Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

So after months of procrastinating around come to three cars:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01403162559981

http://www.crownautosuk.co.uk/used-c...01403132490230

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01403192647246 This one is my fave atm. One elderly couple from new, then dealer. Guy lives near you and it’s being sold from a retail premises/small business.

Which one looks decent? I'm leaning towards the last one but the one from ISis also looks good, be it a higher mileage, and the crown autos one is much newed (2005) than the last link, and a higher spec model for only 600 quid more, but limited info on history, whereas the last link has ample background history (unverified but reassuring).

Let me know which one you think is good/what I should look out for when I go view them later today,

Thanks!

Edit: snapped out of my anxious state, stepped back and am reasoning more now, see post 15 please
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Never buy a car in a hurry no matter how good a deal it appears to be.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
Hi everyone,

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01403192647246 This one is my fave atm. One elderly couple from new, then dealer. Guy lives near you and it’s being sold from a retail premises/small business.

Which one looks decent? I'm leaning towards the last one but the one from ISis also looks good, be it a higher mileage, and the crown autos one is much newed (2005) than the last link, and a higher spec model for only 600 quid more, but limited info on history, whereas the last link has ample background history (unverified but reassuring).

Let me know which one you think is good/what I should look out for when I go view them later today,

Thanks!
The only issue I think you'll have is the space within the car, it will feel cramped if you take on rear passengers. Apart from that, its a great city car.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alfissti)
ok, thanks for the heads up. I'm just getting a bit desperate atm . Need a car for my big move up to scotland
jusdorange
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This.

If you need transport, rent a car.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ok, thanks for the heads up. I'm just getting a bit desperate atm . Need a car for my big move up to scotland
There are 3 things in life you should never be in a hurry to get, they are a girl, car and a home.

Don't pressure yourself and put a deadline to get a car.

My suggestion is to rent a van instead, it is unlikely that Yaris will be able to carry everything you own.

Also you probably don't want to drive a car you had just bought so far so soon without knowing if it has any issues that needs addressing.

Personally I wouldn't buy any of those cars you listed as they are beyond the years am willing to consider, I generally don't think buying a car older than 3 years is a good idea unless it has a lot of new parts on it. All of them seem to have rather low mileage for their age which considering the postcode of the dealer would mean that they were cars that lived in urban areas and mostly stuck in start/stop traffic for most of its life, not the best of cars to buy. Just IMHO.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some of the best deals I've done have been because I needed to buy a car TODAY.

So long as you're not buying a pup you're fine.
Camoxide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You've made 3 threads now and basically ignored everyone's suggestions and advice anyway.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Camoxide)
You've made 3 threads now and basically ignored everyone's suggestions and advice anyway.
Somewhat true.
KCLeblanc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can't make a proper assessment of a car from an internet advert, go and look and see which one's best.

I would personally avoid the 3rd one since it's automatic which will be pretty tedious on a 1.3.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
There are 3 things in life you should never be in a hurry to get, they are a girl, car and a home.

Don't pressure yourself and put a deadline to get a car.

My suggestion is to rent a van instead, it is unlikely that Yaris will be able to carry everything you own.

Also you probably don't want to drive a car you had just bought so far so soon without knowing if it has any issues that needs addressing.

Personally I wouldn't buy any of those cars you listed as they are beyond the years am willing to consider, I generally don't think buying a car older than 3 years is a good idea unless it has a lot of new parts on it. All of them seem to have rather low mileage for their age which considering the postcode of the dealer would mean that they were cars that lived in urban areas and mostly stuck in start/stop traffic for most of its life, not the best of cars to buy. Just IMHO.
Yer, I ended up visiting like 5 car places yesterday and ended up trying vauxhall astra + corsa, peugeot 207, and the toyota yaris and auris.

Of all the cars I tried I felt the toyota made the least noise whilst sitting in the car and it felt like the most refined engine. So today i'm going to be doing some research to see if I can pick up the Yaris or Auris cheaper somewhere else, if not, i'll probably end up getting it from car giant

I don't have much luggage to be honest. Should be fine with a yaris, but will have to see. Not planning on fully moving everything there, just clothes, a few books, slightly more than I would take if I were flying.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by Camoxide)
I apologise.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Speaking as a mum who is looking for a car for my son to buy - can I put my pennyworth in.

