Emperor Sheev
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello there. I am an aspiring doctor and I am studying physics, biology, chemistry and psychology at A-Level. However i am thinking if i do not get into medicine in this country then what grade do i need to get into a reputable and high quality Caribbean medical school?

I have tried to find information on their website but they only talk about graduate entry for american students, so what is it like to british students? what grades?

I am mainly interested in St. Georges or St. Matthews. Help would really be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Miel Purple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just try to get in first....if not, go for a gap year

I really wouldn't advise you to go to the carribean, high fees, quality of teaching not as great here...
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miel Purple)
Just try to get in first....if not, go for a gap year

I really wouldn't advise you to go to the carribean, high fees, quality of teaching not as great here...
Thanks for your help. I would love to go to a UK med school and I am going to try my best, but the Caribbean idea is just a last resort to be honest. But what grades do you actually need to get into a caribbean medical school? Is it only graduate entry or are A-levels okay?
Miel Purple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jatyization)
Thanks for your help. I would love to go to a UK med school and I am going to try my best, but the Caribbean idea is just a last resort to be honest. But what grades do you actually need to get into a caribbean medical school? Is it only graduate entry or are A-levels okay?
A-levels are ok. I'm not sure what exact grades you need.
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miel Purple)
A-levels are ok. I'm not sure what exact grades you need.
Okay thank you anyway!
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello there. I am an aspiring doctor and I am studying physics, biology, chemistry and psychology at A-Level. However i am thinking if i do not get into medicine in this country then what grade do i need to get into a reputable and high quality Caribbean medical school?

I have tried to find information on their website but they only talk about graduate entry for american students, so what is it like to british students? what grades?

I am mainly interested in St. Georges or St. Matthews. Help would really be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
If they're following an American style curriculum (i.e. MD/DO) then it will be graduate entry only since medical school in the USA is only open to those who already have a degree.

Most UK students who study abroad do so in Europe...Czech Republic, Bulgaria and Hungary seem to be popular, but I've also heard that recently English language medical schools have opened in Spain, Holland and Italy. Might be worth looking into since if you go to med school in Europe you won't need to do the PLAB upon returning to the UK.
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you looked into UWI (university of the West Indies)? There you'll need grades of AAA and at least 40 hours volunteer time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
If they're following an American style curriculum (i.e. MD/DO) then it will be graduate entry only since medical school in the USA is only open to those who already have a degree.

Most UK students who study abroad do so in Europe...Czech Republic, Bulgaria and Hungary seem to be popular, but I've also heard that recently English language medical schools have opened in Spain, Holland and Italy. Might be worth looking into since if you go to med school in Europe you won't need to do the PLAB upon returning to the UK.
Thanks for your reply. European medical school was also another option of mine. I was interested in the new med schools which opened in Spain, Holland and Italy. I was just wondering how competitive would they be compared to something like Charles university in Prague?
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arieisit)
Have you looked into UWI (university of the West Indies)? There you'll need grades of AAA and at least 40 hours volunteer time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
WOW! I was not expecting that at all... So it is just as competitive as the UK? This is really surprising... :eek:
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
WOW! I was not expecting that at all... So it is just as competitive as the UK? This is really surprising... :eek:
Actually, it's more competitive than the UK because there are less medical schools in the Caribbean (only 3 I think) and many students want to get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
Actually, it's more competitive than the UK because there are less medical schools in the Caribbean (only 3 I think) and many students want to get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think your misinformed. There are a lot more than 3! I think there is around about 60 actually! :cool:
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think your misinformed. There are a lot more than 3! I think there is around about 60 actually! :cool:
60? In the Caribbean? That's impossible.

EDIT: I meant in the English speaking Caribbean. If you want to study in communist Cuba, well then there are much more than 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
60? In the Caribbean? That's impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No its not...

Here is a wikipedia link that stated there is 60: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._the_Caribbean
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is where tsr fails. With the st george's advert been continuously thrown at you, a lot of people think about this avenue even at a stage when it shouldn't be in their thoughts.

I've researched into the St george's route and from what I've done, there's too many conflicting information and I'm not going to try informing you.

To add to what democracy said, Malta is another place Uk student go to and surprising given that the course is recognised by GMC (iirc), free and reasonable entry scores, it's quite niche and relative unknown.

Here's the malta thread and I suggest to try it second after all avenue to get into uk uni has failed for you. The UK is by FAR your best bet and if you apply wisely and realistically, play the game (do work experience and voluntary work), it's relatively reasonable to get it.
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No its not...

Here is a wikipedia link that stated there is 60: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._the_Caribbean
I made an edit.

UWI and St. Georges are the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
(Original post by 419)
This is where tsr fails. With the st george's advert been continuously thrown at you, a lot of people think about this avenue even at a stage when it shouldn't be in their thoughts.

I've researched into the St george's route and from what I've done, there's too many conflicting information and I'm not going to try informing you.

To add to what democracy said, Malta is another place Uk student go to and surprising given that the course is recognised by GMC (iirc), free and reasonable entry scores, it's quite niche and relative unknown.

Here's the malta thread and I suggest to try it second after all avenue to get into uk uni has failed for you. The UK is by FAR your best bet and if you apply wisely and realistically, play the game (do work experience and voluntary work), it's relatively reasonable to get it.
Thanks for your advice and motivation. I appreciate it. I will definitely look into Malta as i have not looked into it yet and it seems interesting. But it is true! My aim is to get into the UK, there is no competing with the luxuries in UK med schools.
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?
@Arieisit: I think that deserves a rep, don't you think?
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
@Arieisit: I think that deserves a rep, don't you think?
I don't follow :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I spent sone time teaching UWI students - they are all american or canadian. A lot of them were doing clinical in america too as many caribbean islands aren't appropriate for teaching western style medicine, placements that I think they had to sort out themselves (?)

Do your research basically.
Emperor Sheev
Rep:
?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I corrected you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (47)
17.28%
No one else does (86)
31.62%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.29%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (92)
33.82%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.21%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.57%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.21%

Watched Threads