The Student Room Group

why would someone not accept Evolution as a fact ?

Scroll to see replies

Because it is not a 100% proven fact.
You can't prove it.
Its more of a hypothesis than a theory!

And as someone already said, for the same reason many people don't accept God exists as a fact :smile:.
Reply 41
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I don't come from an ape :biggrin:

Evolution is the change in populations, not in individuals.Evolution is not a process in which species universally progress up a "ladder".
Therefore, humans are not descended from any modern species of monkey; both monkeys and humans are descended from some long-extinct ancestor pre-dating both. Although this species, if it were transferred to today, would be considered a "monkey", it is not any living species of monkey.Evolution explains how humans developed from a primate ancestor, but not an extant species of monkey or ape. (Modern primates include: bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas, baboons, macaques, lemurs, gibbons, and humans. None of these is a descendant of any other.)
In no way did "we come ape" so get you facts right before you say things without thinking...
Original post by Lakesx
Evolution is the change in populations, not in individuals.Evolution is not a process in which species universally progress up a "ladder".
Therefore, humans are not descended from any modern species of monkey; both monkeys and humans are descended from some long-extinct ancestor pre-dating both. Although this species, if it were transferred to today, would be considered a "monkey", it is not any living species of monkey.Evolution explains how humans developed from a primate ancestor, but not an extant species of monkey or ape. (Modern primates include: bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas, baboons, macaques, lemurs, gibbons, and humans. None of these is a descendant of any other.)
In no way did "we come ape" so get you facts right before you say things without thinking...

Keep telling yourself that.
Reply 43
People can believe what they want.

Atheists are as bad as religious people for shoving their views down throats. Just live and let live.
Original post by blurrygirl
You can't prove it.

And as someone already said, for the same reason many people don't accept God exists as a fact :smile:.

We can prove it, we have proven it, it's one of, if not the best scientific theory we have.

It is in no way comparable to belief in God, as there is mountains and mountains of evidence for evolution and absolutely zero evidence for God.
Original post by DaveSmith99
We can prove it, we have proven it, it's one of, if not the best scientific theory we have.

It is in no way comparable to belief in God, as there is mountains and mountains of evidence for evolution and absolutely zero evidence for God.

I think the best thing to do with this topic is just agree to disagree!
Original post by Biomed SS
why would someone not accept Evolution as a fact ?

there is no strong evidence. just a strong theory.

No need to persuade anyone.

the idea is to say "okay, thanks" . Avoid using "if", "but" & "however". No value needs to be added to people's opinion.
Keep telling yourself that.

For shame.

Why do you even bother coming onto the debating section when your only response to a quality post is 'keep telling yourself that'? You are clearly not interested in learning something new and examining something with a critical and open mind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Politricks
For shame.

Why do you even bother coming onto the debating section when your only response to a quality post is 'keep telling yourself that'? You are clearly not interested in learning something new and examining something with a critical and open mind.

Why would I debate the ridiculous claim that we evolved from monkeys, or whatever else animal you believe.
Why would I debate the ridiculous claim that we evolved from monkeys, or whatever else animal you believe.

It's such a ridiculous claim that practically every biologist in the world accepts it as true. I'm sure you and your science GCSE know better though.
It's such a ridiculous claim that practically every biologist in the world accepts it as true. I'm sure you and your science GCSE know better though.

Kind of ironic how I actually do.
Kind of ironic how I actually do.

I think it's more stupidity and arrogance than irony.
Reply 52
You can't prove it.

It is as proven as anything outside of mathematics can be. It is not a hypothesis. People don't accept God as fact because tehre is no evidence, the same cannot be said for evolution.
I don't come from an ape :biggrin:

Not only are you descended from an ape, you are an ape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape
Reply 54

If you are going to go against what the vast majority of scientists say you should at least be knowledgeable on the topic, saying we came from monkeys just shows how little you know.
I think the best thing to do with this topic is just agree to disagree!

****ing lol
Original post by Green Marble
Your genes say the contrary. Do you believe in genetics or is it against your primitive religion ?

Poor argument. Genetics has shown that organisms on a wider classification also have exceptional similarities to homosapiens not "just" primates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol 'cos someone doesn't agree with you, you feel the need to insult him/her?

I personally don't believe in human evolution because of the missing links in evidence. Surely if we descended from a certain primate, their would be remains of that animal, and every animal linking us to them? Can anyone tell me why the evidence is missing as I'm curious?

Also, how could I believe in evolution totally when it doesn't explain the origin of life.
Original post by TheLionHearted

I personally don't believe in human evolution because of the missing links in evidence. Surely if we descended from a certain primate, their would be remains of that animal, and every animal linking us to them? Can anyone tell me why the evidence is missing as I'm curious?

Also, how could I believe in evolution totally when it doesn't explain the origin of life.

Why does evolution need to explain the origin of life? Isn't abiogenesis a valid explanation even though a hypothesis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheLionHearted

What missing links?

Evolution doesn't even attempt to explain the origin of life, so why would this make a difference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending