.
Original post by mjvss1002
I guess it all comes down to upbringing, if you're brought up in a religious family that refuses to accept evolution then I guess it is hard to let it go. But I feel that anyone who has been brought up in a way that promotes challenging ideas should accept evolution as a fact, the evidence is in favour of it and to deny that fact is just ignorance, but at the end of the day it is simply personal choice.

But if you have the evidence for it and you deny it then it's not really ignorance. It's just ideology. It's not really just personal choice though as you can't do much in biology without it.

Please could you clarify how Darwin's studies exclude the possibility of predestination that the specific life forms studies would evolve in the manner observed. Darwin concluded it was down to strength/ characteristics of an individual animal and fitness for an environment but surely this is just an explanation attributed to an observation. How can you positively exclude the explanation of predestination?

If you can do this, please explain as I'm interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kitty-meaw

You are confusing abiogenesis with the theory of evolution. Abiogenesis is a different topic.

Abiogenesis = origin of life from non-life

Theory of evolution = explanation for the diversity and origins of species.

If you want to know more about abiogenesis, and what scientists know about how non-life becomes life, then I would recommend this video:

Isn't evolution just a theory?
When laymen hear the word 'theory' in science, they believe that it is just a guess. But it is not. A theory in science is something which is testable and has been repeatedly confirmed through experiment.

Examples of theories in science: atomic theory, germ theory, nuclear theory, heliocentric theory, cohesion-tension theory

The theory of evolution is not about the origins of life, but about how all the different varieties of species you see around you came about. The mechanism that the theory of evolution proposes is natural selection.

What is natural selection?
Natural selection is where the fittest animals in an environment pass on their successful genes to the next generation.

Does fittest mean the strongest, fastest animal?
No. The fittest animal is the one which is most adapted to its environment.
For example, a sea lion has a layer of fat which keeps it warm.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Algorithm69
If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys today?

Evolution is the change in populations, not in individuals.Evolution is not a process in which species universally progress up a "ladder".
Therefore, humans are not descended from any modern species of monkey; both monkeys and humans are descended from some long-extinct ancestor pre-dating both. Although this species, if it were transferred to today, would be considered a "monkey", it is not any living species of monkey.Evolution explains how humans developed from a primate ancestor, but not an extant species of monkey or ape. (Modern primates include: bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas, baboons, macaques, lemurs, gibbons, and humans. None of these is a descendant of any other.)
In no way did "we evolve from monkeys" so get you facts right before you say things without thinking...
Reply 39

If God has the power to create worlds, what's to stop him planting evidence that supports evolution?

Quick Reply