The Yaris is a good car to buy - but your favourite will be in a higher insurance group - and given how much my my son is being quoted for a citroen CI - it is eyewateringly expensive.

Anything with a 1.6 engine is not going to be cheap unless you are ancient. Ignore the higher spec you pay extra for that.

The best car to buy is a car with full service history, a high mileage is not necessarily a bad thing. Low milage means the car has sat for ages in a garage or done loads of short journeys ( not good for it)

And these cars are all knocking on a bit. I would hire a car for the move to Scotland and then get a car there - you do not want to break down in the middle of the Pennines or somewhere equally desolate
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with this. For some reason people get emotionally involved in buying cars and yet they are no different to buying a TV or washing machine. The car salesman sits at the centre of his web waiting for you to enter and then you are drawn in.

Dont be afriad to walk away. Tomorrow is another day and there will be other cars.

You dont need it to move..get the train,rent a car or get help from friends or family.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by Limpopo)
I agree with this. For some reason people get emotionally involved in buying cars and yet they are no different to buying a TV or washing machine. The car salesman sits at the centre of his web waiting for you to enter and then you are drawn in.

Dont be afriad to walk away. Tomorrow is another day and there will be other cars.

You dont need it to move..get the train,rent a car or get help from friends or family.
Today i'm going to check these out:

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Yar...5_Dr_Hatch.asp

and

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Aur...5_Dr_Hatch.asp

I checked out various vauxhall's, golfs, renaults, peugeots and fords and I like the feel of the toyota. It feels less cheap than the others, and £2k more. So my thinking is at the moment:

Get a Toyota, use it for the next 5 years, then upgrade.

How does that sound? I can't decide between an Auris and Yaris. I think the Yaris' 286L should be enough for me. Also the engine on the yaris and auris is the same 1.3 no? So i'm thinking the power to weight ratio would be higher in the yaris, so better for motorways up to scotland?

What do you guys think? Looking at the 2010-1 models.
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Today i'm going to check these out:

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Yar...5_Dr_Hatch.asp

and

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Aur...5_Dr_Hatch.asp

I checked out various vauxhall's, golfs, renaults, peugeots and fords and I like the feel of the toyota. It feels less cheap than the others, and £2k more. So my thinking is at the moment:

Get a Toyota, use it for the next 5 years, then upgrade.

How does that sound? I can't decide between an Auris and Yaris. I think the Yaris' 286L should be enough for me. Also the engine on the yaris and auris is the same 1.3 no? So i'm thinking the power to weight ratio would be higher in the yaris, so better for motorways up to scotland?

What do you guys think? Looking at the 2010-1 models.
Have you looked at Honda civic 1.3L petrol?
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by Limpopo)
Have you looked at Honda civic 1.3L petrol?
I must admit I haven't, no! Will be sure to check it out before committing to a yaris!

Btw, do you think it's worth the hassle of going to a private small time dealer to save a few hundred quid or so? I'm thinking of just getting a car from car giant if I find one I'm set on there. I know there are cheaper places but I'm paranoid that i'll run the risk of ending up at unscrupulous dealers etc.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
Today has been so depressing. Literally spent all day reading about cars and getting car insurance quotes. I'm like physically and mentally exhausted!!! Wish someone would just buy me a car and tell me to drive it! :mad:
hypercaine.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Make a shortlist of cars, if this requires driving a few to see what its like so be it. Find insurance quotes and refine the shortlist based on whats affordable and what isnt. Check local garages to see if any come up for sale, you should know some garages in the local area, if not ask some friends or family.
When I was looking for my car I knew what I wanted, it was a choice of about 3 or 4 and spent months checking everyday on local garage sites or big dealers (Bristol Street, Evans Halshaw, etc.) and eventually one came up which was perfect and I bought it.
BritBoyWonder
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Check out the Nissan Cube
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (195)
61.51%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.79%
No- I want it (88)
27.76%
No- I don't want it (22)
6.94%

Watched Threads