The Student Room Group

5 A levels?

I am currently in year 11, and am taking 11 GCSEs this year for which I am predicted all A*s and have got A*s in all my coursework so far (I also took GCSE German last year and got an A*). I am staying on at the same comprehensive for sixth form - it has a good reputation and the teachers have all been very supportive and willing to put in extra time to help students this year.

Next year, I have put down my options as English Lit, History, French, Physics and Maths (stats - our school runs the course so that you do the 3 core modules and then choose between mechanics, stats and decision making and do 3 modules in that). I plan on taking the five AS levels and then dropping one (almost certainly physics) at A2.

I have spoken to the school and the sixth form guidance teacher, and was told that considering my predicted grades and academic record, they would make an exception and allow me to take five, but that I should be aware that I may need to drop one a few months in. I will only have around 3-4 frees per fortnight, whereas people taking four will have around 8. I am particularly worried about not having enough free periods to do homework in, and coursework - does coursework still exist at A level? Or is it controlled assessment?

I know that universities do not want five subjects, and that taking too many subjects and consequently allowing grades to drop would be more damaging than having fewer a levels. However, I genuinely enjoy all the subjects and want to keep learning a broad range of subjects for as long as possible - but I am fairly sure that in the future, I am much more likely to apply for an arts/humanities (or possibly social sciences) degree than a science based one. Is it worth even trying to do physics?

Also, I do sports and music out of school and at the moment that takes up around 10 hours each week (including practice). Will I be able to continue with these activities, or do you think I'd need to cut down? I also want to do silver Duke of Edinburgh and I know that a significant amount of time must be devoted to volunteer work - is this a realistic possibility? And do people who take 5 have much of a social life?

Another thing to mention is that I have considered taking politics instead of physics (they are in the same column). Would this be a better idea?

I am not an especially organised worker, and I can take a long time to do things, but this usually pays off in that they are done to a high standard - and even if I leave things till the night before, I always meet deadlines. Plus, I really ENJOY working, despite the fact that I'm sometimes lazy.

Any advice or opinions (especially from anyone who has taken 5) is much appreciated! Sorry for writing such a long message.
Hey, I'm currently in year 13, I took 5 AS subjects (Chemistry, biology, sociology, maths and Arabic) and an EPQ titled "how much fluoride should British tap water contain?" and to be honest, the work load is not as much as everyone accentuates it to be as long as you don't get lazy and space your work throughout the academic year. i.e. don't leave everything to the last minute

You seem to have an impeccable academic record, work on your organisation though haha :3 you don't wonna mess up your future!

Good luck and feel free to pm me any queries
Reply 2
Woah, that's loads. You seem clever but GCSE's and A Levels are massively different. I suppose it's good because if you decide that you don't like one of your subjects at A Level, you can drop one without having to worry about not having enough. But that is a lot, and you'll be very stressed.

I do French and English literature out of those (also psychology, which is sooooo content heavy but incredibly fascinating) and they are difficult - French, there is loads and loads of work and things to remember and be mindful of constantly, literature there's a lot to learn. They're good subjects though.

I agree with R Dragon, the worst thing you can do is leave things pile up. DON'T!!!!!! I'm only doing 3 A Levels and I found it stressful having to catch up with things, so keep on top of everything and good luck!
Reply 3
I did Biology Chemistry Physics Maths and French at AS. I also play two instruments and have three dance classes a week. I had two free periods a week but never struggled to meet a deadline - as long as you're able to balance your social life with your work you'll be fine. You don't need 5 AS levels, but if unis are deciding between you and an otherwise identical candidate with four AS levels, you might have the edge over them, just another little thing that works in your favour.
If you end up dropping one before the summer, it's no biggie - you clearly chose subjects that you enjoy so it wouldn't be 'wasted time'
I would say go for it, good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
I do 5 AS's and I wasn't an exceptional student at GCSE. I got 1 A 2B & 3C's as well as 2 D's and a distinction. I'm doing really well in my 5 AS's but you will most likely have to drop your extra activities doing 5 A-levels, as they are incredibly time consuming. I get 3 frees a week.

Quick Reply

Latest