Supremum, infimum, maximum and minimum

Watch
gn17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi tsr,

A=(2^n)/((2^n)+1)cos((npi)/2) such that n is an element of natural numbers. Which of the following statements is true? a)modulus of minA=modulus of maxA b)supA=infA c)modulus of supA=modulus of infA d)modulus of minA=modulus of supA

I got the max to be 1, minA to be -1, supA to be 1 and infA to be -1. So according to my answers modulus of all the above answers except b) make sense but there is only one correct answer so which one is right and how do i get to it?

Also i worked out this answer from trial and error, is there a quicker way of doing this since this was a non-calculator question.
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gn17)
Hi tsr,

A=(2^n)/((2^n)+1)cos((npi)/2) such that n is an element of natural numbers. Which of the following statements is true? a)modulus of minA=modulus of maxA b)supA=infA c)modulus of supA=modulus of infA d)modulus of minA=modulus of supA

I got the max to be 1, minA to be -1, supA to be 1 and infA to be -1. So according to my answers modulus of all the above answers except b) make sense but there is only one correct answer so which one is right and how do i get to it?

Also i worked out this answer from trial and error, is there a quicker way of doing this since this was a non-calculator question.
Could you clarify - do you mean A = \dfrac{2^n}{2^n+1} \cos(\dfrac{n \pi}{2})?
gn17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smaug123)
Could you clarify - do you mean A = \dfrac{2^n}{2^n+1} \cos(\dfrac{n \pi}{2})?
Yes
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gn17)
Yes
So for n odd, \cos(\frac{n \pi}{2}) = 0; for n even, \cos(\frac{n \pi}{2}) = (-1)^{n/2}. Clearly the sequence increases in modulus with n, because the fraction term tends to 1, and 1 is an upper bound on the modulus of A. Moreover, it is the supremum of the modulus. However, it is not attained for any n, so the maximum does not exist.

The inf is -1, similarly, and the minimum doesn't exist.
gn17
Rep:
?
So for n odd, \cos(\frac{n \pi}{2}) = 0; for n even, \cos(\frac{n \pi}{2}) = (-1)^{n/2}. Clearly the sequence increases in modulus with n, because the fraction term tends to 1, and 1 is an upper bound on the modulus of A. Moreover, it is the supremum of the modulus. However, it is not attained for any n, so the maximum does not exist.

The inf is -1, similarly, and the minimum doesn't exist.
But when e.g n=80, I do get A to be 1 and when n is 82 I get A to be -1.
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gn17)
But when e.g n=80, I do get A to be 1 and when n is 82 I get A to be -1.
How can you possibly get A to be 1? Are you doing some sort of estimation with a calculator or something?

You'll never get \dfrac{2^n}{2^n + 1} = 1 for any finite n.
gn17
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
How can you possibly get A to be 1? Are you doing some sort of estimation with a calculator or something?

I just realised my mistake, yes I did use a calculator and I didn't know that a calculator would round off the answer, I thought even the calculator would not give us 1 or -1 for any value of n, thanks for pointing that out. I know it was a non-calc question but I wasn't able to work it out without the calc, turns I out I couldn't do it with the calc as well!
gn17
Rep:
?

Can I also ask how you know that it will never give us 1? Is it because if we take the limit as n tends to infinity we get 1?
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gn17)
I just realised my mistake, yes I did use a calculator and I didn't know that a calculator would round off the answer, I thought even the calculator would not give us 1 or -1 for any value of n, thanks for pointing that out. I know it was a non-calc question but I wasn't able to work it out without the calc, turns I out I couldn't do it with the calc as well!
It returns an answer correct to 16dp or whatever. Once the value of the expression is greater than 0.9999999999999999, it will return 1.000000000000000.
gn17
Rep:
?
It returns an answer correct to 16dp or whatever. Once the value of the expression is greater than 0.9999999999999999, it will return 1.000000000000000.
Yh, just found out, thanks for your help
james22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gn17)
Can I also ask how you know that it will never give us 1? Is it because if we take the limit as n tends to infinity we get 1?
The only way it can be 1 is if 2^n/(2^n+1)=1 so 2^n=1+2^n so 1=0, which is a contradiction so it will never equal 1.
astroturf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gn17)
let me give one simple advice: take your calculator home and forget about it (assuming you are studying maths at any serious uni)
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by astroturf)
let me give one simple advice: take your calculator home and forget about it (assuming you are studying maths at any serious uni)
Well said - I haven't used a calculator in all my one-and-three-quarter years.
Noble.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well said - I haven't used a calculator in all my one-and-three-quarter years.
I can't even think of an undergrad topic where a calculator would be any use...
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Noble.)
There was one question in a numerical analysis example sheet which asked you to simulate a five-decimal-place computer. By hand. Performing approximately twenty additions, ten multiplications and five divisions.
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There was one question in a numerical analysis example sheet which asked you to simulate a five-decimal-place computer. By hand. Performing approximately twenty additions, ten multiplications and five divisions.
And your problem with that is?
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And your problem with that is?
You sadist!
james22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Noble.)
Some more advanced stats modules use one I think.
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You sadist!
No calculators in the Tripos!
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gn17)
You're overthinking it a lot. It's entirely possible to have a sequence that tends to one and that has values including one (the sequence (1,1,1,...) being an obvious example, and alternating terms between this and any other sequence tending to one will give you some non-trivial examples). It isn't, however, possible to have a strictly increasing sequence tending to one that takes the value 1 for some n.

Whilst that is a reason why \frac{2^n}{2^n+1}\neq 1 for all n, it's far from the most obvious reason. The obvious reason is that a fraction is equal to one if and only if the numerator and denominator are equal, and it should be obvious that 2^n \neq 2^n+1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (45)
17.31%
No one else does (81)
31.15%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.77%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (88)
33.85%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.92%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.69%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.31%

Watched Threads